Sea World and Killer Whales

Slight problem with actually have a whale in Seaworld on the Gold Coast is that you would need a huge amount of space. Australia doens't typically get Killer Whales in the area and to have a blue or humpback whale would just be extremely expensive. If anyone has every been whale watching before you would know that some of the blue and humpback whales are actually bigger than the boats.

Edited by Insane_eskimo

I know what you are talking about - they had something in the pool beside the ship. I believe it was one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_Killer_Whale
Yep Matty is right, they did have a False Killer Whale there back in the 80's, they nicknamed him "Squirt" and Seaworld had a cartoon version of him all over their merchandise. I remember seeing him perform there when I was a child, the arena now used for Quest For The Golden Seal was originally hosting a show called "Friends Of The Sea" or something along those lines, they used to have all the animals performing together in the one show :o I heard that Squirt died at some stage which is why he disappeared from the Seaworld image altogether :( It would be great if Seaworld got Killer Whales in however I dont think it will happen anytime soon, as other posters have said they need a LOT of room, and the holding pools have to be really really deep as well... I am guessing that even the lake they have there would not be deep enough to house one of these animals, if not more than one!!

• 1 month later...

A few years ago I was an avid supporter of the idea of orcas at Sea World (I'm sure you'd be able to dig up a few posts of mine supporting the cause). In recent times however, having spent a long time researching the creature and its history in captivity, I'm 100% against the idea of keeping orcas in captivity. Because of the low numbers of these creatures kept in captivity around the world (only 186 ever), there are some very good sources that have tracked every single orca kept in captivity. From this there is a wealth of evidence to suggest that keeping orcas in captivity is detrimental to their health. The life expectancy of an orca in the wild is 30 years for males and 50 for females. In captivity, more than two-thirds of those kept haven't lived past 10 years old. Less than 20 have ever lived beyond 20 and only two (females) have made it beyond 30. I'm sure you've all seen the orcas with dorsal fin collapse (the fin bent over). The reason most experts suggest for this is the lack of deep water means the males (who exhibit the collapse) aren't subjected to the higher pressures of deeper water in their adolescence when the fin is hardening. Smaller dolphins like the Bottlenose on the other hand generally live out their full life expectancy in captivity. Their smaller size means they don't need anywhere near as much space to be able to live comfortably. Orcas are amazing mammals, but I believe ones which are in no way suited to life in captivity. Interestingly, Sea World did have plans back in the 1980s to develop an orca exhibit, modelled after those in the USA SeaWorld parks. They ultimately went down a different path and short of reclaiming more of the Broadwater there's no way they'd be able to fit any enclosure that's even remotely capable of comfortably housing any orcas.

I don't want to sound like a hippie or vego here, but I think it's kind of sad that these animals are subjected to a life in captivity. I mean, Polar Bears are supposed to be at the Poles, not Australia. :S Sorry if I sound like a fruit loop.
I agree with you, and I am no way a hippie or vego either. I have never liked the fact that they have the polar bears at Sea World. The air conditioning isn't really enough.

You can naturally expect that the air conditioning for the animals down in the enclosure is a lower temperature than it is up on the viewing area where you're exposed to wind and sun. It's cooled to replicate a warm tundra summer similar to that experienced by polar bears in North America, which are actually quite warm in their summer. In the past when they have experimented with colder temperatures, they've found the bears less active and unwilling to play and swim in the water. Don't forget that the majority of their time is spent in the back-of-house enclosures where it's indoors and able to be more extensively cooled.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

QUOTE (matty_o_911 @ Dec 5 2006, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep Matty is right, they did have a False Killer Whale there back in the 80's, they nicknamed him "Squirt" and Seaworld had a cartoon version of him all over their merchandise.

That's weird I sort of remember that whale and how it was only a false one but I could have sworn that 'Squirt' was black and white but false killer whales are grey.

I guess my memory is shot but I do remember seeing him in the water and that's why I thought he was killer whale because his colours however this video confirms he was in fact grey.. seaworld ad from the 1980's.. Does anyone remember when the castle underneath the flume ride used to be open with a kids play area inside? That used to be cool.

Does really remind me and make me think the 80s were just a better time to live in :)

I hear ya!

Yes the 1980's had so much cool stuff:

Grundys (with the international food court where bowling is now) - And had the mini golf on the roof which I never tried and dodgems as well

I remember a place I think it was called Space Golf which was on Surfers Paradise Blvd about where Lorna Jane is now - it was a space themed putt putt

Putt Putt at Coolangatta Airport!

Putt Putt at Cararra opposite the markets, near the driving range (I only went there once but it had like Harbour bridge and other cool themed courses)

Magic Mountain - at least got to go there once too

All the american stuff - Denny's across road from Pac Fair. Also before Pac Fair used to have an outside area with restaurants

Coolangatta had a games area out the back of old theatre with those trampolines built into the ground

Yeah growing up as a kid now seems pretty lame compared to what we had. But I guess back in the 80's many things were built in over anticipation and didn't make enough money I guess to survive