Schoolie loves SkyHawk

Bussy

Friday night draws 27,000 schoolies November 25, 2006 12:16pm Article from: AAP Source ABOUT 27,000 schoolies partied on the Gold Coast overnight with many intent on seeing the sunrise. With interstate school leavers expected to arrive today, the local schoolies were mostly well-behaved last night. "Generally, we have been seeing the crowds slowing down after around 1am (AEST) but today revellers seemed to stay out right up until 5am (AEST) when the nightclubs closed," said Acting Superintendent Jim Keogh. Considering the crowd numbers and their endurance, police arrests were minimal, police charging only one female and 13 male schoolies – mostly for public nuisance offences – he said. However, toolies again posed a bigger problem for police, with 72 people arrested for mostly public nuisance and drunk offences. The numbers of non-school leavers being arrested is almost double the number arrested last year. Among those, a 20-year-old man from Brisbane was charged for allegedly climbing an amusement ride in Surfers Paradise around 2am (AEST) today. Police noticed the man on top of the 12 stories high "Para Now" ride. Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Officers were about to get to the man with a cherry picker when he climbed down the structure, police said. The man has been charged with climbing a building or structure without reasonable excuse and is due to face Southport Magistrates Court on December 7, 2006. In Surfers Paradise a 23-year-old Sunshine Coast woman fell from a balcony. She fell from the first floor balcony while trying to climb across to a nearby nightclub just after midnight, police said. She did not sustain permanent injury and was taken to the Gold Coast Hospital.
Police praise schoolies, criticise 'toolies' By 7News Police say they are happy with the behaviour of most Queensland school leavers after week one of celebrations in Surfers Paradise, blaming most of the trouble on older revellers. The actions of older revellers have caused a night many would rather forget. Police have pleaded with non-school leaver, or 'toolies' to stay away from Surfers Paradise, hoping to avoid drunken altercations on the streets of Surfers. Surfers Paradise often experiences problems with drunk and disorderly conduct but even senior police were disgusted by the events of last evening. On the final night of celebrations 27,000 party-goers packed in to Cavil mall in Surfers, where a 22-year-old allegedly climbed a 12-storey-high amusement ride. "A 22 year old reveller sparked a full scale rescue after climbing a bungee tower in the city centre," Jim Keogh of the Gold Coast police said. The man has been charged and will face Southport Magistrates Court on December 7
It looks like SkyHawk has finally been used by someone, the ride now known as the Parashooter has been sitting dormant at Flycoaster for sometime now. "The Bus is now leaving for Climbboys Hill, NSW"

Ah yes, the old Skyhawk from Wonderland has proven popular with this years school leavers it would seem! Did you know that ride once stood about three quarters of the way up Magic Mountain, Nobby's Beach on the Gold Coast? The ill-faited Themepark simply couldn't stand up to SW & DW and eventually gave way to real estate developers in the late 80's. A real shame considering it was the Gold Coast's FIRST Fun Park - Long before SW. Sorry I can't provide any links. There seems to be practically nothing on the internet on this Park

Ah yes, the old Skyhawk from Wonderland has proven popular with this years school leavers it would seem! Did you know that ride once stood about three quarters of the way up Magic Mountain, Nobby's Beach on the Gold Coast? The ill-faited Themepark simply couldn't stand up to SW & DW and eventually gave way to real estate developers in the late 80's. A real shame considering it was the Gold Coast's FIRST Fun Park - Long before SW. Sorry I can't provide any links. There seems to be practically nothing on the internet on this Park
What is the name of the area (suburb) that now sits there? This was pointed out to me early this year as we drove past but I have forgotten the name

I guess the area is Mermaid Beach - but more specifically it is stil known as Nobby's Beach - about 1km south of Pacific Fair down the Gold Coast Highway. I just found this photo taken back in 1963: www.flickr.com/photos/41188800@N00/164019931/ Before it was Magic Mountain in the early 80's, it was known as Magic Castle. The Park was basically a Chair lift ride that took you to the top of the "Mountain" and had a Magic show and restaurant at the top. In the 1970's it featured Waterslides that ran from the very top to the bottom as well as other attractions like the Magic show & the chairlift (pictured) For about 4 years the Park closed down and re-opened in the early 80's as "Magic Mountain" It featured more modern attractions (for the time) such as the Paratower (Wonderland Skyhawk) Wave swinger (classic chair swing ride) double decker carousel, a shuttle bus from top to bottom, Dodgem Cars, little kids rides, a Magic Show, Giant climbing nets, the Chair lift and just before it closed down again -and for the last time- waterslides. Magic Mountain was loved by Children under 12 and clearly at the time, that was it's target audience. Unfortunately the park was built on the Nobby's peninsula and walking up and down all of those steps proved exhausting to many parents & grand parents who would take them there! It was also limited by land for it develop on. As I said, a REAL SHAME! The Park looked absolutely beautiful at night from the highway and those memories of 'swinging' over the cliffs were amongst the scariest & most fun in a Theme Park I have ever had!

I seem to recall being told they've spent upwards of a million on the ride, installed some new systems and whatnot, but it still doesn't work. As it stands now there isn't any money left to spend on it, but after they spent so much money on it they can't take it down, so they're currently trying to get the money up to finish it off.

I seem to recall being told they've spent upwards of a million on the ride, installed some new systems and whatnot, but it still doesn't work. As it stands now there isn't any money left to spend on it, but after they spent so much money on it they can't take it down, so they're currently trying to get the money up to finish it off.
Sloppy seconds. Hmm sounds reminiscent of Wonderland purchasing the rights and designs of new rides, but the plans lay dormant. Eg... the planned indiana jones ride, the fly coaster, ski dome, resort complex, exotic animals exhibit... Money invested in projects that failed. As for the old Skyhawk, when I went up to the coast last year, I jokingly made a comment to the operators that ill be suprised if they could ever get it up and running... what a surprise. Wonder what they'd charge guests for the ride .