Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the news has been broken. Here are some new pics: Mick Doohan Moto Coaster: "Get behind the handlebars of the ultimate motorcycle thrill ride" September 2007. There were news crews and stuff everywhere there today so keep an eye out tonight. Check out all the pics yourself, but I think you will notice that this thing is going to be pretty awesome. This is going to cross its own path plenty of times and yeah, have a whole lot twists and turns. Also, check out in one of the pics, it looks as though it is going to sweap out over the water. It won't take long now. I cannot wait! S5000229.jpgS5000253.jpgS5000252.jpgS5000251.jpgS5000232.jpgS5000238.jpgS5000246.jpgS5000234.jpgS5000245.jpgS5000233.jpg

Edited by Churros

Mr Greg Shaw, CEO of Macquarie Leisure Trust Group, owners and operators of Dreamworld said: "We believe this ride is fantastic, and reaffirms Dreamworlds commitment to promotional tie ins. This will place the ride among others parks and attractions to leverage off a famous name, such as Tony Hawks Big Spin, Dollywood and of course, Colorado Adventure: The Michael Jackson Thrill Ride. Source MLT 2007

I think i just threw up a little! Could they have came up with a more horrible name, but thats just what i think!. At least there has been some more info released on the ride and so far looking ( sounding ) better than any of us could hope have hoped for. Well time to head back to dreamworld, early October should be the perfect time to go! Did they happen to release the track layout as well today or was it just the naming of the coaster?

Edited by rosscoe

The names alright. It isn't anything too ground breaking, but the logo, etc looks great. One thing is for sure now though, the info will just keep pooring in from here on. September is just over a month away, and just three days ago the place looked like the last batch of pics Richard put up, so they are putting the foot down to get it built.

I'm curious as to whether they are going to make any effort to re-theme the whole area to fit the racing theme. There's only about 2 months to go before opening. Is DW going to make a new area of the park or will it just be another attraction that's "plonked" in the middle of Rivertown? I agree - the logo looks great - but I still hate the name...

Sounds like this will be a pretty decent roller coaster after all..... sometimes patience and positive thinking really pays off. I knew Dreamworld where just bluffing with all the 'Just a family aatraction', good idea though helps to give the competition, Movieworld, a bum steer.... YAY cant wait for September opening!!!

Yeah I think it is a bit egotisical, but that said if someone offered me a cheque to use my name like this I wouldn't argue. Personally I think it's an absolutely bizarre name choice that'll polarise potential visitors. People keen on racing (the minority) will no doubt do for it while people who don't really care either way will not see it any differently to a ride that isn't branded like this. Then there's people who dislike racing will most likely be turned away by the whole concept whereas without the affiliation they may well have visited. You know, the same people that switch on the TV of Saturday afternoon and hastily turn it off moments later when they hear the sound of V8 or F1 engines. I can't realistically see it being anything more than a short-term licensing agreement, presumably around 3 years or thereabouts.

Hey, finally some solid info from Dreamworld!!! :lol: I personaly don't think that the coaster should have been named after somebody, but who cares. Most of the public won't say that they are going to ride the "Mick Doohan Moto Coaster" there just going to say "Moto Coaster". However, the presentaion of the name is really good. Oh, and thanks for the pictures Churros, you have provided some great views of the ride especially with more of the track up!! It seems to be a pretty decent coaster, especially the ending before the brakes (totally unexpected, thought they were going to do a turn around and then a small hill into the brakes). However, there is one complant. How come for all this time we have been told that it will be a family rollercoaster?? :blink: . It clearly states in one of Churros's pictures that the sign says: "Get behind the handlebars of the ultimate motorcycle thrill ride!! Apart from that it seems to be a good investment from Dreamworld and will most likely set a standard for the rest of the parks to follow!! Thanks again Churros for going out of your way to keep us updated! CoasterBoy8

However, there is one complant. How come for all this time we have been told that it will be a family rollercoaster?? blink.gif . It clearly states in one of Churros's pictures that the sign says: "Get behind the handlebars of the ultimate motorcycle thrill ride!!
Again, it really comes down to what people define in their own minds as a thrill ride and what the park considers a thrill ride. I don't consider it a thrill ride myself because I have clear ideas in my own mind of what a thrill ride is. I guess for some "family thrill ride" can be a bit of an oxymoron.
Apart from that it seems to be a good investment from Dreamworld and will most likely set a standard for the rest of the parks to follow!! Thanks again Churros for going out of your way to keep us updated!
Yeah, ta for the pics. While I'm sure this will be a very fun ride, I doubt it will "set the standard" though, I think SE has set the bar pretty high for this type of ride despite its flaws, and I cant imagine the MDMC topping it. Edited by Gazza

I can't think of the figures right off the top of my head, but the height limit is I believe 135cm for the bikes and only 105cm or 110cm for the sidecar seats -- about the same as Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster and even Reptar's minimum. It's a thrill ride suitable for the entire family. I don't think it's a concept that's all that difficult to comprehend. It won't feature high g-forces, will have a tame launch and relatively sedate speeds etc. Everyone can obviously draw their own conclusions or conceptions about it, but Dreamworld are marketing it as a thrill ride to suit families.

I've been thinking about the name and I initially didn' like it, but it has grown on me, and I must say it is nice to have a themepark ride associated with an australian name instead of some american generic name. It keeps the ride associated with australian culture which i think recently the park has been missing. Oh and i like the logo, nb it looks very inline with atomix style. Also been thinking of other family thrill rides. Expedition everest is a family thrill ride and it's still a great ride. I will stick with what i said from the beginning, it's going to be fun.

The name certainly has grown upon me, but I feel I won't be walking around the park saying "I wanna ride the Mick Doohan Motocoaster", rather I think I will be saying "Lets go ride the Motocoaster". If you also look at the effect the name Mick Doohan has on the rides logo, I think it is very clear that in a few years the ride will just be named "Motocoaster".

With the stats the speed is good at 72km. The time at 55sec I think is short. The capacity for a dual loading station, which will be interesting to see as it will be a first in Australia, I think, is low. Considering LW and SW only have a single station, sort of, but have a higher capacity. But one question I want to know does anyone know if there is going to be any inversion?

I think we can safely say there wont be any inversions given that kids are going to be riding it. The thing is only 7m high so that would rule out pretty much any inversion except for a barrel roll. Plus we haven't seen any supports or footings that would facilitate holding up an inversion. Just with that dual loading station thing, where is the second station? Surely it isn't that second transfer track since that has a stopper at the end. Or will just be separate load and unload like SE? Also, about the fairly low capacity, remember that the number of stations isn't the only thing, ease of loading, and the number of cars in each train are important too (I think the train length is to blame, motorbike coasters by their nature have bulky seats and cant fit people in as tightly as normal coasters)

Yep, I think when Dreamworld talks "Thrill rides" they mean anything that will make you scream. I know there will be rides out there that are far more thrilling than this, but expect to get a decent rush out of it. I think Richard will back me up on this, but many of the pics really don't do the ride justice. When you see many of the supports, much of the track will dip and turn very close to other elements of the track and at the end head in close to the building. I think that at many stages people will be clinching their feet or ducking their head. And of course the best part is that it is a unique style of train. It is definately a step in the right direction. While it may not be at Superman Escape's standards, it really isn't fair to compare them. When you dig deep they utilise the same technology, but that is about as much as the two have in common. With regards to the discussion surrounding the name, etc. I honestly think it is good. Sure beats something like "Booster Bikes" and really isn't too long. I foresee people just refering to it as the MotoCoaster in time, which still has a nice ring to it. The Mick Doohan element - as Richard was saying - will probably appeal to quite a few motorsport enthusiasts the same way that Superman Escape and many other branded rides at Movieworld appeal to their respective followers. I know it is a long way off yet, but I just hope that in a couple of years they do not let the association with a real-life motochampion dwindle, as it could deminish the thematic quality of the ride. But we'll see how it goes before we worry about that. And in a few years time you would hope that Dreamworld would have installed something else to take the primary focus off this attraction. Edit: Oh and one quick question. When you refer to the height, is that based on the highest drop, or relative to the initial launch run? Because some of those supports around the first bend seem a little higher than 7 metres.

Edited by Churros

I think it's quite likely that they will have inline unload/load docks which like the superman escape should keep the queue moving pretty fast. Having dual stations usually makes locker/storage a bit difficult, I hope they don't use superman escapes solution having pay lockers. I am sure there is a perfectly good alternative possbily similar to claw/wipeouts storage solution.

^Yeah, and watch us repeatedly fork out the money for it :lol: The length of the station itself is large enough to hold two trains. I expect that they would have a seperate load and unload station. I think they could easily utilise a similar system to the Claw. It seems to be one of Dreamworld's more used systems (yeah, only two rides, but hey). The other thing that I will say, is that access to the station is a bit sketchy at this point. I don't think any pics show it, but the way the building, etc have been made, the final turn are in a very procarious position. It seems as though it isn't high enough for riders to access the station under it, but considering the space the building exists in, it would be quite a trek to go over the top of the track. If you were to go over the track, it would suggest that the final part of the ride would be 'indoors' as such. It is really awkward to explain, but it will be interesting to see how it works.

Ian has done an awesome update on the coaster showing heaps: http://ozcoaster.net/index.php?option=com_...9&Itemid=27 There are only 2 sidecars per train, the rest are doubling up with normal bikes. And the restraints look interesting, you straddle the bike, then slide foward and extra bits of body hold you in, then the bar shuts behind you so you are in a little enclosure and sitting upright. Theming looks pretty predictable, lots of chequered flags and walls with a similar motif. Personally I dont like it because its pretty unimaginative.

Edited by Gazza

Ian has done an awesome update on the coaster showing heaps: http://ozcoaster.net/index.php?option=com_...9&Itemid=27 There are only 2 sidecars per train, the rest are doubling up with normal bikes. And the restraints look interesting, you straddle the bike, then slide foward and extra bits of body hold you in, then the bar shuts behind you so you are in a little enclosure and sitting upright. Theming looks pretty predictable, lots of chequered flags and walls with a similar motif. Personally I dont like it because its pretty unimaginative.
Great update Ian. Love those pictures. :D I personally think there should maybe be another sidecar? Like, 3 sidecars per train. After all it is a family coaster? I like how the cars are different colours, adds more excitement I think. I agree with Gazza on the theming, I think it needs to have more effort put into it. Maybe (if room of course) they could build like a 'pretend' grandstand along the track somewhere and make it so guests and go up and watch the coaster on the course and take photos? Just think it needs some more effort, but we can only wait and see how it turns out.