Eureka Mountain Mine Ride Maintenance

Drewboy

Well, if this is the end of Eureka, I wouldn't expect a redevelopment in the short term. Keep in mind that the chair lift polls and entrances/exits are still in tact in spite of the ride out of operation for a while. I think you will find the mountain itself will be there for some time yet. If they were to redevelop it, I think you would find that the whole Imax and adjacent building complex would have to be redone as it and the mountain are adjoined. And doesn't the Rapids move under this area also? This could open up the opportunity to introduce a really interesting indoor/outdoor type ride in this area. But as I said, it sounds like a lot of work and money that probably won't be injected in the short term. I think Dreamworld may claim that Mick Doohan is a replacement for Eureka.
I hope not. I agree that an indoor / outdoor type ride is in order as they now have no such type of ride in the park. I think the attraction to Eureka was that it was quite original, certaingly for its time. I always loved that kick in the back as your car appraoch the first ascent...

Oh, please... we can only hope that isn't the case! They have already done this with the Thunderbolt / Cyclone case. And on another similar topic, the "Stingray" is currently in peices near where the Thunderbolt used to stand. So i'm not sure what this means for the Stingray. I would personally like to see a EuroFighter or another compact roller coaster where the Mine Ride is. For this replacement, I personally wouldn't care if it didn't loop, it could be another family attraction while still being thrilling (more thrilling than the Motocoaster) And then for there next coaster build a Looper. My reasons for not caring about the inversions for this replacement is because the ride needs replacing, and it should be something similar. While a inverting coaster would be nice, there needs to be something more to do in Gold Rush that families can all do together. I'd either want to see something like a new Wild Mouse go in there, or something to the Caliber of Mystery Mine in Tennessee...

Right you are Spotty - it does need a replacement. Yet, unfortunately what seems to be the trend with Dreamworld is they are replacing too much and expanding too little. A EuroFighter would be great, but lately my mind is drawn towards the fact that this is ultimately Dreamworld, don't expect much. I'd be surprised if there was a new attraction next year, and I'd be shocked if it was anything to get excited over. While it would be nice to have several additions to Dreamworld, the fact is that right now it isn't going to happen. We can only hope that our friends up the road stay on the right path. If they do, they are sure to run Dreamworld out of business. By the way; I drive past Dreamworld every day pretty much - I had a look the other day at WhiteWater World and the Green Room is not a pretty sight. It's faded badly and it has a slight orange tinge in some areas (some sort of stain I'm guessing)... I hope they can at least manage their new park.

Myk, I know what you mean about the Green Room, it's really faded already (and it hasn't even been open a year) Yet the Tornado down the road is still in great nick. Also things like the Temple Of Huey are also starting to fade, I'm really hoping that this park doesn't go downhill. I also know what you mean about the replacement for Eureka, I'm currently working on a No Limits coaster of what I'd like to see in it's place. But I don't expect to see anything major happening for Dreamworld next year, especially with the WhiteWater World Expansion planned for next year. But Dreamworld, feel free to prove me wrong!

I wouldn't get too annoyed at DW for the state of the green room, it is the fault of Proslide, they make nice products...too bad they don't weather very well. I couldn't find pics that really show it off well, but have a look at how glossy and bright new proslide rides look: sfgam162.jpg And compare to how dull and faded they look down the track: 17.jpg21.jpg As for Eurekas replacement, something along the lines of a Gerstualer Bobsled or a Mack E-motion coaster would fit the bill...too bad DW would be unlikely to do something like this though.

Edited by Gazza

• 3 weeks later...

MINE TRAIN RIDE TO REOPEN For the first time in a while dreamworld is doing something good, they will be reoipening the ride. This will not be for a while as they still havn't made plans for the full refurbishment and possible retheme of the ride. 1. The story about waiting on parts is false, they havn't planed what they need yet. 2. The ride will reopen but not for a while, possibly 6 months or more. 3. Re theme??? For the first time in a while a ride they ar building/rebuilding will have propper theming or will it???? :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Where did you get this information from?
That's what I wanna know too! I just love all the posts on here from people claiming they have inside information from a relative's friend's co-worker (or some mix of those) or a "contact" they have. I'm with MickeyD. I'll believe it when I see it!

Interesting this topic was set up on November 6 2006. OVER A YEAR AGO!! I was just flicking through the last 8 or so pages and we really haven't unearthed anything on the doubtful future of this once great little ride --Meanwhile DW has been slowly fading it off the map, seemingly hoping that everyone (including it's fans) will soon forget about it :(

ERR..... Guys, and Girls- There comes a time in the life of an attraction at a themepark where it is just not possible to continue. This is not because the attraction is unserviceable, or unpopular, but because the world moves on. The health and safety requirements of a ride in a themepark have come a very long way in 20 years. The 20 year old rides have not. Way back when the first ever double loop fully welded roller coaster in the southern hemisphere was built.............It was at Dreamworld. 20 years later it was a question of ..... Do we want to spend $5,000,000 to bring this thing up to modern safety standards and continue operating it?.. or do we want to pay an extra gazzilion dollars every year for insurance?... or should we scrap it, and buy a Cyclone? It's not that hard to figure out, and change is a good thing, especially when that means people will be safer.

There comes a time in the life of an attraction at a themepark where it is just not possible to continue. This is not because the attraction is unserviceable, or unpopular, but because the world moves on.
Interesting fact. But also a load of nonsense. You're actually saying that in every circumstance a ride that is popular and able to be justafiably maintained will eventually be removed? Simply because "the world moves on"? If you look at it on a world scale, the average regional theme park does not work on the model you have described. Most parks keep attractions until they are, as you said, unserviceable, unpopular or they are in the way of future expansion. Whichever it is, when an attraction needs to be removed, you'll see that it is removed swiftly and more often than not replaced with something else. There's no time when "the world just moves on"; most US parks feature a range of attractions dating back to when the park first opened. These attractions add much-needed depth to theme parks. The way I see it, new attractions promote growth in attendance, while the number of attractions justifies ticket price. We see ticket prices going up every year yet at the same time we've seen the park's number of attractions actually decrease. This is a totally unacceptable situation. I can assure you I couldn't care less either way with Eureka. It was a good ride but I'm not losing sleep over a theme park attraction. The point most people here are making is that either it should be removed and replaced with something new or brought back into service within an appropriate timeframe. The ride has simply been boarded up and we've seen no action since. I also struggle to see how anyone at Dreamworld could see its closure as beneficial to the park's image. We've got the remnants of a water park, a faded, disused chairlift and now a roller coaster cheaply boarded up. Guests do notice these things, and there's no denying that they reflect incredibly poorly on the park.

So true Richard. It has shocked and astounded me for years that DW Park management roam the place with tunnel vision, disregarding the things most in need of attention. It's a Paul Pressler style of management that surely cannot continue much longer without severely impacting the park's performance (and public image)

• 5 weeks later...

God, I only just found out then that the ride closed, Its so sad, I Loved that ride. Judging from what i have read Either Dreamworld is at the early stages of eiter revamping or totallt demolishing the eureka area, But still i think that if there going to demolish the mine ride and/or Rebuild a new one, They will proberley have to close down the river rapids for safty reasons, Because the rapids go right under the mountain, So basically the entire section of the park will remain ride-less. Is that chirlift ride still in operation, I hav'nt been in the park in like a year. But still its really kool to like go through a abanded ride. it would be so freaky :o - Jayme

Hey Guys (and Gals) I dont know how long it has been there, but when i was walking past yesterday, I noticed in the far corner behind the Carnival Game that they've relocated there, a blue sign saying something along the lines of 'We apologise for any inconvienience, we are making improvements for your enjoyment.' I dont know whether its only just been put up but i walk through there quite often and ive never noticed it before.

This was one of my favourite rides in Dreamworld. it was good for a quick fix of adrenaline and to keep the heart going, especially the second time you enter the mountain and you hit those two sharp 's' bend type of track. I can remember taking some awesome photo's on that ride when it was open. Hopefully something comes to fruition soon.

• 3 weeks later...