Wet'n'Wild: New 2007 Attraction

mattcrombie

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I know someone was intending to go take photos this morning. When I said twisty I was more refering to the fact that its the intamin 'truss' type track so it has lots of bits. Was just kind of saying that for the amusement factor, sorry for confusion. All the track has been unloaded and is now behind solid fencing so the chance to check it out nice and easy has kind of passed, guess we'll have to wait for vertical construction for it to make its next appearance :)

Article: Parts arrive for Wet'n'Wild's latest wnw-coaster-001.jpgThursday 22 February 2007 - Wet'n'Wild Water World Track has been spotted outside Wet'n'Wild Water World as the water park prepares for vertical construction on the first non-water-based attraction in the park's 22 year history - a half pipe roller coaster. Read On... Gallery: http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/gallery.php?gid=162 Thanks to joz for getting these pictures for us!

I still can't get my head around the fact that they are installing a dry ride, but it seems that WVTP's know what there doing! ^_^ Anyway, great pics Joz. The thingI liked about these pictures is how you got close-ups of all the brakes and wires that control the ride, very interesting!! CoasterBoy6

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

I was surprised all the equipment comes pre-wired and installed, I guess that would simplify construction a bit.
yeah thats what i thought. Seems to be foundations, contruct, plug and play. I'd say this will save a lot of time in construction and should help prevent errorness counstruction by doing the complicated work during manafacture

I'm more interested in riding that thing than looking at construction, it's Australias first half-pipe coaster! I know some people are interested in the construction of the coaster, but I wanna' enjoy the ride before talking about the construction technique.
Yeah today I went to WnW and rode the Half Pipe, it was a really enjoyable ride, great G's at the bottom of the curve, and cool airtime at the top, the spinning was pretty fun too, a bit faster than the Claw at DW. See an interesting thing happened and the ride got built instantaneously, so now we can all talk about the ride and how it was, instead of commenting on the happenings during the construction process that normally takes months. Its really lucky for you too sonic123488, you were facing months of not being able to talk about the ride since it wasn't open, but now it is so you can enjoy it now and talk about the construction technique. Edited by Gazza

Are you being sarcastic Gazza? /sarcasm Like many here, I'm still not pleased that the recipient of this ride is a water park. :angry: People only visit water parks so they can take their clothes off and play in the water. In the WATER! I reckon this style of ride—which does look rather exciting—would be more suited to Movie World or Sea World.

Does anyone know what the construction time for this ride is expected to be, or when we might see an opening? I will be on the Gold Coast around end of July or start of August to coincide with the end of Big Brother, and I'm hoping to get to all the theme parks and check out all these new rides I have not been on yet-- Batwing, H2O Zone, the whole of WWW, and the half pipe!

Yeah today I went to WnW and rode the Half Pipe, it was a really enjoyable ride, great G's at the bottom of the curve, and cool airtime at the top, the spinning was pretty fun too, a bit faster than the Claw at DW. See an interesting thing happened and the ride got built instantaneously, so now we can all talk about the ride and how it was, instead of commenting on the happenings during the construction process that normally takes months. Its really lucky for you too sonic123488, you were facing months of not being able to talk about the ride since it wasn't open, but now it is so you can enjoy it now and talk about the construction technique.
That was Awesome ;)
Like many here, I'm still not pleased that the recipient of this ride is a water park. :angry: People only visit water parks so they can take their clothes off and play in the water. In the WATER! I reckon this style of ride—which does look rather exciting—would be more suited to Movie World or Sea World.
Do you think though being Australian has made us shelter (wow I just called myself Australian) in what we think is right and wrong in placement. What I mean by this is everybody at work (mw) thinks a coaster at Wet n Wild is stupid just like most people here on the boards and on my site do, yet when I talked to Robb Avery who been too nearly every park in the world he tells me its common to see this type of coaster size at water parks. So maybe we need to start looking outside the square, and to be honest when I go to a water park i normally get bored around 1pm or 2pm now I have something else to do before i leave.

^That was the greatest post known to man. But on what Rabid said, well I guess there would be some water parks out there with coasters (I don't know of any though, but Ill take Rob Alveys word for it) But if you look at the mainstream sort of water parks (Eg the Hurricane Harbors, Schlitterbahn parks, Wet'n'Wild's in the US, Cedar Fair water parks, (In fact all of the American ones I can think of) the European ones in the Mediterranean etc they basically dont have coasters (In the interests of a balanced argument I wont omit the fact that one water park has a Caprio AquaFlyer, a sort of precursor to the Setpoint Roller Soaker style ride, see http://www.rcdb.com/id1450.htm, however it is a water ride so it sort of fits in and people tend to approve of this sort of ride going in to water parks, however it no longer operates) I mean a water park having a small galaxy type coaster is one thing (I assume that is what you are referring to when you say a similar sized coaster), but a $5 mil thrill ride seems a bit much. But for me, the main reason I'd have rather not seen it at WnW is because I feel SW needs it more.

Edited by Gazza

I am in totally agree with the majority here, a coaster in a water park does seem odd. WnW has done amazing attandance results this summer - having beat even MW on many days. Surely this halfpipe coaster will continue to build on the success they have seen this past Summer. Heck, I know it will draw me to the park when they open it! Inspite of this, I cannot understand WVTP's decision to continue to neglect SW by not building any new rides. How many more price rises will the park see before people stop going? I mean it is becoming a very expensive Zoo to visit!! SW park's over seas have a nice blend of rides, shows and displays. IMO the only world class attractions at SW today are Dolphin Cove and Shark Encounter. The place needs more. A Lot more.. There is space to expand, they just need to get more creative about expanding!! An observation tower, a nice new water coaster or a cute dark ride featuring terrors of the deep could all fit well into SW whilst keeping the place family friendly.

Is there anything to say this is going to be a dry ride? Is there a way that water or sprays could be used? As it is called a "SURF rider” maybe this could add to the ride feeling like your on a wave or in the surf. B)
Nothing could or can simulate surfing matt. I'm a surfer myself and have ask a few friends that and they all say no way! With surfing its all to do with hand eye co-ordination, once thats packed down u just go out and enjoy yourself. But the feeling of dropping in and then riding the greenroom is the best... I dont know why its called the surf rider but.. it just makes no sense, u dont spin and go back and forth when surfing, you travel forwards doing inverts. Sorry wanted to say something