Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This style of roller coaster has recently been built using a friction wheel launch system by another company.
Thats a flywheel launch, which is something different entirely. A friction wheel launch uses tens of tires arranged on the track that simply force the train along to launch it. Friction tyres are a common sight on roller coasters anyway in the station and brake run, this is just another application of the system. Here is a pic where you can see all the friction wheels lined up: http://www.rcdb.com/ig557.htm?picture=16 Edited by Gazza

Thanks for the pics, i like that last one. Just out of interest, where was that 'guts' photo taken? It looks like a hydraulic launch motor, but I'm still confused as to how it will be implemented on this ride. Saberon is probably right, the catch car rails will probably be bolted on, everything else seems to be on this :rolleyes: I still dont know how DW can say this ride has 18 banked curves, I guess its like Eejanaikas 14 inversions :rolleyes: You curve up and out of the launch (1) Change direction and head down (2) Over a bunny hop and around another helix (3) Change direction and up a helix (4) Change direction and around a curve like the last one on SE (5) Slight bend to the right (6) Slight bend to the left downwards (7) Bend up to the bunny hill in front of the brakes (8) Turnaround to the station, this is barely banked anyway (9) Each of those is only one turn, i dont know why they have doubled that figure. As for the layout, it looks ok, but I think after that first turn they could have made it into a bit of an airtime point similar to Rita, it seems odd on a family coaster to place the emphasis on postive G forces rather than "tummy tickling" negative g forces. It will be interesting to see what the two airtime points they did put in turn out like though, travelling over at a quick pace.

Edited by Gazza

I think I may have found an answer regarding the Rivertown theme when this new Motocoaster opens. This is taken directly from the dreamworld website. Rivertown Fast Foods is currently closed for renovations and will re open early September. I reckon we can now say goodbye to rivertown, and if sense provails, I wouldn't be suprised if the main dock for the boat was moved around, over to the farmyard friends part of the river.

I am personally looking forward to the part of the ride where you almost hit those trees! As for the airtime points, etc... it seems really odd the way they have implemented them. A good 'odd' don't get me wrong. I guess it will be interesting to see how it turns out. And it has probably been said before... but I think the biggest draw card will be the seating position. A lady was talking to me about the coaster prior to its official launch. She was saying that it would be something unique - she said she wasn't sure what exactly, but it could be a stand up or dangle leg one or something haha! I think she was trying to keep it secret so good on her. Also, as for the Hydraulic Launch... you never know, they may have a new system planned for this coaster, after all they are using a unique train style, and a unique track design from what they generally use. It is not unusual to develop a new application for current technologies.

I think I may have found an answer regarding the Rivertown theme when this new Motocoaster opens. This is taken directly from the dreamworld website. Rivertown Fast Foods is currently closed for renovations and will re open early September. I reckon we can now say goodbye to rivertown, and if sense provails, I wouldn't be suprised if the main dock for the boat was moved around, over to the farmyard friends part of the river.
Nice one, Dreamworld <_< /sarcasm. What do you think they will place there instead? I think it's safe to guess it will be racing themed, but will it still be fast food shops, or something new? Edited by Swanny

When will we start to see the trains attached?
Nobody could answer that question on here. Im interested to see what they do underneath the ride and around it in terms of theming, its been a while since DW has done a ride like this from the ground up, so it will be interesting to see how they make everything fit together considering they would have had a bit more freedom at the design stage (unlike the Claw or Cyclone where they were dealing with rides of a set design) Just a little question, does Cyclone have turnstiles blocking the exit ramp? I was just wondering if it were possible to get photos of the new WWW slides at the same time as the motocoaster pics. Edited by Gazza

Drove past today and i seen there building a Big Shed for something just behind the 3 tube slides around the cyclone helix. Its pretty Big. Someone should get a pic this weekend for you all to see, im bit busy atm. :)
Yeah I'd love to see some more slide pics. I assume they will be wanting to open them in September aswell so no doubt there has been some progress. I'm a bit worried to hear they are building a big shed behind the Temple of Huey. What could that be? Maybe it is that function area that has been talked about. I really hope they don't go wasting valuable waterpark land though

When will we start to see the trains attached?
Hey this week i think i am going to be the new CEO of Dreamworld, so let me see if i can answer this for you? Hang on let me just ask DreamworldRideOp for you! Sorry at this point we are trying to figure out why the Blue Lagoon is still closed. :D

Sorry if this has been posted. Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Engines! Dreamworld is “Doohan” it like it’s never been done before and is getting set to take motobike racing to the skies. In September 2007, Dreamworld will launch the hottest thrill ride to hit the coast this decade pushing adrenaline junkies to a brand new level. Five time, 500cc World Champion and World Record Holder, Mick Doohan will launch his very own thrill ride at Dreamworld this year allowing guests to get behind the handlebars on a circuit that has to be seen to be believed. “I’m extremely proud to be associated with a great Australian icon working on a venture that celebrates and pays respect to a great Australian sport and its achievements,” Mick Doohan said. Mick Doohan’s Motocoaster features a fast, fluid track with breath taking changes in elevation, high speed corners and plenty of quick left handers. It’s a motorbike rollercoaster, the first of its kind in Australia and the only motocoaster in the world featuring life-size replicas of 500cc racing bikes. Get ready for hard acceleration as Dreamworld blasts further up the thrill ride ladder with Mick Doohan’s massive Motocoaster this September.

It has actually.... <a href="http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/release.php?prid=59" target="_blank">http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/release.php?prid=59</a> but thanks for checking that on the tenth page of the discussion that it hadn't been posted already.
I did actually check but only like 1 page back because it was an email I hadn't gotten that long ago. :huh: Edit- I see that is a press release , well not all members read them ,I don't. Edited by stardust