Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally we find out the acceleration of this coaster!! 0 to 65km/h in 2 seconds isn't too bad. I think the launch will "seem" to last for longer because of this, which is good. I like what Dreamworld's done with the website! It also looks like there is going to be a page with videos on it. Anyway, they gave out good publicity for the ride, unlike the two bowl slides next door!! LOL. CoAsTeRbOy8

Our first of 2-3 videos is now online: motocoaster-final-vid.jpghttp://www.roller-coaster.com.au/videos.php?vid=25 (subscriber-only high resolution version) This video is around 4:00 long and features some scenes from the official launch as well as a wide range of different angles and views of the coaster you won't see anywhere else. Includes a full POV of the coaster with bonus commentary by the photographer seated next to me. Mick Doohan Motocoaster launches at Dreamworld motocoaster-launch.jpg Despite the new multimillion dollar roller coaster's namesake being busy with motocross commitments, the official launch of Mick Doohan's Motocoaster went ahead today, ahead of its Sunday opening.

Yeah the launch dose have a lot of "grunt" in it clocking in at 1.02G's on launch, that's only 0.40G less than superman! and we can also finally get the correct length of the launch track which is 20 meters, and then if you add the extra 10-15 flat track after the launch (where the empty brackets sit) it is around 30-35 meters in total length. It looks cool but boring :lol: Thank you Richard! Zane.

Edited by zane

Soooo, what was it like to ride? But thanks for the vid, showed of everything I wanted to see, It looks marginally faster than the first vid, but the launch looks a bit slow, as does that kiddie coaster finale to the ride. The guy beside you (or was it you?) summed it up well: "It needs to fire up" Cant say I'm really a fan of the design work around the ride, the station reminds me of the ones at SFMM, and the tents seem more at home in sideshow alley. Still, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Edited by Gazza

0 to 65km/h in 2 seconds isn't too bad. I
Not bad? Still kind of slow considering my standard V6 ecotec and any other V6 ecotec does 0-60 in 3 seconds minimum... I dont know, the ride I think was hyped up to be something its not and i really don't think it should be included in the 5 thrill rides... hmm. Anyway it doesnt mean I wouldnt ride it, I think it would be very enjoyable and fun, like road-runner. Great coverage richard, thanks a heap!!!! Edited by mickey_079

my standard V6 ecotec and any other V6 ecotec does 0-60 in 3 seconds minimum...
are you talking in mph or kmh because You don't even pull 1G going from 0-60mph in 3sec? anyway back on topic, it would of been better launching at 80km/h or even 75km Edited by zane

well, since this is an Australian site, and we're part of the metric system, i'm sure it was KM and not MPH. Habing said that, I'm no physics major, but acceleration 33% faster than a car could definitely influence the G forces pulled. Just having looked at that video, it seems from the video that the restraints are very slow moving. Judging by the time the ride takes cycle wise, running two trains isn't really going to speed things up any. Looking at the operators releasing the restraints individually, and then how long it takes to release them, i'd say we're going to end up with a two trained cyclone here.

Edited by AlexB

Just checking out zane's track design - looks awesome but I wonder what sort of launch system would be used? The energy required to send a train around it fast enough would require some heavy duty propulsion.. Anyhow - Motocoaster, definitely marketed as a 'thrill' ride for the whole family. Appealing to a wide market is good business at the moment.. however a REAL big thrill ride is due next year to keep the punters happy! At least the theme parks are building innovative rides! A little competition is a great thing for us! ;) MB

Well, Let me just say that the coaster's seats can hurt your legs a little nearing the end of the ride. But besides that, they aren't too bad. As for the coaster itself, the launch is good (not Superman Escape's power) and the first few turns really are cool. It feels like you're going to fall out because of the trains. But that's where the speed stops, and the second half of the coaster is slow (Road Runner speed, or a little faster) and it's not very thilling. Overall it's a good coaster but I wouldn't go to Dreamworld JUST for it (well maybe my first time) and if the line is over 30min, it's not worth it, unless you've never been on. I didn't get a chance to ride more then once, but Spotty (who I took with me) got to go like 5 times in a row and he said the sidecar was much more thrilling. I recommend the coaster to everyone, as It's not too thrilling, but thrilling enough to get thrill seekers happy for the first 20seconds of the ride. I must say it was also great meeting Richard there, He's a quite bloke but we had a chat and he's cool. Carries a good set of cameras too. :)

Soooo, what was it like to ride?
I don't think that the consensus around here has been too far off the mark. Everyone should draw their own conclusions after riding it and/or seeing the videos, but I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head with their premature evaluations. It's a very noisy ride around the station too as a result of having the pumps directly underneath. Probably the biggest drawback I see with this style of launch system, and with music and queuers it's not going to get any quieter. Anyone wanting to ride should hold off until Sunday when it actually opens. I see it as very unlikely that it'll be open tomorrow given the amount of work still left. There's a lot of loose ends that need tidying up ahead of the public launch. They'd have set the opening for the 29th if they thought it'd be done by then.

Unbelievable... if a coaster is going to be that short it should at least maintain momentum until the end. Obviously people are going to be disappointed about the ride's length but at least they could have made them scream right up until the brakes kick in. This just doesn't happen. And I'm still convinced it's because of Stephen Gregg's obsession with sport and trying to make the track more like an actual racing track rather than a coaster. Realistically I understand Intamin built the thing and I know a CEO can't have too much sway over how the ride is designed but it just all seems a bit strange to me. Either way they should be a bit ashamed of themselves... this ride appears to be somewhat of a failure

In a sence of it being a thrill ride yes, a failure. But as a family ride, it's sure one of the best at Dreamworld. It's a fun ride. It's not that thrilling, but it's fun. I'm a thrill person, and most people here are too. That's why I'm rating it a 6 out of 10. But I'm sure there's kids (and some adults) who would say that the Motocoaster is a fun family roller coaster with a fast (and thrilling) launch. So while it may fail to match up to Superman Escape, Tower of Terror and other thrill rides, it will is a run FAMILY ride. On the same topic, I do not think the BIG SIX THRILL RIDES slogan should be used on this ride. Maybe something like "Australia's First" or "Australia's Fastest Family Ride". I don't know, I know it won't attract the thrill seekers but it may stop the people from being disappointed when getting off the ride. Another good judge of the speed slowing a lot in the end of Richard's video from on-ride the coaster. It also shows how smooth the launch is. BTW Richard, was it you who had to ride those 4-5 times at the start? Dan said he had to and his legs were killing him. (from the seats) Anyways... Now, you guys don't make up your mind yet okay. You've gotta ride at least once, to make up your mind, okay? :)

Omg I rode it today!! I was on the 4th ride of the day, once we got to line up it took 10 minutes, quick as and with only 1 train running but they didn't open it til 10:40 because of problems or something. Good how they have separate lines for sidecares/front/middle seats. It is so exciting though it does hurt your legs. The second half is basically like the rugrats rollercoaster though.

Omg I rode it today!! I was on the 4th ride of the day, once we got to line up it took 10 minutes, quick as and with only 1 train running but they didn't open it til 10:40 because of problems or something. Good how they have separate lines for sidecares/front/middle seats. It is so exciting though it does hurt your legs. The second half is basically like the rugrats rollercoaster though.
Stardust, what line did you take - pole position, general or the back? Yeah, the back half gets very tame very quickly. And the worst part is that your legs get drilled and you really can't do anything about it due to the slow completion of the ride. It might be a personal thing but my legs were cramping and I had absolutely no way of stretching them out. Other than that, I will have to say that I am very pleased with the result. I think for children this is fantastic, but Dreamworld really shouldn't be including this thing in the big six. I think Mick Doohan's Mopedcoaster should be promoted for what it is. It is a family thrill ride and it achieves that really well, but making the claim as the most thrilling thing this decade or whatever is a bit of a stretch. In all honesty, I think that is why you will find that Dreamworld hasn't gone all out on promoting this baby in an attempt to not overhype it. I get the feeling that it is in a way a small addition and they are building up to something bigger in the very near future. Or at least I will keep my fingers crossed - at some point, they will have to install a decent response to Superman Escape. EDIT: Spelling mistake correction. Edited by Churros