AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I rode it again yesterday, once. Quite a short queue time even though my friend and I chose front row... both trains were operating. The thing is, to me it now seems faster. Before, I told my friend it kind of died after the first few turns and was waiting during the ride for it to do that so I could look at him & nod as if to say 'see?' But the ride's speed didn't seem to drastically drop like it did last time (about 3-4 weeks ago). It seemed a little bit stronger at launch but the main thing was the speed seemed much more constant. Has anyone else gone on it recently and would you agree?

Edited by Tony Teulan

I rode the Motocoaster at the Media Launch, as well as this weekend. The Motocoaster still does loose alot of speed towards the end. But from the photos of it that I saw, I never thought of it as a "Thrill" ride, but a "Family" ride. If I had to rate the Motocoaster on a Thrill Scale, it would probably get a 3 out of 10, but on a FAMILY scale, at least a 7.5 out of 10. I mean, it does certainly feel faster after riding it a few times. While it still isn't the worlds greatest coaster, it has a VERY broad appeal, as we have been able to see with the "Parent Swap" and sidecar feature. This means the ride can appeal to families with young children (6 - 7) as well as teenagers, and even older people (50 - 70, and don't say 70 year olds WONT ride this, because I've seen it) So for a broad appeal, this coaster was a very wise addition. But the ride was just purely marketed the wrong way and if it had been marketed with a family approach it probably wouldn't have been such a let down. Those are just my views on the ride. While it could have been better, it's still a solid attraction, and the capacity is rather high (approx 500 per hour from experience)

But... it's still a high capacity for Dreamworld... and the highest capacity out of all there rides. Also considering that it has just opened, this is a good thing as they won't have had the full time to master it. But once they have mastered the in's and out's of it, hopefully it will have a decent capacity. Another thing to remember is that Scooby Doo has multiple cars, and can fit more people on it per cycle, so of course it will 90% of the time have a greater capacity.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I headed down to DW to finally get a ride on this (#61) Now I didn't have particularly high hopes for this given what has been flying around about it, but this somehow managed to exceed my crapness expectations.... it really was just a poor coaster and mediocre in every respect. I went on first thing in the morning so I would have some hope of getting pole position. It broke down when I was about 4 trains from the front of the line....the motor system must have gone down....you could tell because all of a sudden the station became nice and quiet. Another point worth mentioning is how it makes all the handrails, floor etc in the station just vibrate constantly, which must be very irritating for the ride ops who have to put up with it all day. It seemed disorganized in the station, seats were going out empty and they weren't sending people to the gates early enough, often people were still finding their row after the train had pulled up, I would have expected the next batch of guests would be sent behind the gates as soon as the gates closed behind the batch of guests who were newly boarding. I used the single rider line on my other two rides which kept my waiting to a minimum. As for the ride...the launch felt weaker than TOT even, the one thing the ride did have going for it was that it was smooth, but other than that it just felt utterly forceless and plain bland, with all the elements being too gradual or wide, I mean where are the 'highlights' a good coaster should have? You know, moments where you see whats coming up ahead and think "here we go!", no its just turns and turns with no climax and a moderate feeling of speed (thats the other thing, while it doesn't slow down as much as I thought it would, it just seems to run steadily with no interesting changes in velocity. As for the trains, my advice is to get into a comfortable spot and don't fidget from it, on one of my rides my foot became badly placed so i got to experience my shins and thighs being drilled. IMO the sidecars actually deliver a better ride. Haha it is true.. Roadrunner/Flying Unicorn is better than this.

There we are, case closed. Because the ride has been open for a few months, any complaints or negative reviews henceforth are hereby invalid. It's way, way too early to see how the ride has performed from a business perspective. But if you want to, the increase in attendance announced in early January accounts for around 20,000 extra people visiting over a six month period, of which this coaster was open around four. Because the period it was compared against was a downturn on the year prior, factoring in this lost attendance, it's closer to 5,000 extra guests in terms of gross attendance growth. Taking recent per capita spend into account, we're looking at about $330,000 in increased revenue, or about $125,000 earnings. A $10 million investment... I wouldn't be taking this one to the bank anytime soon. As I said up front, there is no way anyone can pass judgement either way on whether it has 'done its job' this early in the game. But with those initial figures and a very wet summer, it's certainly not looking good just yet.

The ride has been open for months and months and months, park attendance has increased. it's done it's job. I think it's time to let this post go... enough bitching
Well, I just wanted to give my review of it, and until now I hadn't had an opportunity to ride it, people write trip reports and reviews about rides all the time....I guess It wouldn't be acceptable for people to give their thoughts on Corkscrew at SW if they had recently visited, after all, they would be over 20 years too late.