how things work

zane

hi i started this topic for people who want to find out how things work at movie world so to start it off hears a link to a page where it tells you how superman escape works using kanonen (also a inamin launch coaster) as a example. http://www.coastersandmore.de/rides/kanone...nonen_eng.shtml and heres a nother link to how stealth at thorpe park works using the same launch system as superman escape. http://stealth.thorpepark.com/drawing_boar...oes_it_work.asp (i would love to explain how it woks myself, but it would take to lone to write it all out :P) and also if people were wonderin what that smoke effect thay use, it is actually steam (well if you were siting on the right hand side of the train you would of felt the heat as you whent pass the station scene were the wall falls toward you and the lockers shake.) There is a boiler that produces steam. This builds up pressure and is then forced through the lines to the exit points. The steam looses it heat very quickly as it is dispersed. the same system is used on the Bermuda Triangle at Sea World. :) ok this is the most exciting one "batwing space shot" well first of all its not a space shot, its a combo of both spaceshot and turbo drop heres a link to how this new exciting ride will work (can not wait!!!!!!!!! :lol: ) http://www.answers.com/topic/space-shot if any one would like to contribute any info on how things work in the park, your more than welcome :D

um, sort of, just a little moisture it really depends on the day, if the boiler is workin really good the steam is usually really thick and on others it's really week and i thought i might add this, in the mornin the boiler is not heated up so when they do the 1st test run, the last exit out of the building , th exit points spits water at the people lining up as the water is not heated and there would be some left over water form the night before sitting in the pipelines. its very funny to see them get a early wake up call!!!!!!

Well, its not really steam, but rather water vapour. The droplets are so small any wetness is negligible, and anyway blasting along at 100 km/h is fairly effective at drying any remaining water away. But, its odd because the steam has a smell that reminds me of the sterilisation systems used in food production, maybe there is a little side effect here and each run through the circut leaves those trains free of germs :P

and i know for a fact that it is steam as i sent a e-mail to movieworld to explain to me how this effect works, the effect is also used on expedition everest at walt disney animal kingdom and also on disneyland paris space mountain:2 at the launch. the water drips are from the steam hiting a flat piece of brass that re directs the steam so it dosent wet the track and so when you go through the tunnel and the pipes brake and steam starts to come out and when you go past the last one it drips warm water onto you, thats just the steam that hits the plat cooling down turing back to water and then its not a gas (steam) any more. http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0aa345e7f5.jpg]

Edited by zane

yes, sure well when you see the two men you really looking a a large piece of glass at a 45 deg angle, to your right (when turned) behind the wall is a projector room that projects the video on a screen and the glass simply just pickup the image off the screen. you can try it yourself! go a find a old cd case and take the clear plastic cover off. then remove the paper inside the cover so your left with a piece of clear plastic. go to a t.v and hold it at 45 deg angle to the t.v and look into the plastic and you sould see the t.v image appearing on the plastic. this effect is called peppers ghost look at pic to get a better idear :)th.f6a4e85906.jpg i think the image is a littel small, try this link hallway scene works

I'd like to know how Scooby Doo works, and what all the small green LED sensors are for, and if the red LED's in the cars are used for anything
yes, well the green leds are so they can track the trains going through the ride and the red ons are just for display and also just a littel thing, the effects (the things thay try to scare you) are all on a timer from when you start going up the first lift hill :)

The green sensors in the track are not LEDs, they are proximity sensors. They are used by the ride system to track the location of the 18 vehicles progressing through the attraction; primarily to prevent the cars colliding in the event of a failure. The effects won't be on a timer. They will be triggered by sensors adjacent to, or on, the track. A timing sequence can only work when there is a single vehicle moving through the show scene at a time. At any given time there'd be more than one vehicle going through the 'ghost train' section on Scooby. Timing simply isn't possible. That's not to say that sub-elements of the major effects aren't timed, for example: when a certain effect is triggered there might be lighting or other props that are activated by a timer.

Wait, i thought you had inside knowlege or something. Are you posting up what is known to be true, or what you think is true? As for the proximity sensors, i had thought that the green LEDs on them were just indicator lights, or do the LEDs play an active role in the system (Eg is the sensor system optical)

Edited by Gazza

Wait, i thought you had inside knowlege or something. Are you posting up what is known to be true, or what you think is true? As for the proximity sensors, i had thought that the green LEDs on them were just indicator lights, or do the LEDs play an active role in the system (Eg is the sensor system optical)
All the LED does is provide a visual representation that the sensor is active. The LED actually goes out when it detects a car. The green LEDs are only indicators - they don't have any active role in the actual sensing of a car.

"Wait, i thought you had inside knowlege or something. Are you posting up what is known to be true, or what you think is true?" well a bit of both really, most of the effects are facts as i study them and the rides too (just not that good on the whole sensor think though :) ) here's a good link to tell you all about the sensors sensor systems

The vortex on scooby doo uses this fog effect, but instead of using a coloured ring gobo, the laser is used and produces the ring. a similar laser is used up at the turntable, where it cuts away for the car to go thru Just a question, to see just how much you do know. Can you explain how the brakes work on Superman Escape?

Edited by ads086

oh yes! Supermans brakes well they are brass plates that are connected to the track and there are two strips arranged like this "II" they are very very strong rear earth Mag's that are connected to the bottom of each car on the train. as the train comes into the brake run the brass plates connected to the track slides between the two magnets under each car, triming the speed slowly making a big Woossshhh sound as it slows. these magnetic brakes use eddy currants which when the magnets passes over the plates the plates oppisites the direction the object (train) is moving, creating a very smooth and quiet stop with no jolting like other friction brakes :) and for the vortex, yes i know it uses lasers, but i was wanting to tell people how to create this effect at home

Ahhhhhh Zane, As usual, you bring nothing but perfect grammar, accurate spelling, and certain facts. I'm sure you will next be telling us about how the scooby doo spooky coaster trains have motors inside them in case of an emergency, and the red led's are actually fire sensors.... or something...

Here is an alternate explaination which i feel is a bit clearer than the above of how magnetic brakes work, its the nth time I have posted this, but alas... For starters, you have two paralel magnets placed a little bit apart, with the north side of one magnet facing the south side of the other. That makes a magnetic field exist between them. Now, when you move a length of conductor (Eg a wire, or in this case the copper brake fin on bottom of the car) through a magnetic field a current is created in the conductor. (Generators actually work by this principle, since coils of wire spin around in a magnetic field, since the coils are rotating, they are moving, and thats why you get current from a generator) So in this case, because the copper brake fin goes in between the pair of magnets you get a current in the fin. NOTE THAT BECAUSE THE BRAKE FIN IS MADE OF COPPER IT IS NOT ATTRACTED TO THE MAGNETS (since only very few metals can be attracted to magnets, like iron for example) Since the copper fin has a current flowing through it (yes current does flow) the copper fin acts like an electromagnet. (It is like when you wind coils of wire around a nail, and then let current flow through the coils by hooking it up to a battery, you make an electromagnet) Because of the direction of the current in the fin, the electromagnetic field created actually opposes the magnetic field from the pair of magnets mentioned at the start. Because these fields are opposing each other the train is forced to slow down. Just with the above explaination, i adapted it from something else, so it really refers to one where the copper fin is attached to the vehicle, but superman has the copper fins on the track. In reality there is little difference as one is moving relative to the other.

Edited by Gazza