Wooden or Steel?

Mousenator

Wood or Steel  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer Dreamworld build a wooden or steel rollercoaster.

• Wooden
    • Steel

I reckon this thread needs a bump. Interestingly at the time of bumping, the poll in this thread stands at 25 votes each. Let us know what you think, and to help with the context of your answer, tell us what your favorite wood coaster is. My vote is till for steel, and of the wooden coasters I've been on, I'd say the best are Roller Coaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Blue Streak at Cedar Point. They were the best for me purely because I didn't get beat up on them, but I am yet to ride any of the good modern wooden coasters.

Edited by joz

Like a few other people have said, I don't mind as long as it's good! But I did vote for wood, because this threat asked which rollercoaster I would like to see in the park... And I would like a wooden coaster, I know that Dreamworld probably wouldn't maintain it well (who are we to judge though, they have never had a wooden coaster) but it would still be nice to have one. Just wondering, how was Bush Beast maintained at Wonderland? And what was the woody like? Any good?

I think the general consensus is it wasn't well maintained, and I agree with that. Making things worse, a clone of Bush Beast exists at Great America. According to Mitch Hawker's wooden coaster poll, Grizzly is currently ranked 181, out of 181 wooden coasters, and it's been in the bottom 20 for the past 10 years, so it's fair to say Bush Beast wasn't a great example of a wooden coaster.

A wooden coaster goes bad when it isnt maintained. If their maintain they can last forever. I prefer wooden roller coasters because i tend to find there is more of an atmosphere with riders which i rarely seen with Steel coasters and to me Its about the airtime, watching the staff greasing up the track before u ride makes it more exciting. The illusion that you are travelling faster than u actually are. A good wooden coaster can scare people like no other type of amusement because it structure does look fragile and the noise with the carriages speeding around the track. You can ride wooden coasters in most conditions, larger capacity, more people can ride. A dueling wooden coaster for me

Was reading through this post going - wow look at all these posters who have come out of the woodwork (pardon the pun) not realising it was bumped by joz. haha Im happy with either. I've never ridden a woodie and think they look pretty impressive, but steel is all I know so that's where I'm sending my vote.

I voted for wood, I've never ridden one and I think the Gold Coast has enough Steel, I would really love to try one and see the Gold Coast have one itself! I can't say what my favourite woodie is because I've never ridden one, but you can definitely maintain to a high standard, you only have to look at Busch Gardens and what they did with Gwazi only recently. They re-tracked most of the coaster and gave it new trains and now the feedback I've heard is that its smoother than ever.

it would be great to have a wooden coaster on the coast.. having recently moved here from syd, it would be great to ride a woodie again, i miss the bush beast, used to go to wonderland every weekend just to ride it i liked the fact that it was rough, and felt out of control, and the smell of the wood adds to the experience