Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the great pics Shamona! And as Gazza was saying, those supports look really bulky (even though they are small). The square look makes it look out-of-place. :unsure: So now we ahve gone vertical on Dreamworld's new Motor-Coaster, I thought it might be a good idea to see what we MIGHT be install for us. Below I have taken the last picture from shamona's last post (sorry, I hope you don't mind) and tried to work out what types of elements they are. As everybody already knows, the long line of straight footers is most likely the launch track. But the other areas people are not so sure of. I'm not sure that what I put on the picture below is correct (and yes everybody is welcome to pick it to pieces!! :P ) but I hope it gives an idea:

post-1433-1183341027_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

I was kind of thinking that that last turned section would be a full banked turn into brakes just before the station, with the launch section being a little further along the straight bit. I will have to say that the supports and track look really different to what they have produced before. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when it is completed.

From seeing the site in person, my first impression of the yellow supports in Coaster Boy 8's picture was that the area was the station for the ride, due to the fact that there are 2 sets of footings next to each other (one for a possible transfer track), and just at the angle the footings veer off from the straight footings, it just looks like a transfer track. I may be wrong. I have attached a fairly recent picture of the area. Excuse the tree in the photo, it just, ummmm, jumped out at me. :) EDIT: I should probably consider adding the photo.

post-128-1183361315_thumb.jpg

Edited by T-bone

Great shots there Richo, it really shows everything off so you can see what they are doing. I think layout wise it could be a sort of figure 8 layout (since there are two sets of footers at the far end), basically a mini Rita. Also, now that I see the bent supports and the earthwork around it, I think that it could actually be a walkway that goes along the riverfront. They might want to cut away those branches though.

The coaster's track is yellow, making it the third coaster at Dreamworld with yellow track, after Cyclone and Rugrats Runaway Reptar.
But Rugrats is orange :huh:

^^I think the other RR clones have yellow track, correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe Richard just got them mixed up. I thought The Claw had yellow OSTR's until I rode it, kinda different I guess because it used to, but yeah, hope I'm on the right track.

Personally I've always looked at Reptar as dark yellow. Certainly compared with the "Nickledeon orange" covering everything in Nickelodeon Central it's not as dark. Each to their own I suppose. At any rate, they're certainly not being overly creative with track colour around the park. The colours and obvious nature of the ride point to a racing theme. Can't really see them going any other way with it.

The colours and obvious nature of the ride point to a racing theme. Can't really see them going any other way with it.
How does this theme of the coaster fit into River Town? Does this see the new theming of River Town? If the tracks were a dark colour [black?], I could see them theming it to a underground motorbike racing cult/group? Sounds like something similar to Fast and the Furious. I'd love to see a coaster themed around that situation. It could be a massive drug bust and your group have to get away? lol. :lol:

Certainly compared with the "Nickledeon orange" covering everything in Nickelodeon Central it's not as dark. Each to their own I suppose. At any rate, they're certainly not being overly creative with track colour around the park.
But having a look at this pic here http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...d=2&image=2 you can see the Nickelodeon "ball" and the track are the same sort of orange colour. IMO the orange they have used on the track is closer to the red end of the spectrum than the yellow end. In any case, its nowhere near the colour of Cyclone or the Motorbike. But ill leave it now since its a bit irrelevant.
The colours and obvious nature of the ride point to a racing theme. Can't really see them going any other way with it.
Agreed, I can totally see them going down the same path as a lot of other parks with their accelerators....expect some motorbike motor sounds and a tree of lights at the launch. Though I might say it is limiting to typecast motorbike coasters as a racing themed ride IMO.
How does this theme of the coaster fit into River Town?
It doesn't, this is DW we are talking about here.
Richard, With the tracks being so thin, do you feel it will run very fast? Around the same speed as SDSC or Road Runner?
Its not so much the thinness (which is pretty irrelevant) but the fact the track is only 2 tube. If you look at SE you can see the track has additional tubes and bracing to help it deal with the forces (the top hat is a prime example of this). Since the motorbike lacks this additional bracing we could expect a less forceful ride. As for speed, well 40km/h like Road Runner would be a bit slow for a launched, racing themed ride, I'd expect something in the 60-75km/h range.
Does this see the new theming of River Town?
In effect, this has already happened with Wiggles World. And since Model T lane is gone (Its open now in its new location by the way), pretty much all that is there is a fast food outlet and the Paddle steamer Dock. Personally, I can see some re-theming happen. I would like to see them shift the dock elsewhere in the park and start off with a fresh slate in terms of doing something with River town. Though, I might say your theme could be a little 'dark' for a family audience ( (M),A,V,D) , though I think a park like Universal could be capable of something like that. And, something funny I found. Ages ago I posted some of my ideas for DW in a thread here. Im sort of cringing a bit since my ideas were a bit wierd, I would like to think I have matured a bit. Though it is funny that some of them have occured. http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/in...?showtopic=1198
Moving off model T to a new spot would free up the area around TOTs launch, which would be used for an X sector style area encompassing the TOT and the GD and some other new thrills following the same theme.
Later on in the thread.
Now, for my Ideas for the Model T site Redevopment:It would be an X sector meets futuristic style area.It would have modern buildings using industrial look building materials, eg exposed concrete, exposed air conditioning ducts, stainless steel etc. GD would have a new ramp into the area with a proper grand entrance, I was thinking a 1.5 x 7m steel panel with the words “GIANT DROP” laser cut out of it and a silhouette the GD logo cut out of it. TOTs queue path would go into the area too, it would begin in the area, up a ramp over the end of main street where it meets river town, running parallel to the launch track with a Perspex screen so you can get a look at the ride while entering, it would then go back down to ground level an continue to the skull. It could be like a walk of doom. A new ride for this area could be a Vekoma motorbike coaster; themed to be like you are riding on a futuristic flying “Hover bike” on a skyway. The launch would be parallel to the TOT launch, with the track winding around the tower and through the themed area and back to the station. The colours would be metallic greys and silvers, with a stripe of electric blue on the ride vehicles. Along the course would be warning signs with pictograms of futuristic warnings. There could also be billboards, with advertising using DWs sponsors, adapted to suit the rides future theme, eg; “Coca Cola, now in an automatic bottle” or “Qantas, now flying to Alpha Centurai 3 times a week”, think the sort of adverts you would see in Futurama, but clean. Warp gates and short translucent tunnels would complete the rides total theme. The new area would also have a good flat ride to round the whole package off, perhaps a chance double inverter with a robotic theme?
Edited by Gazza

HOLY CRAP!! :blink: Gazza you just predicted the future! It wasn't exactly perfect but you sort of had the right idea. However, I like your idea much better than what Dreamworld is probably doing to the area. I like the X-Sector theme idea. This is what Dreamworld should have done when they were installing TOT and GD. Because now, as they are adding in new rides/rollercoasters, DW is making the rivertown area look out of place and abandoned. A perfect example of this is Wiggles World with all of it's bright colours. Oh well, nobody can change what DW has decided to do with the area. However, there is still hope that this new coaster makes River Town not so "out-there" so to speak. CoAsTeRbOy8

The track looks a lot like there indoor roller coaster track. post-1321-1183430188_thumb.jpg But Intamin say options such as catapult launch systems, loops, barrel turns and many more can be used for this track. We wil have to wait and see. I'm betting this is going to be a big let down. Another idea I just had. I think poles are different then the norm because on the height the track is from the ground. By reducing the height of the track and increasing the number of poles it would reduce shear in the track. If the shear of the track has been reduced from the use of these poles then it would make sense for the track size to be reduced and still able to go quick enough. And Richard that track is orange no matter how you look at it. LOL

Edited by skeetafly

However painfully irrelevant it is, take a look at Rugrats during construction: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...02&image=28 http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.p...02&image=37 It was a much lighter colour when it opened than it currently is through fading - bright colours fade quicker, so as it currently is it's a duller, darker colour than it was when it opened. My opening day photos aren't up on this site, but they show its track as several shades lighter than the ball. As I've said before, this coaster won't be topping Cyclone in speed, height or g-forces. We're talking about a coaster being built in a small area and on a tight budget. Don't expect anything that'll come close to Superman Escape in any way.

Sorry if I sound a bit rude by saying this, but reading through one of the older threads about MW's next ride, every seemed to be saying things like "Movie World won't be getting a coaster... Dreamworld will...". When asked if it would be a tilt coaster, there were replies such as "Nah, Dreamworld's new coaster will be FAR Better!"... Was this all just pure speculation? Was something else planned or what? I mean it could end up living up to those words but at the moment it doesn't seem like it. Anyway, I just thought it was strange to read that. Funny how things change and how weird it feels to read something you wrote only weeks ago but seem like forever...

I personally am going to hold my judgement since all we can really see so far is a few supports for the boring bits of the coaster. I was never expecting anything too big since its family oriented, but I think the twisting layout and the launch will be what makes it interesting, its all going to come down to the speed it runs at, if its got a fast launch speed its going to belt through those turns and be a nuts experience. IMO you have to experience rides first hand before making any judgement. And hey, since when do family rides suck? SDSC rocks. I think the reason people were expecting more is simply because DW is overdue for a large coaster, especially with SE down the road, and for a long time people have been saying DW is getting this and that, nobody was really expecting this sort of ride.

Edited by Gazza

Whilst everyone is not so excited about this ride, you just have to remember it is very early in the construction phase, so it is really hard to judge a ride at this current time if you don't know what it is. Look at WhiteWater World, at around this time last year, everyone was saying at how Boring WWW looks, and hey look now, everyone that has been loves it. I personally have faith, and whilst I cannot 100% say for sure, I think this ride will be a good one.

However painfully irrelevant it is, take a look at Rugrats during construction: As I've said before, this coaster won't be topping Cyclone in speed, height or g-forces. We're talking about a coaster being built in a small area and on a tight budget. Don't expect anything that'll come close to Superman Escape in any way.
Awww man.... I was getting really excited!! :angry::o

And hey, since when do family rides suck? SDSC rocks.
If this turns out to be anything like SDSC it'll be fine by me. I guess it IS a bit early to judge things, and I really do hope it turns out to be something good. Will this be open by the end of the year or do we still not know? Is it definitely hydraulic launch or possibly LIM or LSM?

Yeah, This new coaster looks CRAP! Sorry, But it does. I think Dreamworld have gone the cheap option and to get a new coaster, that sucks.
How in the name of whoever can you tell from some photos of some footings and a few pieces of track, that this ride is going to be crap? The layout has not been finished yet, there maybe elements in there we know nothing of, there is so much we don't know. But you are happy to right it off over a couple of pictures. I don't get it.