08/02/2007 DW Trip Report

Okguy

Went to Dreamworld today, for the first time in a long while. Unfortunately none of us brought a camera so i won't have any pictures. We arrived just before 10am, and got into the park a few minutes after 10. First we decided to go to the giant drop because we thought with only one side open the queues would be longer during the day. We only had to wait a couple of cycles to get on. The Giant Drop is a lot of fun, and even after a couple of rides it's still slightly scary. We went on this 3 times in total, the second and third times were about 15 minute waits. Next we went to the nearby Thunder River Rapids, wanting to get a bit wet before the queue got big later in the day. We queued about 10 minutes. The ride was actually a bit of a let down, there was no thrill at all and most of us barely got a drop of water. We then headed over to the Tower of Terror. When we got there the queue was just a little bit past the steps going up into the waiting room. I think we had to wait 3-4 cycles until we got on. This was the ride i was most looking forward to riding, and i wasn't let down. The feeling of the launch is just amazing, as well of those few sweet seconds of free fall. We rode this a few more times later in the day, never having to wait more than 20 minutes for a ride. We thought we might head to Nightmares to make sure we got a go of Agnosia before it shut. It was quite fun, got genuinely scared a few times :) The Claw was next on the list. Throughout the whole day you never had to wait more than a cycle to get on. I was impressed with this ride, it certainly lives up to all it's hype. The most exhilarating part is when you fly down to the ground face first. This is definitely my favorite ride at DW. I think the final count for the claw was 8 or 9 times. We then moved to the Wipeout, being nearby to the claw. This ride was also a lot of fun, especially the bit at the end of the cycle where you do those 2 quick flips. We went on this one a few times as well, all day if you joined the queue you would usually be on the next ride. The Shark wasn't working though :( After a quick bite to eat, we headed to the Cyclone. Man, is the queue line annoying to walk up when its pretty much empty. There were about 2 trains ahead of us, but somehow we ended up waiting for about half an hour. The ride itself was *OK*, it was a bit rough but not as rough as i was expecting. We didn't bother queuing for this for the rest of the day. It was starting to get pretty hot so we went to the log ride. After about 15 mins we were on. We weren't really expecting anything out of this ride apart from getting wet. The ride wasn't that fun but at least we were totally soaked. By then it was just after 1, so the other half of nightmares - the freezer - was open. This was alright, i was prepared this time and was paying attention to where the actors were so i didn't really get scared that much. But it was still alright. So by about 1:30 we had done all the major attractions + a few re-rides, so the last 4 hours was just a heck of a lot more re-riding :) All in all it was a great day of fun. The park was very clean, the staff were nothing but friendly. Also on the way out some of us picked up the return in 14 days thing for $10 and plan to go again in the next week or two. Also, had a good look at WWW when walking down from the cyclone - it didn't look too busy and the queues looked pretty short.