What is with Batwing's Themeing? - You decide

Coaster Boy 6

Batwings Themeing: Yes or No?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Has Batwing been treated with enough themeing?

• Yes, there is enough themeing
    • No, there is not enough themeing.
    • It's the new ride that counts.(At least we have another Australian first).

Since everyone has been commenting on Batwing's themeing, I've set up a poll just to let people vote. For the chit-chat about Batwing post in: Batwing Experiences. Well I'm one of the people who think that the themeing is not good enough. However, that's just one person. (not that it counts ;) ) CoasterBoy6

Edited by Adam

I know I sound like a fan boy, but I'm really just glad they didn't got to overboard on the scenery with the ride. I really don't think these types of rides lend themselves to being themed all that well, so I'm glad they just kept it simple and looking nice. I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect when the ride was under construction; just keep it simple and well presented, and make it easy to reride. It would appear they did this, so I voted that they did enough. Having said that, I would LOVE to see something done to the side of the Batman Adventure building, those studio style buildings are sooo ugly.

I don't mind the Batwing themeing and I really like the arch, but there could always be more. (Even if they had like a California Adventure style Tower of Terror I'd still be saying there could be more most likely. :D)

Edited by D.C.

I voted yes because I honestly think they have done damn well with the ride. I'll be honest I don't think that a spaceshot is the type of ride I would like to see at movie world, its too off the shelf flat ride and doesn't lend itself to being themed as a major attraction very well. That being the case what they have done with it is pretty damn nice, and there isn't much more you could really ask of them. The only exception I would say is if they had made this an semi-enclosed attraction with and indoor launch and all that jazz but I don't think that was what the park was going for here. So it is what it is, it's a spaceshot and with that in mind I think the ride has been presented extremely well, the other touches like the audio and smoke effects are nice too. So yes, whilst I think something like superman has failed to reach the bar on theming levels, I think they have done a nice job on Batwing.

I think a small building around the edges instead of the fencing would be nice. Have perspex wall sections so you can see into the launch area. Keep the water vapour on the tower like it is and have another set at the same level around this building. Let this be the height of the building, so the car is above the roofline before launch. Having the water vapour shooting out from the tower and toward to tower would give the smoke effect better. I'd also have video cameras installed that capture the riders faces before it shoots to the sky. You could use this for the on-ride photo, and also stream video footage onto the Superscreen in the park, with the countdown overlay, and then the launch. As far as a story goes, you could do something like the Batman Adventure ride, in that you are applying to become a pilot for Batman's new fleet of Batwings. The spaceshot is your final test to see if you can handle the gravitational forces applied to your body during a vertical launch of the Batwing. Story reminiscent (sp?) of the centrifuge that astronauts have to go on [see Armageddon for example] After you leave the ride, you then get led into another area and get told, in true job interivew/testing style, that they'll call you back. As far as implementing this theming, I would think perhaps modify some of the Adventure Ride pre-show rooms, and use some of the space in that building. Any time I've ever ridden that ride, the room is never full.

I think that while it doesnt look specifically "bad" they could have gone a bit further. There is no reason theming has to be intrusive in terms of both ensuring the ride is easy to get around or in terms of blocking the view, take a look at the Claw and Wipeout at DW, they both achieve both these goals. Even SP at WL proves a vertical attraction can be themed well without looking overdone (but of course SP was more enclosed which is what we are trying to avoid) I think with this though, the back of the ride is where they could have tidied up a bit, the space is there and it doesnt really matter about blocking any views since there isnt a viewing area on that side, and in fact it could help seperate BWSS more from SE. But if you look at things such as the side wall of the Batman Adventure mansion, and the colourbond maintenance building (not the op booth) you can see that they have really done nothing at all. The front of the ride is OK though because there they sort of had to strike a balance between having a themed attraction and making sure it is incoporated properly with the existing gardens around the fountain of fame/roundabout area, so i think the gardeners met this aspect. Id steet clear of going as far as a preshow, the pic I posted in another thread is what i reckon is a good extent to go with theming. But for me, the main issue is that they have established this premise about the Batwing "lifting off", but the theming for the ride doesnt really have anything to do with this. Granted they have done a countdown, and have graphics of the batwing on the ride vehicle, but even then these are pretty much normal things for this sort of ride (Even that mega drop carnie ride has a countdown). If you are going to do a ride around this theme then make sure that the theming actually matches with this. But certainly a bit more polish could have been added hence me voting "No there isnt enough"

Edited by Gazza

I voted yes, but it was by mistake (hence the edit). The theming on this ride should've been as good, if not better, than The Claw. Movie World has fallen short. It's a shame that they think an old recycled Batman vehicle counts as theming. A little more money could've gone a long way.

I voted yes, but it was by mistake (hence the edit). The theming on this ride should've been as good, if not better, than The Claw. Movie World has fallen short. It's a shame that they think an old recycled Batman vehicle counts as theming. A little more money could've gone a long way.
Im sorry guys but you all need to stress less about theming on simple rides like drop towers Just look at Maliboomer at DCA the theming is no where like Splash Mountain and thats Disney so Batwing fine with its current theming when you compare it to Scooby Doo ect. Also IMO the Batboat and Batmobile are very cool as they were sent from Warner Bros. after the movies were made in the 90s. The only thing I would have changed is a stage below the batboat and batmobile so they could be elevated more. So guys be happy that there is a new ride on the Coast and stop comparing it to non drop rides.

The theming on this ride should've been as good, if not better, than The Claw. Movie World has fallen short. A little more money could've gone a long way.
Exactly! The Claw and Wipeout are 2 perfect examples of flat rides themed simply and very effectively. The Batwing is not. Movie World should have this mastered but obviously not. Seems to me like the cost of Warner Village Parks' recent expansions has been a total cut in theming and presentation. It seems like they have made a trade off

m sorry guys but you all need to stress less about theming on simple rides like drop towers Just look at Maliboomer at DCA the theming is no where like Splash Mountain and thats Disney so Batwing fine with its current theming when you compare it to Scooby Doo ect.
But Maliboomer is at DCA not Disneyland, they are seperate parks. Its a bit like trying to compare what is done at SW with MW. Everybody knows that the paradise peir area of DCA is below what disney normally does so thats why that ride is fairly light with its theming. Also, maliboomer doesnt push itself as a themed attraction, but this one seems to. Look Rabid, i know you are a big supporter of what MW does, and i am too, but i feel they havent done well enough this time. Also, why does everyone keep saying that just because its a space shot it is too simple to theme, when there are rides like Dr Dooms Fear fall, Space probe, space vertigo at Gardaland etc all have great theming (God even GD in its heyday was a bit better). I think this is just a cop out, there is no reason no to have a themed queue and loading area. Also, for the sort of park MW is they need to do every ride pretty well, its no good to say that just because other parks dont they dont have to either. SDSC could have just been a normal wild mouse, roadrunner could have just been built over a patch of grass, SE could have been built without a preshow (instead with a Six flags style open station) but they opted not to and made these common rides something special, why couldn't have they done the same with this? Oh wait because its a space shot has this bizzare condition of being "simple" making any attempt to theme it completely and utterly impossible :rolleyes: I wonder how they managed some of the stuff in Looney Tunes village, those are even simpler, gosh they must have been really pushing it. People just have lower standards for space shots because half of them are at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks that dont theme anyway. And, as has been said, if they can do a good job with a Gyro Swing at DW (something which was also built in a tight spot) then MW should be able to do an even better job with this, i mean they are both basicaly similar in what you can do (put stuff around the outside, leave the middle clear for safety and ease of access), hence rabid why it is ok for me to be comparing with a "non drop ride" in this case. I think that if they had put $100,000 towards theming (just 2% of the cost of the ride itself so you cant complain its excessive) they could have done quite a good job.
So guys be happy that there is a new ride on the Coast and stop comparing it to non drop rides.
I am very happy about the space shot as a ride, im coming up in March to ride it. But please, dont tell me what to think. Edited by Gazza

But Maliboomer is at DCA not Disneyland, they are seperate parks. Its a bit like trying to compare what is done at SW with MW. Everybody knows that the paradise peir area of DCA is below what disney normally does so thats why that ride is fairly light with its theming. Also, maliboomer doesnt push itself as a themed attraction, but this one seems to.
(1) DCA is still Disney dont even go there with stupid comprassions like that seeing Grizzly River, Monster Inc, Muppets, Tower of Terror, Fliks Fun Fair all have awesome theming. And after Paradise Peir gets its big update which is a huge sum of money the whole place will look awesome and BTW nothing theming wise will be added to maliboomer in the upgrade Because it doesnt need it, its a tower ride not a dark ride.
Look Rabid, i know you are a big supporter of what MW does, and i am too, but i feel they havent done well enough this time.
(1)Im actually a big support of Walt Disney and have been for over 20years now, Problem is everybody here who complains about theming needs to realise until the park can get around the 20,000 mark daily we simply cant put lots of money into each ride Disney rides normally cost 5 times the amount of any normal park chain out there. So you can have one ride every 5 years or 1 ride or attraction every year. you do the math.
Also, why does everyone keep saying that just because its a space shot it is too simple to theme, when there are rides like Dr Dooms Fear fall, Space probe,
To be honest I didnt think Dr Dooms theming was that great compared to other rides at IOA, and as I was told last November 05 the Space Shot launch will be outside so we can see peoples faces on launch.
I am very happy about the space shot as a ride, im coming up in March to ride it. But please, dont tell me what to think.
Im glad you are coming to ride it, but please do not accuse me of telling you what to think, because I cant remember telling you what to think. I work my butt off on my website and I know Rich does over here and sometimes i feel like chucking the whole site in because its not worth it when you keeping getting people who just worry about little details, or the abuse throw at you plus we have social lifes outside of this too. So just understand when I give you or anyone on here a opinon Im just saying what i think the most logical answer is, as someone who has worked in the industry worldwide and been a fan since he was the 7 (im nearly 30 ;) ) So summing up Batwing didnt get over the top theming as we dont have the money attandance wise to be wasting it on a small attraction because the park will put alot of money into there next big project at the back of the park next year THE END

Hey guess what people... these theme park discussion forums are for theme park discussion. Not just theme park praise. We are all happy that Movie World is adding lots of new rides and we are all happy with the spaceshot. Some of us think the theming could have been executed a lot better, even without spending too much money. So while people are allowed to have their opinions that the whole ride and presentation is great we should also be allowed to say our thoughts that there are some areas where serious improvement could have been made, without being constantly shot down. What on earth is the point of having a discussion forum otherwise? If Movie World adds another attraction next year as Rabid has hinted at, I will be extremely impressed. I will give Movie World full credit for doing so but if the theming/presentation isn't up to par once again I will say it as I always have

It's funny you know because I thought it was pretty on par with The Claw and Wipeout. I mean the claw has coloured cement and an old recycled car as theming... Batwing has coloured cement and recycled vehicles for theming. Difference is these are actually REAL, WORKING film props. I think the big problem here is Claw and WO are high by Dreamworlds standards and BW is low by movie world standards. So people are getting a warped perception here. Doctor Doom is themed no better than BW, only difference is DD has a que building. At the end of the day if BW was at Dreamworld I'm sure everyone would be saying how well it was done...

Rabid, i hope you didn't think i was abusing you or anything, im just vocal with my opinions and everyone sort of knows that by now. It was never anything personal, but with the "telling me what to think" comment, you did say..

you all need to stress less about theming on simple rides like drop towers
So guys be happy that there is a new ride on the Coast
stop comparing it to non drop rides.
nothing theming wise will be added to maliboomer in the upgrade Because it doesnt need it, its a tower ride not a dark ride.
But a ride doesnt have to be a dark ride to have theming To be honest, i dont really care what DCA did with maliboomer anyway, they also built that mulholland madness ride, and that thing uses 2D cutouts as its theming (that primeval whirl thing at Animal Kingdom was pretty poor too) so Disney can do what they like, but we are talking about what MW is doing anyway. Im interested in hearing Adams opinion on the whole standard of DCA thing before this upgrade its having....
To be honest I didnt think Dr Dooms theming was that great compared to other rides at IOA, and as I was told last November 05 the Space Shot launch will be outside so we can see peoples faces on launch.
The point i was making about Dr Dooms is that it proves "simple rides like drop towers" can have good theming (and lets face it, while it may not be the best ride at IOA, it looks very cool. And yes, it was a great idea about having the area open so you could see the faces of riders (people are going to have a lot of funny memories), but why cant they just adapt what they do so it can still be themed, but still be viewable.
work my butt off on my website and I know Rich does over here and sometimes i feel like chucking the whole site in because its not worth it when you keeping getting people who just worry about little details, or the abuse throw at you plus we have social lifes outside of this too.
Just ignore those who abuse you, they have no idea. But what can i say, this is a theme park site, and enthusiasts are generally more critical (its a bit like how movie critics who see tons of films seem a bit harsh, food critics who eat everywhere, car reviewers etc etc) And anyway, if we are "worrying about little details" then it isnt really pointed at you.
So summing up Batwing didnt get over the top theming as we dont have the money attandance wise to be wasting it on a small attraction because the park will put alot of money into there next big project at the back of the park next year Im going to leave it at that, im not attacking you or anything, just saying what i think on the matter.
If that is what the parks line is then i dont think that is good enough. MW is as you once put it "Australias THEMED park" (and i totaly agree) and as such i think every ride should be of a high standardwith its theming, there is no room for cheap things just because they dont feel like spending anymore. See below for how they could improve it without breaking the bank. And Dj, i think WO is a better example to compare with. WO has/had: -Big Wave -Water Feature With fountains -Surf Shack op booth -Sandy Beach with flags -circling shark -surfboards standing up -tropical gardens BW has -formal gardens -batmobile and boat -steel arch (though this is more to mark the entrance to this part of the park and its rides, if we were to count this, then you would also need to count that 3D ocean parade sign) -industrial style op booth -mist But i think WO is more imaginitive in this case, the theming hits the nail on the head in terms of what the ride is about, batwing doesnt really (its batman themed in a generic sense, not really to do with the batwing taking off) Oh, and as for the claw, what about the big claw feet, the slashed up shade sails, that cool little notice board that gives a bit of a backstory, ride op booths with thatched roofs, and even with the car they didnt just plonk it in with a fence around, they squashed it for that comical effect. But IMO, it would have been cool if they had done some landing lights and line markings, burn marks around the base (like on the SE tunnels)put a fuel vessel between the two buildings (get a disused boiler from somwhere and paint it), had a few pipelines and high voltage cables etc running around the place (with labels such as "coolant" and "compressed nitrogen")and maybe some signage etc with warnings about it being a restricted area, fuel fire hazards etc, and fenced the launch area industrial style and done something about the side of the batman adventue building and the second op booth, and maybe get a few oil drums (if you cant get some of these free you arent trying hard enough). This is pretty much all basic stuff you could pick up from an industrial supplier, it wouldn't have been expensive (i seriously reckon less than $10,000, come on they probably spent more on those TV screens in the SE queue) but would have gone quite a way to actually making it look like a batwing launch zone. It wouldnt have had this extravegance some people seem to fear and best of all it would still enable people to look on. Also, because this ride is tiny i think doing these things would be plenty in terms of filling it up. Now if i could think of all these practical and doable things in less than 10 minutes then why couldnt they? One thing though, is this not the most interesting discussion we have had in ages, everyone is voicing their thoughts and has plenty to say, and it hasnt degenerated at all, now this is what a forum is all about :D :D :D Edited by Gazza

Now if i could think of all these practical and doable things in less than 10 minutes then why couldnt they?
Exactly. And your design illustration was absolutely perfect Gazza. It just seems to me like everything Warner Village has done recently has been very underdone (Superman Escape to a lesser extent wasn't quite up to usual MW standard, H20 Zone is a bunch of slides plonked out in the back paddock with almost zero presentation effort and now the very, very basic Batwing). As I've said I'm guessing it's a trade off because they have done so much in such a short time. Just a shame we can't have it both ways. And as Gazza said, it really wouldn't take much

Yes Movie World should of put a little more effort in themeing the ride but who cares. We have another Australian first....that's all that matters right?
No obviously that's not all that matters. If you look at the survey results you will see that for some people, theming and presentation is important. If just having a new ride was the ONLY thing that matters, why would parks bother putting any signage or landscaping in at all? They could all just do a Luna Park Sydney and plonk rides down on some asphalt