Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

Ok I think we have an answer! Intamin actually do have another coaster that uses this system: Galaxy Express 999 I had always thought this ride had used a magnetic launch (Since it was their last launch coaster they commisioned before they began manufacturing Accelerators, and also because RCDB used to list it as a magnetic launch) , but it turns out it is a tyre launch but the tyres are driven by hydraulic motors rather than electric motors. Pics: http://www.rcdb.com/ig3138.htm?picture=6 http://www.rcdb.com/ig3138.htm?picture=5

Edited by Gazza

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK so I think we have established stardust was half asleep when she made that post ;) Moving on, this article was in todays Herald Sun: post-88-1187947187_thumb.jpg I still have no idea how the hell they can say this ride has 18 turns though :blink: I guess we can expect something to keep you occupied in the queue though with the historical information they mention, a good move compared to the other DW attractions.

The main pic they've used is clearly not Dreamworld's Motocoaster even though the caption says it is. Usual story. It actaully looks better than the one we're getting though... I think I'd prefer it... certainly in terms of track and train design aesthetics. I like the fact they pointed out in the article that 'the ride will be the first Dreamworld has built in three years'. Hehe, rub it in

Could we maybe see two circuits of the track? Dual stations would help make this possible wouldn't it? That said, every time the track turns past 90 degrees, it could be counted as a new turn? Can't wait to ride this one! Dreamworld certainly need to start stepping things up though; can they not see everything that is happening just down the road? They do say ignorance is bliss.

Dreamworld certainly need to start stepping things up though; can they not see everything that is happening just down the road?
I get the feeling that'll only happen when attendance starts languishing. The more I see this ride the more disappointed I become. I mean, any new coaster in Australia is good - it just seems that DW has taken the cheapest possible route to bring us one - especially considering they haven't added a new ride in what - 3 years? Will be interesting to see what MW's next planned attraction is though and how that impacts DW's next step.

I'm sorry since when is 10 million chump change? What we have coming is a unique highly unusual ride, that i can confidently say that will have a pretty damn quick launch on the assumption that these are high horsepower hiflow hydraulic friction wheels. They should be able launch at a substantial acceleration due the the amount of area of contact from train to tyre, it should be more that enough for a substantial launch with no skidding or slip. It also has a reasonable length track with pretty damn sharp corners and maybe even some airtime. I'm looking forward to riding it.

^The airtime will be akin to going over a speed hump too fast :P But I wonder why they couldn't put equal emphasis on speed and forces, SE manages to do that perfectly (Except for perhaps the crawl over the top hat). I don't think it would have been hard to shape a couple of the high points with a long flattened parabolic curve, so that the train would keep it's pace, but give a good dose of floater airtime (in keeping with the fact it is a family ride) I think the positive G forces on all the turns would actually be worse for families.

Dual stations would help make this possible wouldn't it?
I'm going to clear this up now, the ride will have an inline station set up like Superman, _not_ a parallel set up like Storm runner.
I'm sorry since when is 10 million chump change?
In the theme park world, it is, dont forget that. In the scheme of things, it's a fair bit for what they are getting. If the budget was just 60% more they'd be spending the same amount as TOT. But this thing is a fairly simple layout without high supports. Edited by Gazza

Yes they do, I have been at the park when this has happened, plus people on the previous page have said about what happens, what planet are you on?
Omg sorry i don't mean that! I meant I didn't think the reason was because the rain hurt, but more for safety!! That's why I said they run the claw in the rain and that hurts.

They should be able launch at a substantial acceleration due the the amount of area of contact from train to tyre, it should be more that enough for a substantial launch with no skidding or slip.
Yes they should be able to do that, but it's not going to be anything over 70km/h. And, judging by how fast TOT is launching now, we can probably expect to see this new coaster barely crawl past the first hill in ten years time.

Yes they should be able to do that, but it's not going to be anything over 70km/h. And, judging by how fast TOT is launching now, we can probably expect to see this new coaster barely crawl past the first hill in ten years time.
Thats when it will get a name change to the "Little Bike That Could"

Hi huys, was at DW today for an HR lol. They are in the middle of roofing a huge section and platform area at the start end of the moto coaster. Considering the September hilidays are now only just over 2 weeks away arnt they?...there is sttill alot to do...tick tock ...they will be some long days ahead id say if they want to open. I dint see train on track either , so they still have to test etc etc. Went into the BB house this mornig just after 11, 80%of the park guest were in there, it was full as. Construction at www is coming along, there is no pool for the 2 bowls, they have channels you end in. *aka speed coaster at wetnwild*. Slide pieces are yet to reach the temple of huey platform. And how big dose the venue shed wanna be.......It is a fair chunk of land.(however slides can still go over the building i suppose, so its not all dead space, when they ned to expand more).

A few pics of what has been done so far on the station were posted in another thread ( http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/in...?showtopic=3528 ), but Ill put some them here for simplicity's sake since this is where everyone else is talking about the ride. post-1880-1188109294_thumb.jpgpicture012lb5.jpg As for my thoughts, It's ok, looks presentable, but I seems as if they are taking the approach where they will sort of do random stuff that somehow relates to the racing theme (Eg painting walls in chequered patterns) rather than a more realistic approach that is more immersive (Eg making the buildings look like the ones found at an actual race track)

Edited by Gazza