Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

myk, if you are after some pics of a Motorbike coaster see: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2747.htm http://www.rcdb.com/ig3418.htm http://www.rcdb.com/ig2949.htm Bear in mind this is the Vekoma version, I have yet to see any pics of the Intamin one (well, it is a prototype) And Chaos, that was the sort of thing they could try, going under the TOT would be a bit hard since there isnt much clearance, but I could imagine it passing over quite easily, perhaps doing a helix around the tower. I suppose going over the water is possible too.

Yippee! :lol: How would they theme this? Hopefully they'll use the land which Blue Lagoon once occupied. I'm not too keen on the motocylcle style concept. But, I'm open to see how it is. I've never really seen what they look like or how they run/work.
According to news paper article, Nightmares is sticking around at dreamworld for 6 mths, so the new ride wont be being built there anytime soon.

And Chaos, that was the sort of thing they could try, going under the TOT would be a bit hard since there isnt much clearance, but I could imagine it passing over quite easily, perhaps doing a helix around the tower. I suppose going over the water is possible too.
Would they be able to build a ditch into the ground underneath the TOT track? I don't know why, I just think it would be awesome, and add a lot of thrill to the ride to see/have the track pass under and over the TOT track. :) I wouldn't mind a helix around the tower too, would it be able to be big enough to go from the ground up and around the Giant Drop entrance/station? It'd be pretty awesome to be lining up for Giant drop and see the coaster go flying up around on in a helix. :o:lol: Maybe something like this helix but steeper/higher? http://www.rcdb.com/ig2747.htm?picture=8 Also, I've been thinking. Maybe Dreamworld could try to buy the rights for the movie Torque (motorbike movie, like Fast & Furious) and theme the movie around that? Who made this movie? B) Edited by Chaos-Maniac

I heard today from an inside source who actually managed to get a quick peek at the plans for the new rollercoaster. Gazza you're right, it is going to be built around the vintage cars area (an area I have also suggested previously would be perfect for a new coaster). My source reckoned it looked pretty wussy though, a relatively small layout with only 3 'circles'. That's all the info I could get. I am certainly pleased that Dreamworld is finally adding a new ride. However I don't think a small motorbike coaster is enough after a 3 year absence of any new ride. We should be seeing a hyper coaster being built in this area and going out over the lake. I don't know a lot about these motorbike coasters but I don't really understand why people get so excited about them. They just look so damn small and unimpressive. To me it is the sort of ride Dreamworld should be adding AFTER they have already added a significant number of other larger coasters and are running out of ideas

Found this on YouTube.

This is the one called Velocity in Flamingo Land Theme Park & Zoo Malton, Yorkshire UK. This video from YouTube, has one ride footage of Velocity, as well as other attractions in the park.
(Its around the 1min 20sec mark on the video where the booster bike footage comes in, if you don't want to watch the whole thing) Edited by tom

If this is really going to be an Intamin coaster, which I doubt as much as the Movie Park Germany coaster suggested in the same article, it´s going to be fun: - prototype - hydrolic launch - intamin Those words... Hhm... That's not going to work the first two years! :D

Yay for my prediction, thanks Joz... At first look the Flamingoland Booster Bike appears tame, but the launch and the G-Forces you experience during the ride whilst sitting in an unusual position makes it all the more thrilling, different and enjoyable. Having ridden the one at Flamingoland, I think it's pretty safe to say that I haven't been on any other coaster either here or overseas that creates a sensation that's quite the same. It's really not possible for anyone to comment about how lame it or its layout might be unless you've experienced what it's like to actually be on one of these coasters...

A Short History Overview about MotorcycleCoasters: Intamin will be the 3rd constructor of MotorCycleCoasters, i think. Vekoma came first, 2004, with their Boosterbike at Toverland

2005 they built the biger one, Velocity, in England and 2006 came a BoosterBike Clone, Motorbike Launch Coaster, to China. Zamperla came in 2006 with their Version of a Motorcyclecoaster, MotoGP. Link to MotoGP Video1 Video2 More Pictures Lets see how Intamin makes it in 2007..... B) Greets Auge Edited by AugustVonPolen

However, Intamin will be the first to use a cable launch! The rest use LIM's don't they? Anyway, hopefully what Intamin is doing, is using a acceleration coaster, like SE with the cable launch. And just replacing the normal seats with motorcycles. I also hope they try and beat the speed on SE, mabey 0 to 120 in 2.5 seconds!! ^_^:D . CoasterBoy6

If it is built in the Cars area I'm pretty sure it will just be some name like "Maniac Motorcycles" and themed with the cars. And this doesn't look to exciting - not something I would rush out and buy a DW ticket for anyway. They need a good ride :( Save the 6 mil and build something big.

However, Intamin will be the first to use a cable launch! The rest use LIM's don't they?
No, I think by looking at photos, the one built by Vekoma is their version of the catapult system. Seen on coasters like Rockin' Roller-Coaster at MGM. http://www.rcdb.com/ig2747.htm?picture=27 Like in this picture, you can see the catch car and the inner tracks it runs down to launch the train. Correct me if I'm wrong. :) Edited by tom

Vekoma do indeed use their own hydraulic system for the launch, making nothing really 'world first' about the Intamin version (the first from a particular manufacturer doesn't really qualify it for any particular ovation). Interestingly on the topic of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, this attraction actually features an LSM-powered sled launch.

Vekoma do indeed use their own hydraulic system for the launch, making nothing really 'world first' about the Intamin version (the first from a particular manufacturer doesn't really qualify it for any particular ovation). Interestingly on the topic of Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, this attraction actually features an LSM-powered sled launch.
So, does the Rockin' Roller Coaster still use a catch car to launch the coaster? Is LSM, Linear Synchronous Motor? (Or however you spell it, or is that completely wrong...?) Edited by tom

Hmm, interesting topic, but anyway....

Would they be able to build a ditch into the ground underneath the TOT track? I don't know why, I just think it would be awesome, and add a lot of thrill to the ride to see/have the track pass under and over the TOT track.
I thought about that, and yes it would be cool (It would be like corkscrew at SW with the track swooping under the monorail), but its just a question of wether DW thinks its worth the effort.
am certainly pleased that Dreamworld is finally adding a new ride. However I don't think a small motorbike coaster is enough after a 3 year absence of any new ride.
But see, DW has been getting plenty of visitors so I guess adding new rides in a random manner works for them, dissapointing IMO but thats just the way they run.
prototype - hydrolic launch - intamin Those words... Hhm... That's not going to work the first two years! biggrin.gif
See, the funny thing with that is the fact SE has run really well this year, I think it is more to do with the parks that run them.
No, Vekoma use a Cablelaunch, zamperla use LIM, i think.
Nah, Zamperla use some sort of cable system too, see the second pic down at http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewt...d69f9021ebdb198 And also, there is a fourth company that makes Motorbike coaster (this was revealed in 2004), see http://www.schaefer-amusement.com/
So, does the Rockin' Roller Coaster still use a catch car to launch the coaster? Is LSM, Linear Synchronous Motor? (Or however you spell it, or is that completely wrong...?)
Yep :) The one at disney has a catch car that runs on its own track in the middle and the catch car is moved by LSMs. Edited by Gazza

No,i did not asked you. But i wonder where Coasterboy get his information about a coaster no one knows
Sorry, guys for all the confusion :( . I didn't find that info anywhere. Infact I just thought that Vekoma would use LIM's or LSM's on the booster bike because they use them on all there other launched rollercoasters. 1. Anyway, how fast do you guys think this coaster will go? 2. And would it be like SE where you reach the speed in under a number of secs? CoasterBoy6

1. Anyway, how fast do you guys think this coaster will go? 2. And would it be like SE where you reach the speed in under a number of secs? CoasterBoy6
On the first point, i think maybe a top speed of 70 kmhֿ¹ or so given the size of the area and the fact it will probably be family oriented so it cant be too fast. On the second point, it would have to reach the speed under a determined number of seconds because if it didn't the launch would last for all of eterninty, but ill say 3 or so seconds and I can imagine DW using this as a marketing point (As they do with TOT: "Reach 160 kmhֿ¹ in 7 seconds")

On the second point, it would have to reach the speed under a determined number of seconds because if it didn't the launch would last for all of eterninty!
LOL!! Point taken. :P Anyway, I think they could get the speed up a little bit, mabey 80 to 85km/h. I think this would be just enough speed to make it a family coaster as well as a thrill ride. Especially if it does that speed, as you were saying, in 3 or more seconds. Oh, and what does the -1 on top of the Km/h mean:
kmhֿ¹
Thanks, CoasterBoy6 Edited by Coaster Boy 8