Australian first or world first?

sonic123488

Australian or world first?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Australian first?
    • World first?
    • no firsts just things that have already been done?
    • or non-coaster first?

Now this idea came up a while ago for me, Australia I believe could be aiming a little higher in the theme park industry. The fact is Australia's had plenty of Australian coaster firsts but (not that I know of)world firsts. I mean if we're trying to get people to travel to Australia we should have something that they can't do in their country. So far America and Europe have had all the fun! If you can come up with any ideas post them here, talk about whether it should be Australian or world first. Or just vote in the poll. B)

To be honest Im not really bothered about Austrailan or world firsts or any other marketing taglines like that. Im more interested in seeing fun, high quality attractions that set themselves apart in their own way. World firsts can be a bit troublesome as they are prototypes so they can break down often, and are unchartered teritory in terms of operations, SE for example wasn't a world first but it is no less of a ride, and they waited around and now we have a great ride that runs well. Though, Austrailan first rides are OK as it helps give a bit of a variety. And with the whole international tourist thing, well I'd imagine most of them would be here for other reasons, and any park visits would probably be coincidental. Most of our parks patronage are locals (Ill just wait patiently until someone pulls out the shareholder reports giving proper details :) ) so really thats all they need to focus on. I mean, a world first ride here alone probably wouldnt cause a lot of people to travel, and this would be eroded by the fact in a couple of years time similar rides would be avaliable overseas so that novelty factor would be gone. If you really did want to get internationals in then you would ultimatley have more sucess with things like the AOS next to MW or the AWE at DW.

Australian firsts for sure. Guests are looking for something new at different parks. The rids are what decides whether they visit Wet'n'Wild or WhiteWater World; or Movie World or Dreamworld! If there are Aussie firsts they will certainly visit these parks because there is more of a variety on offer and a new experience that can't be achieved anywhere else.

World-firsts so long as they work :P But some 'clone' rides I would like to see - * A family horror attraction - something in the vein of the Haunted Mansion but maybe an alternate scenario to that of a house, perhaps with Aussie theme - haunted abandoned Outback town, haunted gold mine etc. Okay, we have Scooby but that's very American. I would also want to see more dark ride elements and ones that are done in a high-tech way. * A Rock'n'Rollercoaster style indoor coaster. A) Could be themed to INXS or something like that. B) If they wanted to totally cash in with something contemporary, Australian Idol :P -> - Media getting to the Grand Final in time ,or: - Something like two of the people in each train are selected to be the Final 2. Some of the rockier songs from previous Idols being played throughout the ride & you could be sent through the streets of Sydney. Ride could end with the winner being announced and lighting effects/applause/etc. If it's a family coaster, then the winner could always be a kid - like at Disneyland where the person who pulls the sword from the stone is always a kid. I would prefer A) though as they're such a big band in Aussie music history and B) is a pretty cheesy idea (but could be ok if they executed it well). * A ride in the vein of the Disney Tower of Terror. A random elevator drop ride would be awesome.

Edited by Tony Teulan

Me, personally, I don't care about any firsts or anything. I'd just like to see a nice, enjoyable ride. And, if they're a first. Bonus! They shouldn't be chasing after them. Even though I've said before they should. I still don't believe they should, as we'd never see it happen here on Australia shores.

I guess that any ride is a good ride escpeacily when ausralia has 19 coasters and the U.S has something like 700 coasters
You also must take into effect, that U.S has like 2 + amusement parks in each state. We only have 5 in QLD, 2 in NSW, 1 in WA and 1 in VIC [talking bout majors]. Also, U.S is a bigger country. Which also is another reason why they have more coasters.

I agree with most of what Gazza said. It's just not viable for Australian parks to try and compete on a world level. That's not to say that Australian parks shouldn't have world class attractions, it just that we don't have the population and patronage to make it viable. Chaos, what are the 2 parks in NSW? "The Bus is now leaving for Viaduct Park, NSW"

I agree with most of what Gazza said. It's just not viable for Australian parks to try and compete on a world level. That's not to say that Australian parks shouldn't have world class attractions, it just that we don't have the population and patronage to make it viable. Chaos, what are the 2 parks in NSW? "The Bus is now leaving for Viaduct Park, NSW"
I'm not chaos byt I can tell you the two parks are Jamberoo action park and luna park sydney. B)

I don't care about either title. With the world first you'll just have some park in the States come up with something better in 6-12 months any way and with Australian firsts, although they are nice to have it'll only be a matter of time before the other park has something similar or something better. I just want a ride that is thrilling, (or)fun and something you'd go "I gotta ride that again" titles are just titles, they don't really make the ride anything more than what it is.

Tower of Terror was a world first when it opened and by todays standards sucks balls. Not saying that its not a good ride, but personally, give me a ride with a track record of being fun/popular over the long haul all the way.
Actully it wasn't superman the escape was the first one to break the 100 mph speed barrier. the tower of terror came after superman the escape have a look for yourself: http://www.sixflags.com/thrills.asp (look down the page)

Isn't there a certificate in the Office at DW from some theme park award thing that says the tot is the fastest and all that? I'm sure I saw it when you had to go in there to get you max pass done..and 100mph is actually 160kmph does the tot even go that fast? You know it'll be easy for Dreamworld to say on their site "Cyclone is Australia's first looping coaster" just because it's on the site doesn't make it true ;)

Edited by lisalila