Superman the Escape for Sale!

AugustVonPolen

My Gosh that is cheap, i think a lot of members here (though you would have to be pretty crazy) could sell their house, buy this and still have change (I am reading this correctly aren't I? it's one hundred and twenty five thousand) To put it in perspective that is the price of around 3 waterslides. But somethings not right here now that you look at it, its far too cheap for a ride that cost tens of millions, im guessing its either a typo or some sort of joke submission.

They're selling it because it's costly to maintain, costly to operate and long since overshadowed by better technology and better rides. It no longer serves a meaningful purpose at SFMM and the cost of relocation is clearly keeping them from moving it to another Six Flags park as they often do with other rides and coasters. It's going for less than one per cent of its original cost, but you can be guaranteed that a new buyer will need to spend somewhere in the high millions to deconstruct, relocate, assemble (with a redesigned structure to suit the new location's landscape) and get back into an operating state. Then you're faced with a ride that would cost much, much more than USD$125,000 per year to maintain and operate.

This ride's very similiar to Tower of Terror isn't it? Is the ToT technology much better? Can you imagine Dreamworld selling off the ToT!? That'd NEVER happen, not in a million years. I have a funny feeling Dreamworld will still be billing it as their major drawcard attraction in another 20 years from now (only because at this rate they probably won't have superseeded it with anything better)

This ride's very similiar to Tower of Terror isn't it?
No, Superman´s Tower is a little bit taller, thats is the only difference , the rest is the same technologie. Same Speed Same duartion Same acceleration ... Look at RCDB: ToT StE and also here Record Holders Speed In 1997 StE costs $20,000,000 USD :D Greets Auge

Yeah, it's an identical track profile. The only differences are that STE is a twin-tracked version, juts out off the edge of a hill (so in effect at its tallest point is higher off the ground) and has a lattice structure. TOT was designed with a tubular structure for the later addition of Giant Drop. Every other aspect of the two rides is identical. I think Tower of Terror's days are numbered. Granted we're talking probably 10 or more years down the track, but as it continues to become a more costly ride to maintain and operate and as newer more efficient technology dwarfs it, there'll come a point where it's just a liability to Dreamworld.

The ad'has been taken out by a reputable agent and their own website confirms the listing (thus hoax is out of the question). They also have a separate listing for the First-Generation Freefall attraction, and it's pretty difficult to every confuse the two, especially considering the listing has correct stats for the ride. Simply put, there's no way Six Flags could get rid of STE for much more because the relocation and reconstruction costs will quickly make it a much less favourable attraction than what today's technology can offer. The most interesting thing is the lack of online buzz about the ride's possible removal. People don't seem to be concerned at all about it, which really goes to show the regard held for this ride. The fact that an identical but overall less impressive ride is one of our signature attractions just shows how much our industry has lagged behind in the past decade or so.

I doubt it, it's still very much a signature attraction for DW and I dont think they would be inclined to let it go. MLT never really seem to close much anyway, save for the chairlift, I can see them milking this ride for what its worth. As for a replacement, well it could be basically anything as long as it fits onto the site, but lets not get too sidetracked with a "I think they should buiLd a 4th dimesoin coaster, but with a lunch like TTD, B&M should builf it IMO" type wishlist.

Edited by Gazza

Could you see them replacing TOT with a "Shuttle Launch" style ride? Something that has a better capacity? Something that rockets out of the station, a long a track, into a massive loop, then heads up the Dreamworld Tower. Basically, something similar to TOT?
No, not really. The last of these sorts of rides were built back in the late 1970s and the manufacturer of them doesn't exist anymore. There are a few around still, and many of them have served at multiple parks (must be easy to dissasemble and transport), but i really couldnt see DW picking one of these up, it would be a real step backwards. To be honest, if TOT did ever go I think a likley outcome could be to simply add extra lifts to GD or convert it to a gyro drop (some parks have converted towers like this, such as Heide Park) Edited by Gazza

• 3 weeks later...
Could somebody tell me how the old Intamin freefalls works? I'm a little bit confused at how the car stops and then goes from a horizontal angle to a vertical angle. Thanks: CoasterBoy6
It uses Giant electro magnets which repell it from the station at 160 kph, it then goes up the tower at a vertical angle but it doesn't go to the top.It then falls backwards down the tower and in to the station the magnets slow down the car as it comes in to the station, but I've had friends who have come back down and the car hit the back of the station. :wacko:

You guys are thinking of a reverse freefall coaster. The old Intamin freefall coasterboy8 is asking about is this type: http://database.thrillnetwork.com/dbgaller...php?rideid=2423 http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/ride..._drop/index.cfm A description of how it works is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freefall_(ride)

The first-generation free-falls are actually quite cool in the way they work. I rode the SFMM one in November and they still give a really freaky free-fall sensation despite their age...Mainly because you end up on your back. The restraints on them rip up your collar bone though. They'd make a nice addition to a smaller park, especially if given some nice theming.

Edited by Psycho

You guys are thinking of a reverse freefall coaster. The old Intamin freefall coasterboy8 is asking about is this type: http://database.thrillnetwork.com/dbgaller...php?rideid=2423 http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/ride..._drop/index.cfm A description of how it works is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freefall_(ride)
Well in that case............ I have no idea. :huh: