Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But last year they spent less (only Dorothys Rosy Teacups Ride and Nightmares and Flowrider) These would be a fair bit less than $6 mil. The way the capital expenditure allotment is set up means if they dont spend it, it just gets put aside for the future. So they actually would have plenty for a coaster.
But remember, that money doesn't necessarily go into OLNY adding new rides, does it? There are thousands of things they could spend thousands of dollars on, behind the scenes areas of the park, and other maintenance and repair issues. (As well as other things I'm guessing)

But remember, that money doesn't necessarily go into OLNY adding new rides, does it? There are thousands of things they could spend thousands of dollars on, behind the scenes areas of the park, and other maintenance and repair issues.
That's a really good point tom! However, out of the 6 million the park probably used a max of 2 million (probably even wayyy less) for maintenence and mabey only 1m for Flowrider and another 500,000 for Nightmares and Dorothy's Rosy Teacups Ride. So that adds an extra 2.5 million/3 million to this years budget. CoasterBoy6

dont forget.. maybe they will need heaps to fix the mine ride?

It's semi-official isn't it? Didn't they say it was from Intamin themselves? (Or I could be mistaken). Will this be a world first? :) There's already other motorbike coasters, but maybe this could be the first inverting one. We can dream!
sorry to sound dumb but.. what do you mean by inverting?

Capital expenditure goes exclusively into new investments such as new rides or new equipment. Operating expenditure is costs associated with maintenance, repairs etc., such as most of the other costs that have been mentioned. It's not quite as simple as what's left over this year goes into next year's kitty. There are many variables associated - think of it as more of a long term strategy than anything else.

Keep in mind guys that dreamworld fairly recently had a massive increase in capital growth, through its independant evaluation. They can use that boost in capital to help get finance for a major rollercoaster. The approximate cost for any of the current 11 intamin hydraulic launch coasters ranges from about 10 million aud to around the 35 million aud mark, none of them are chump change. So for dreamworld to do this they will more than likely spend alot more than the 6million allocated for this year.

I'm reckoning that Macquarie Bank will keep some of MLT's profit so it can buy out Qantas. :P Perhaps Rivertown will be turned into a transport hub... Like with the vintage cars and motorbikes... And Captain Sturts as well I guess. Atomiq will probably do very fantastic theming of the area. As long as the ride experience beats Cyclone, I will be happy.

If everything is true and the ride is going ahead it will possibly be considered prototype and therefore will be designed engineer manafactured and constructed inhouse at intamin, as was the first accellerator coaster. The ride would then be dissasembled and reassembled at location. That is if they actually consider it a full prototype although the launch mechanism has been well utilised in many other rollercoasters. Also i'd say if it were to be completed this year it would be finished around december before boxing day so that it is ready and tested before peak season.

I dont think they would take the full scale prototype approach, in effect its just a new train design, and I would imagine the underside of the train would be left the same. I mean the current Accelerator has had a few train designs already, and they haven't had to do an entire assembly and dissasembly to go along with it.

The Blue Lagoon water park area was closed in 2006 to ensure that Dreamworld would not be competing with WhiteWater World, a recently opened water park operated by the same company. A new attraction is set to open in December.
This is from the last paragraph of the History section of the Dreamworld article. Assuming that there are no other upcoming attractions (and assuming the information is accurate) this confirms that the ride will open in december (if on schedule). Full Dreamworld Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamworld#Other_attractions Edited by Swanny

This is from the last paragraph of the History section of the Dreamworld article. Assuming that there are no other upcoming attractions (and assuming the information is accurate) this confirms that the ride will open in december (if on schedule). Full Dreamworld Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamworld#Other_attractions
No that article was referring to December 2006 not 2007, in other words the 'Nightmares' attraction

• 2 weeks later...