Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

This keeps getting better and better, this comment seems to be on the defence.

I didn’t think it would be as good as all the other thrill rides just looking at it. But when I got on, it took off like a bullet, and I knew I was in for one of the best rides of my life! Thanks to Dreamworld for an excellent day! Jess, 12, Murwillumbah NSW
Also, has anyone taken any photos of the finished ride area? If they are good I'm sure Richo would find them useful. And I guess people might have seen it, but as expected, the park map has been updated: http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/stand...sp?name=ParkMap Edited by Gazza

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll have photos up in the near future of the ride in operation. Focused on getting the videos done and up firstly as they're more interesting, but there'll also be a gallery before too long. Anyone find the PDF maps a bit ridiculous? The 800kb version is simply unreadable, while the other version is a whopping 9mb.

Yeah Richard. It's really bad, you would think they would have a map in the middle around 4mb or something.Why couldn't they just have scanned it and make it a JPG, that would be much, much better. Also, about the comments, I don't really trust them. I went on Friday night (night of the Media Opening) and there was already comments on there. Some from people as far away as England. So I wouldn't trust them at all.

Edited by ash.1111

The magnets are mounted to the track and react with the alloy on the trains; the same strip as the kicker tyres grip onto. Like just about everything else about this coaster, they're of a new design that is quite different from most other Intamin rides. Gazza, thematic elements etc. are to be included in the ride's general photos, as well as a look at the shop and the surrounds.

I didn't see the brakes off ride, but when I was on the ride it looked like they where just the typical metal friction plates, and from what I can remember (wasn't paying much attention lol)they had hoses going to each plate? if true they are electromagnetic, but I cant see the main brake run having brakes that can fail? I suspect there rare earth magnets like all there (Intamim) other coasters.

Here's a few photos that haven't made their way into updates. post-1-1191325954_thumb.jpg The first shows the first section of brakes. They are indeed rare earth magnets as seen on most other Intamin coasters, but laid flat and more or less in contact with one another (north pole to south pole as indicated by the colouring on each end of each section). These are fixed and do the bulk of the slowing on the steeper section of the brakes. post-1-1191325963_thumb.jpg The second section of brakes is found on the flatter section, featuring the same magnets but retractable (via hydraulics, of course) to allow the train to clear the section quicker after being safely slowed.

I have heard many mixed responses about this new Coaster. Many clients and people from other states here on holidays tell me about the Moto Coaster and how they have seen it Promoted everywhere and were so excited and wrapped to ride it from all the hype on TV, radio and other media and only to have been let down. They basically have told me how it looks pathetic and like a Children's ride. Even the parents tell me this. I'm in no rush to ride this at all. I'm really disappointed, but nothing I can do. :unsure: Lets hope something more thrilling and better in the Future.

I have heard many mixed responses about this new Coaster. Many clients and people from other states here on holidays tell me about the Moto Coaster and how they have seen it Promoted everywhere and were so excited and wrapped to ride it from all the hype on TV, radio and other media and only to have been let down. They basically have told me how it looks pathetic and like a Children's ride. Even the parents tell me this. I'm in no rush to ride this at all. I'm really disappointed, but nothing I can do. :unsure: Lets hope something more thrilling and better in the Future.
I agree mate,sick of all the hype with new attractions only to find they are a watered down version of the northern hemisphere offerings (motocoaster/Superman). When will parks here make a serious investment in something world worthy? Lethal weapon is still the only one in contention. Get your crap together OZ parks! Not as if you cant afford it? record numbers and price increases suggest you can afford something world worthy. :(

OK I went today! the ride isn't finished at all. it's not a rush job, it's just not finished, they haven't sorted out the second train yet, they are still doing arcwelding, painting on many thing around the ride. The ride feels much faster than it looks, the track and ride is very clearly designed to replicate motorcycle travel. I found the ride position really fun, but uncomfortable, first ride it wasn't bad but second ride the back support squeezed pretty hard. It also tends to be uncomfortable on the inner leg, but i certainly wasn't squished by the bike itself just the back rest. The race noises on launch worked fine. The ride does loose speed by the time it reaches the final bunny hop, but not all that much, it seems the weight onboard the train very much effects the rides performance, well as far as inertia is concerned. It's a good bit of fun, certainly a unique experience. Although i will make a note that the queue lines on the ride were shockingly bad. 1-1.5hr.

-Churros were you 3rd, I was 4th I would have seen you :o
Haha, you probably would have. I was wearing a Simpsons shirt and glasses! Anyhow. Those comments are, for the lack of a better term "MLE-BULL". If you think otherwise then I think you need to watch the Chaser (9:00PM Tonight). Brakes? It needs them? I thought it just stopped on its own! Nah, in all seriousness, they are magnetic, just as Richard said - different design. And Saberon, you said they had a race noises on launch? Were they actual noises or just the typical launch noise? EDIT: Oh, and 1.5 hrs... tell em they're dreaming... Edited by Churros

There is an actual launch soundtrack; it's a generic reving engine sort of sound. There will also be starting lights to complete the effect. 1.5 hour queues and a single train is totally unacceptable. I don't know why our parks can't set realistic deadlines for ride construction that includes getting the ride to a completely finished state and training staff to allow it to operate at a suitable capacity. No one expects peak efficiency right off the bat, but to not even be able to run both trains upon opening in the middle of the school holidays is simply unfair to all those who came on the basis that it would be operating. It seems aside from basic flat rides and the like, new attractions at our parks are either delayed significantly or open before they're really ready to be. If parks overseas can get it right, why not ours?

Yes there is a soundtrack, prerecorded, nothing special, is produced by 4 bose speakers above the ride, unfortunately the sound effect activates every time there is train movement from and to the load dock. So when the train launches from the load dock it sounds, and also as the train arrives to the load dock from the unload dock it also sounds. Probably cause the ride was really intended to operate 2 train only. Yeah I rode motocoaster twice, cyclone once, wipe out once and claw once. Couldn't be bothered lining up for anything else, as i've ridden them all many many times before.

There is an actual launch soundtrack; it's a generic reving engine sort of sound. There will also be starting lights to complete the effect.
It seems this ride may yet have some redemption.
1.5 hour queues and a single train is totally unacceptable. I don't know why our parks can't set realistic deadlines for ride construction that includes getting the ride to a completely finished state and training staff to allow it to operate at a suitable capacity. No one expects peak efficiency right off the bat, but to not even be able to run both trains upon opening in the middle of the school holidays is simply unfair to all those who came on the basis that it would be operating. It seems aside from basic flat rides and the like, new attractions at our parks are either delayed significantly or open before they're really ready to be. If parks overseas can get it right, why not ours?
I think you could start a whole topic with regards to how our parks differ from the US. I will have to say though that thanks to the parks here, we really don't get enought major installations for this type of thing to happen regularly. That being said, I'm really not surprised by this at all. I mean it's Dreamworld. There will be a short period of time in the near future it will operate perfectly, and then not long after that they will cut staff and removed the lights, etc. We all know it to be true.

I road Motocoaster for the first time today. I don't know what everyone's whinging about. It's fun! Sure it's not as hardcore as Cyclone, as scary as the giant drop or as fast as ToT, but it's fun to ride and something out of the ordinary. It's a winner as far as I'm concerned.

^Well, all coasters are 'fun' to a degree (I find roadrunner fun for instance) But the main things that disappoint me are; -Lack of airtime -Relies to heavily on its gimmick -DW trying to say it's a big 6 thrill ride when it isn't -The fact far better rides could have been built for $10mil I mean, yeah, it'd be fun to ride, but it does not impress me in any way, i don't actually see what it offers that exceeds what Superman offers for instance.

Edited by Gazza

yea, superman rox my sox. :D But serisously, I know a family that went to Dreamworld in the fisrt week of holidays and they told me that when they got there, the wait was 1 and a half hours. They told me that they simply didn't want to waste so much time waiting for a ride so they went on other rides instead. I thought that 1 and a half hours was alright though. The first and only time I went to Dreamworld, (before The Claw) we went on the Cyclone. There was a 2 hour wait for it the first time we went on it and a 1 and a half hour wait the second time. We only managed to squeeze in a couple of rides that day.

Is it just me or does 1hr wait times seem incredibly ridiculous?? The park is only open to guests for 7 hours, and if it were an hour for every queue, you'd get 6 rides in for the day. That's the Big 6 thrill rides and then you're going home. Good way to sell extra-day passes I suppose, but I'm of the thinking that you're selling people an experience. If that experience cannot be had in just one day, then single day tickets should not be sold... Just my thoughts anyway