Good, the bad and the ugly.

Jack607

Ok so Dreamworld... I just need some feedback if that's ok :D I'll go through the rides I'm thinking of going on.. then you can tell me yay or ney !! :D Cyclone - uh... is it a rough ride? I'll go on it without any hesitations as long as there is minimal head-banging. I've seen a few people complain about the Cyclone, so... yey or nay? The Claw - looks effing scary!! But... yeah. Is it actually good? Or just 'scary?' Cause I don't like the look of it... eek! Wipeout - Not the fastest of rides but still looks ok.. yey or ney? That's all I can think of for now.. I know there are heaps of other rides, but I just wanted to get the biggies out of the way... yes you comment on Big Drop and TOT, but I don't plan on going on them :P Cheers!! Hope to be hearing from you sooon... ;D xx jack

Just go on them and judge them yourself, thats the best way because everyone has different opinions.
That's true - but I'm only asking so I can plan my day. For instance; if everyone seems to love the Cyclone, then I'll ride that before I ride, lets say, the claw. In other words, I'm making a list - the rides at the top of the list are rides I MUST ride.. sounds confusing :S Even I'm having trouble putting it into my own words, but I want to get a certain amount of riding done and make sure I have the time to ride them - rather then just mope about and decide before I ride... gah. Hope that makes sense to someone. :blink:

Richo actually made a really good post for a DW stratergy. You might as well go on everything because you can. While you would naturally do your favourties first there is no reason not to do everything you want to. Who knows, after riding Cyclone (Its not even that bad) and the rest you might be in the mood to do TOT and GD. However, if you are going to do GD, just do it straight off as it has horrendous capacity and you dont want to be waiting ages or miss out. Just walk in and ride it, you will love it. It seems whenever you ride with people who are scared at the start, they just jump off and ride it again. Unfortunatley, i cant find that post, ill have a look, or Rich may beat me to it. EDIT: here it is.

As a very general rule of thumb (this certainly doesn't hold true for all rides), if the queue house for the ride in question isn't full your queue should be under 90 minutes. Some cases will be more, some will be less. Use common sense and you should be fine. Dreamworld is the park you most need to be strategic if you want to get everything done. It's all been mentioned here more or less, but I'll add some more. * Hit Giant Drop first. The only time this thing isn't agonising to queue for is when there is no queue. * While you're in this part of the park give Eureka Mountain a ride. It's very much an overlooked attraction but its abysmal capacity means that you'll waste a lot of time queuing for a mediocre ride if you don't hit it early. Time better spent queuing for better rides. * Cyclone would be your next best bet. It's a combination of a low capacity and a big queue house which means it has a very full queue most of the day. Just have to resist the urge to ride the queueless The Claw and Wipeout as you walk to it. * I'd go Tower of Terror next but its small queue house means it's often reasonably quick to get on despite being a lower capacity ride. If you hold off until later in the day, provided you're not joining the queue outside it won't be a bad wait. * Runaway Reptar is a good choice next if you want to ride it (it's not that bad) because it tends to draw huge queues. * From here it's up to you. Thunder River will be a big queue all day, but eventually the Queensland heat will get to you and you'll do anything to be wet. Rocky Hollow generally has smaller queues because of its location and small queue house. * All the flat rides in Ocean Parade will be very easy to knock over. * You'll probably have to consider a two-day ticket at this time of year (or whatever multi-park equivalent they may be offering by this point) with the family because I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of time in the animal sections of the park and at Wiggles World, Nickelodeon Central etc., as well as taking things at a slower pace with the kids than most members here would. The other Gold Coast parks don't need the same kind of attention and strategies. Sea World's rides are all easy to accomplish in a day, along with all the shows and animal attractions. Warner Bros. Movie World's major rides are all high capacity (Superman Escape, Scooby-Doo, Wild West Falls and Lethal Weapon are all 1000pph - the highest capacity on the Gold Coast - when running at full capacity) and you should be done with them in a few short hours to give you plenty of time with the shows and other smaller attractions.
Edited by Gazza

Richo actually made a really good post for a DW stratergy. You might as well go on everything because you can. While you would naturally do your favourties first there is no reason not to do everything you want to. Who knows, after riding Cyclone (Its not even that bad) and the rest you might be in the mood to do TOT and GD. However, if you are going to do GD, just do it straight off as it has horrendous capacity and you dont want to be waiting ages or miss out. Just walk in and ride it, you will love it. It seems whenever you ride with people who are scared at the start, they just jump off and ride it again. Unfortunatley, i cant find that post, ill have a look, or Rich may beat me to it. EDIT: here it is.
Cheers Gazza!! Will definately refer back to that when planning!! ;)

The Claw - looks effing scary!! But... yeah. Is it actually good? Or just 'scary?' Cause I don't like the look of it... eek!
The Claw is easily the best and funnest ride at Dreamworld. It probably looks scarier than it actually is. There's no rush to ride it early though because the queue is never longer than ten minutes.

The Claw is easily the best and funnest ride at Dreamworld. It probably looks scarier than it actually is. There's no rush to ride it early though because the queue is never longer than ten minutes.
Hahaha! I'm sure I'll be alright - the only thing that scares me is the height, but yes... it does look fun. It has a pretty high rider capacity which is probably why there's no rush to ride (good thing, means I can pump myself up... or not).

You will be fine. The claw is just a good laugh, and you can really feel those g's as you rush back through the station. I really do think though that you should do the GD and TOT. They make look and sound scary but there not. Just be grateful you don't have to ride with me, because I LOVE scaring the scared and nervous ones, hehe espicially on the GD. The trick to the GD drop is look straight ahead at the horizon, no where below it though, if its your first time and you look down you may get vertigo (no joke) but that rarely happens. And if you wanna know when your going to drop, just listen because when your up the top your still moving up slowly and you can hear the pulleys working in the tower, listen for this "winding" noise to stop, then when you hear it stop, hold on, because you know your going to drop. As for the TOT its very tame. Just sit back and relax, your belly will not drop from the free fall, its the launch that will get you, and heck, wave to the people looking up at you. Just don't sit on the side seat if it your first go. Hope that helps.

You will be fine. The claw is just a good laugh, and you can really feel those g's as you rush back through the station. I really do think though that you should do the GD and TOT. They make look and sound scary but there not. Just be grateful you don't have to ride with me, because I LOVE scaring the scared and nervous ones, hehe espicially on the GD. The trick to the GD drop is look straight ahead at the horizon, no where below it though, if its your first time and you look down you may get vertigo (no joke) but that rarely happens. And if you wanna know when your going to drop, just listen because when your up the top your still moving up slowly and you can hear the pulleys working in the tower, listen for this "winding" noise to stop, then when you hear it stop, hold on, because you know your going to drop. As for the TOT its very tame. Just sit back and relax, your belly will not drop from the free fall, its the launch that will get you, and heck, wave to the people looking up at you. Just don't sit on the side seat if it your first go. Hope that helps.
Sounds good!! Cheers for that - I've been on a drop before, don't think it was as big as GD, but still... it was ok but.. I tried to scream when I came down but I couldn't... and I couldn't breathe ahha! But yeah... hmm ok I might go on TOT, gah... I should just do it all!!

The claw is not as scary as it looks when you are on it and I found this ride was less scary than the cyclone. Check out my avatar its a photo of my sister and I on the cyclone. The one DW ride that freks me out is the tower of terror. I couldn't bring myself to get on it the last time I was at DW so this time I am going to try and overcome my fear of that ride and get on it. I think the loud noise the tower makes when the breaks activate scared me the most. Hey and to make this terror i fell worse Im going to DW on NYE and I will be riding these rides in the dark at night. Oooh scary

With the Cyclone, I find that if I hold the harness down my ears don't hit as much but that might be because I'm a shrimp. Don't be scared of the claw! I put it off for three days and was sorry I did..that was at least 7 rides I missed out on and once you go on it you will want to re-ride it again and again.

And if you wanna know when your going to drop, just listen because when your up the top your still moving up slowly and you can hear the pulleys working in the tower, listen for this "winding" noise to stop, then when you hear it stop, hold on, because you know your going to drop.
I got butterflies just reading that lol.

I know, that's why I'm so tempted to go on them.. BUT THEY'RE HIGH :(
I have just gotten back from the Gold Coast. It was probably my 7th time at Dreamworld, and my FIRST time on Giant Drop. I am usually afraid sick of heights-- but here's the thing... Standing on the 11th floor balcony of the hotel my head was spinning from the height. But up the top of GD on the windiest day I have ever spent at a theme park, I was absolutely fine! In fact I was loving it, looking at all the rides in the park from up there, checking out the BB studios and Whitewater World. I think because you're harnessed in, it just feels perfectly safe. And the feeling of the drop is something that you have to experience. It's like you know it's dropping and you feel yourself getting pushed up into the harness, but it looks as if you're not moving at all until you hit the brakes.

Don't be scared of the claw! I put it off for three days and was sorry I did..that was at least 7 rides I missed out on and once you go on it you will want to re-ride it again and again. I got butterflies just reading that lol.
Does the claw make you dizzy? I'm just concerned about the spinning aspect....it doesnt't look too bad.

Does the claw make you dizzy? I'm just concerned about the spinning aspect....it doesnt't look too bad.
As in the rotating of the seats? That does not make you dizzy at all. All that does is give you a different experience on each swing. It is great when you are facing directly up as you feel like you lift out of the seat but then the harness pulls you back down. When you face directly down it is a great rush seeing the ground rushing towards you. I wouldn't say the ride made me feel dizzy at all.

I remember first time I went on the GD I was PACKING myself, lol. I was like saying to myself outloud OHHH GOD! OHHHH NO! and that was only the first 20 metres! Haha, you the falling sensation is great, feels like you floating on air, and when you hit the brakes with your arms up it is so hard to keep them up, they get sucked into your legs. The claw doesn't make you dizzy, but if you ride it heaps of times you will get sick, not from the spinning but from the g-force. But a tip when you go on it, dont hold your arms up, put them out straight in front of you and also stick stiffen your legs and stick the parallel with your arms... why you ask? because when you reach maximum height and your face the ground you come out of the seat and the only thing that catches you is the harness, its a great felling and adds heaps of thrill to the ride, do the same if you ever go on the sling shot.

First time i went on GD it was 10 metres up and I was freaking out yelling I wanna get off and a stranger said there is only one way to get off, it made me laugh after my heartrate was down. I don't think claw is a thrill ride one bit it just feels great flying on going straight up.

The claw doesn't make you dizzy, but if you ride it heaps of times you will get sick, not from the spinning but from the g-force. But a tip when you go on it, dont hold your arms up, put them out straight in front of you and also stick stiffen your legs and stick the parallel with your arms... why you ask? because when you reach maximum height and your face the ground you come out of the seat and the only thing that catches you is the harness, its a great felling and adds heaps of thrill to the ride, do the same if you ever go on the sling shot.
It takes about 5 or 6 re-rides (one after the other) to make me feel sick enough to stop riding but my first ride I was wishing I hadn't gotten on lol. I stick my hands up straight (unless I cant get them up very far because of the person next to me then they go out straight) and my legs out straight and it's a great feeling but I come out of the seat any way because I'm so short so the hand/legs thing adds that extra 'thrill' but there's nothing like facing the ground in front of the que line and letting go and hearing people go "she's not holding on :o "