Eureka Mountain Mine Ride Maintenance

Drewboy

Hey guys, First time post. I think I can give you some more information on Eureka Mine Rides Status - not sure if it was mentioned earlier (didn't want to go through all the posts!). I was in Dreamworld in August this year, and I asked one of the employees walking past, what was the reason that the ride had been closed for so long. This is what she told me: - Dreamworld has been advised the material used to cover the "mountain" in some rare cases can be flammable. Now, as all of the rides wiring etc, is under said material, it is too expensive and difficult to repair. They have sent off samples of the material to some place, and are looking at options like respraying some sort of chemical over the top of the flammable material to ensure that it is not a safety concern to guests. From the sound of things the ride will not be coming back anytime soon. Unless they can find a solution to this flammable material - it would be just too much of a public liability nightmare if something ever happened. Hope they get something fixed soon though - that ride adds a lot of ambience in that area.
Well that would be a reasonable and believable excuse...had we not heard about 5 others excuses from DW as to why it's not running.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to add another piece to the speculation and whatnot, I'd read somewhere around a year ago that there was an incident on the mine ride whereby a passenger car was allowed to run into the back of another passenger car near the old unloading station or similar. It may have included something about the ride being immediately closed. Sorry I don't have any more information on the above - I had a quick google and couldn't find the original article. I'm aware that people likely wont take kindly to unreferenced speculation from a newbie on this issue, however I'm in the process of planning a trip to DW early next year and happened to notice the ride closed, and the ensuing search led me here. Take my information for what you will.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went on the Dreamworld website and found that after all this time - Eureka Mine Ride - Blue ringed ocotopus Does this mean we will never see them again? Have they gone for cheap way and just got rid of them after a long time, hoping nobody will notice Have they got sick of having the rides on the website, but they will re-open everntually? Or are they now back open? Could someone please answer these. If they have reopened, I will be very happy, and excited since I'm goning there really soon (I'm buying a pass, since there half price). But if not then I'm really dispointed in DW and there is no other way to put it for me! here's the link to their website maintence page: http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/stand...tionMaintenance

When I was looking out renewing my pass I contacted Dreamworld and the customer service emailed me back. "Mine Ride will be re-opening later in the year. We have a new ride also opening in September/October. Best to check our Website for all information Hope you decide to renew your pass. Kind regards Di Finniss Guest Services Manager” I guess Dreamworld where just telling me what I wanted to hear so I would buy another pass. I cannot see them reopening this ride at all. I reckon Dreamworld will just leave it there to rust just like they have with the chairlift. Dreamworld what the **** are you up to?

When I was on work experience I got to go into the mountain and look at the track inside. It was really cool, there were fake rock tubes everywhere. (This has probably been said before) The man I was with said that the wiring that the ride uses was covered by the fake rock foam so it is very difficult to fix a minor problem. He also said that they want to get it fixed but it will just take time.

Just a side note on maintenance... Why will the Tower of Terror be closed for the 19th of December? Seems strange to shut for only one day... It would be nice to see the mine ride re-open, it was a good alternative to the 'larger' rides back in the day, despite its nature. Then again, if they ripped it out and did something new I wouldn't be complaining... A completely new dark-ride/coaster would be pretty cool!

I just emailed DW and got this response within 15 mins! Wow! Hi Greg, The mine ride is still on an indefinate shut down so it is not being promoted on our list of rides. The ride is old and due to its' age finding replacement parts has proven difficult at the least. As our rides are thoroughly checked by our engineering team against our high safety standards, the mine ride will remain closed until alternative parts can be found to repair it to our safety standards. Regards Reception Dreamworld :blink:

^ as predicted! It's gotta make you wonder if they will keep searching or just get rid of it all together. What I don't understand is the ride is not the original design anyway. From my recollection the track has been changed three times - Initially there were some major changes involving a complete rebuild when it when from two seat cars to four and lastly when they took out the nasty bend at the end, straightening out the track. If DW really valued the future of the Mine ride, they would consider buying a new Mack design or something similar. I guess the way they see it is that would be a substantial investment for something that could not be promoted as a new attraction

Well as far fetched as it seems, the reason for the elephants and other african animals is they supposedly escaped from a travelling circus (or so the story went back then) I cannot explain the 8 foot tall T-Rex though.... SHEEESH!!
Well it is DREAMworld and thats probably their excuse as some dreams are really weird, And others suck :P .

- Yeah and how in Dreams, nothing really makes sense - just like DW's themeing :-/
I agree, their themeing in ocean parade or whatever its called is very strange, it doesnt even resemble what its name is, and the other areas of the park are so weirdly themed, but the old mining themeplace is about the only place properly themed

This is a real shame. The Park has possibly lost one of it's signature attractions. We can only hope it will be replaced with something similar only much better. Dollywood's Mystery Mine came at a US$17.5million price tag. I very much doubt DW would do anything quite so extravagant but they could pull off something similar for less. http://www.rcdb.com/ig3609.htm?picture=37 This coaster has a good capacity too (around 1000 per hour) which DW most certainly needs

Well, if this is the end of Eureka, I wouldn't expect a redevelopment in the short term. Keep in mind that the chair lift polls and entrances/exits are still in tact in spite of the ride out of operation for a while. I think you will find the mountain itself will be there for some time yet. If they were to redevelop it, I think you would find that the whole Imax and adjacent building complex would have to be redone as it and the mountain are adjoined. And doesn't the Rapids move under this area also? This could open up the opportunity to introduce a really interesting indoor/outdoor type ride in this area. But as I said, it sounds like a lot of work and money that probably won't be injected in the short term. I think Dreamworld may claim that Mick Doohan is a replacement for Eureka.