So whats next?

ads086

I was watching back thru the YouTube videos and watched Sunrise at Movie World for the opening of Superman:Escape. In the video they mention that it was part of a $65 million expansion of the park. The said Superman came in at $16million. Watching the Channel Ten news today I saw their piece on Batwing Spaceshot (which looks awesome) and they describe it as costing $5 or $6 million (I don't recall which). Thats only $21 or $22 million of $65. Thats $44 or $45 million to spend on future expansions. From reading on this forum we can guess that there is a new attraction going in where the outdoor queue line for Lethal Weapon is. That attraction surely wouldn't cost $45million, so where is the rest going to go?

I was watching back thru the YouTube videos and watched Sunrise at Movie World for the opening of Superman:Escape. In the video they mention that it was part of a $65 million expansion of the park. The said Superman came in at $16million. Watching the Channel Ten news today I saw their piece on Batwing Spaceshot (which looks awesome) and they describe it as costing $5 or $6 million (I don't recall which). Thats only $21 or $22 million of $65. Thats $44 or $45 million to spend on future expansions. From reading on this forum we can guess that there is a new attraction going in where the outdoor queue line for Lethal Weapon is. That attraction surely wouldn't cost $45million, so where is the rest going to go?
I'm alittle curious for this new attraction/ride going in the Lethal Weapon queue line. Will it be a continue for Lethal Weapon, like help tell the 'story' for the ride? OR will it be a completely different themed ride/attraction? I'm not really like the idea of 'jam packing' everything into the front of the park area. The 'Wild West' area still needs something, it's abit of a walk to there for one ride. They really need to spend some more money on expanding this area. Maybe adding a nice woodie to the area (discussed before). Ethier way, I'm sure Movieworld will do an excellent ride choice option with the ride/attraction. However, Like said before.. I'm alittle secpticle of the theming since the Lethal Weapon are is themed to 'China Town'. Edited by Chaos-Maniac

Well if you were stuck to China Town theming, what attractions would you install there?? Perhaps they'll just be using the theming of this area and building stores and small attractions to take up a few people. What could go in such a small area that could be themed to a China Town style? The only things that come to mind are hanging lanterns and dragons

I'm not really like the idea of 'jam packing' everything into the front of the park area. The 'Wild West' area still needs something, it's abit of a walk to there for one ride. They really need to spend some more money on expanding this area. Maybe adding a nice woodie to the area (discussed before).
Unfortunately with housing building up around the park at the back Movieworld is forced to keep the larger and louder attractions to the front. Thats why there is a barrier along one side of Wild West Falls - to block out the sound from neighbouring residents. The ultimate would be for an expantion into the back part of the park in the form of a massive Rollercoaster contained inside an enormous soundstage; for example THe Mummy at Universal Studious. One way to reduce the cost of building such a large soudstage is to build the ride below ground level reducing the height of the building required. This is not out of the question for an Australian theme park. One thing to consider though is the lack of visuall appeal - but just look at Wild West Falls, that is in itself is just a smaller akward shaped soundstage with a highly detailed and landscaped face. How awesome would it be to see a massive B+M Dive Machine (one of the few types of roller costers left tat we here in oz dont have) shooting in and out of a massive themed soundstage. Edited by Adam

How awesome would it be to see a massive B+M Dive Machine (one of the few types of roller costers left tat we here in oz dont have) shooting in and out of a massive themed soundstage.
Sorry to say this, But I highly doubt we would see a B+M installed into Movieworld in the next 5 to 10 yrs time.
Well if you were stuck to China Town theming, what attractions would you install there?? Perhaps they'll just be using the theming of this area and building stores and small attractions to take up a few people. What could go in such a small area that could be themed to a China Town style? The only things that come to mind are hanging lanterns and dragons
If you were not to stick to the China Town theming, it'll look very dumb. Imagen Looney Tunes theming in Gotham City, so on. It'll reuin it.
The ultimate would be for an expantion into the back part of the park in the form of a massive Rollercoaster contained inside an enormous soundstage; for example THe Mummy at Universal Studious. One way to reduce the cost of building such a large soudstage is to build the ride below ground level reducing the height of the building required. This is not out of the question for an Australian theme park.
I really think Movieworld need to stop building indoors. Like, I love the indoor themed rides. But it looks awaked having nearly all the rides indoor.

Yeah, I agree with you in a sense. SDSC wouldn't be anywhere near as good if it wasn't indoors though. I think that the ride should be visible from the highway so that people notice that there's something new and want to visit as opposed to a new shed which looks unappealing to most people. For example, on school trips last year to WnW, everyone saw SE having the final touches added to it and they were more excited about it than the fact they were going to WnW because they'd never seen it before... Anyway, just my opinion.

Unfortunately with housing building up around the park at the back Movieworld is forced to keep the larger and louder attractions to the front. Thats why there is a barrier along one side of Wild West Falls - to block out the sound from neighbouring residents.
What about a rapids ride? Its built at ground level, tends not to cause riders to scream much, and is generally outdoors eliminating the need for a sound stage.
One way to reduce the cost of building such a large soudstage is to build the ride below ground level reducing the height of the building required. This is not out of the question for an Australian theme park.
Excavating is much more expensive than simply building a higher structure, remember to build this below ground area retaining walls would have to be built, drainage would be difficult etc and of course getting earthmovers is not cheap. The area of concrete needed for retaining walls would be equal to the area of colorbond needed for the higher walls, and naturally the concrete is more expensive.
One thing to consider though is the lack of visuall appeal - but just look at Wild West Falls, that is in itself is just a smaller akward shaped soundstage with a highly detailed and landscaped face.
As long as the facades are done right its not a problem. Chinatown is flanked by the SE and SDSC sound stages, but they are well hidden. Similarly from the front of SDSC the main building is difficult to see. As long as the easily seen parts are done its not really a problem. I think a good approach is to have the main sound stage some distance back from the main park, with an indoor single storey queue line heading there.

Wasn't that cost for Wet 'n' Wild and Australian Outback Spectacular too?
I'd say they were reffering to a WVTP expansion, that would make more sense. Think about it:
  • H20 ZONE (WnW)
  • Superman ESCAPE (MW)
  • Sea World Eye (SW)
  • Austarlian Outback Spectacular
  • Batwing Spaceshot (MW)

Edited by Swanny

The Haunted Mansion has an elaborate way of getting guests to the attraction which is further away. (At Disneyland, California that is.) If it's done right I think Movie World could pull off what I think Gazza is suggesting with the queue towards the front, but the main ride building further away. (Although that could prove expensive...)

So I assume that by applying the same logic, Disneyland—one of the most successful theme parks ever made—is "awaked" for having most of its major attractions indoors? I can't help but wonder if Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and It's a Small World would have the same appeal if built outdoors. Many of the world's most exciting, surprising, innovative, and insane rides are built indoors. It's the only type of environment that allows the animators and architects to truly play god and control every aspect of the attraction. The amazing multi-sensory lighting and video effects would not be possible on the Indiana Jones Adventure, for example, if it had been built outdoors. It is excusable (and ultimately better) to build some rides outdoors; rides which primarily rely on extreme physical forces to provide enjoyment, such as Batwing Spaceshot. When it comes to adventure and storytelling though, I think an indoor and outdoor ride is the best combination. Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom is a perfect example of this. The $65 million dollar budget—which has been fully spent—was for Warner Village Theme Parks' four parks/attractions (including Outback Spectacular). The budget did not include Sea World Eye nor Batwing Spaceshot.

Edited by Adam

• 2 weeks later...
So I assume that by applying the same logic, Disneyland—one of the most successful theme parks ever made—is "awaked" for having most of its major attractions indoors? I can't help but wonder if Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and It's a Small World would have the same appeal if built outdoors. Many of the world's most exciting, surprising, innovative, and insane rides are built indoors. It's the only type of environment that allows the animators and architects to truly play god and control every aspect of the attraction. The amazing multi-sensory lighting and video effects would not be possible on the Indiana Jones Adventure, for example, if it had been built outdoors. It is excusable (and ultimately better) to build some rides outdoors; rides which primarily rely on extreme physical forces to provide enjoyment, such as Batwing Spaceshot. When it comes to adventure and storytelling though, I think an indoor and outdoor ride is the best combination. Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom is a perfect example of this.
Adam, Don't get me wrong. I like the fact of indoor coasters, and the never ending ideas you can come up with how to theme a coaster. What I'm trying to point out though, I (personally) hate seeing that crappy white colourbond! It's ugly. If they themed or did something more with the colourbond, it'd look a lot better. Also, If Movieworld's next ride is an indoor ride. I'd love to see it coming in and out of the building. Something similar to what Superman Escape does.