Wet'n'Wild: New 2007 Attraction

mattcrombie

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing could or can simulate surfing matt. I'm a surfer myself and have ask a few friends that and they all say no way! With surfing its all to do with hand eye co-ordination, once thats packed down u just go out and enjoy yourself. But the feeling of dropping in and then riding the greenroom is the best... I dont know why its called the surf rider but.. it just makes no sense, u dont spin and go back and forth when surfing, you travel forwards doing inverts. Sorry wanted to say something
But when you "wipe out" during surfing do you go through locked rotations and swing back and forth :P ? (A reference to Wipeout at DW for those who missed it) I'll probably be wrong, but I think Ride Trade might be sticking stand up seats on this variation of the ride (As they have done with their free falls) I mean I don't see why they would bother with another model name (surf rider) for a halfpipe if it was something as trivial as a different shaped ride vehicle. Standing up could give something more akin to surfing (as far as the large numbers of non-surfers riding on the thing would be concerned) Edited by Gazza

ll probably be wrong, but I think Ride Trade might be sticking stand up seats on this variation of the ride
OMG! That would be awesome! *Crosses Fingers for stand-up version* When you think about it though, you don't snowboard sitting down either! :P I'm suprised they haven't already implemented it! Hopefully we'll be the first... :P

^^Yer WnW Rocks that would be cool. First stand-up coaster for Australia, but you still have that fact that it's being installed into a waterpark. It's really strange that WVTP's choose a Waterpark, that has been getting new attractions for years now, rather than Sea World, who has not got a perminent new attraction for ages! CoasterBoy6

First of all nothing has progressed with construction yet, all the pieces are still in the car park, will keep an eye on things though. When it comes to new rides its all about expenditure 'vs' return on investment. If the money folks can see that SW is profitable enough without adding any new attractions and that doing so wouldn't significantly increase takings then you have a very tough time convincing the shareholders to spend the money. And unfortunately that's what it all comes down to, the shareholders want to see return on their investment, if they're not going to get that, you're not going to see any new rides.

But when you "wipe out" during surfing do you go through locked rotations and swing back and forth :P ?
Hehe... nah not really... the pressure of the swell usually forces you down into the sand or rocks, the thing that keeps you moving through that is the board pulling at your leg... I wish wiping out was like a ride though :D Anyway sorry. When do the restraints and seats actually arrive? Or are they already there? How long do you all reckon construction will take place?

In that video, they show the car being taken up by a cable then, the cars are swiveled around so that the riders are facing forwads and they you are let go - This is Vekoma's version of the Half-Pipe. The one that WVTP's has got is from Intamin. Intamin's is LSM powered and gradually speeds up and down the track until it reaches the top. Unlike Vekoma's, were you get pulled to the top of the track by a cable and then let go. Plus the cars don't spin while your sliding up and down the half-pipe (on the Vekoma that is). I think that we have the better of the two different models. Mainly because Intamin's does alot more than Vekoma's; Thrill wise. Anyway, did anybody read the "latest themepark news" about WVTP's Profits? It states that Seaworld's overall profits are down. Meaning that there is a very good chance, that when the Eye is taken out, that the Half-pipe will be taking it's right-full place in Seaworld. YAY!! :D CoAsTeRbOy8 CoasterBoy6

Get over it,Who really cares what park its at. Its another coaster in AUS.
Umm, We know its a roller coaster, what's your point? After being up on the GC, I'm wondering if SW would have been the right choice after all, the place was full of families with little kids, with barely any teenagers who would be likely to ride the thing, which makes me wonder if it would actually convince thrill seekers to head down for it. I mean Corkscrew seems virtually always dead which says a lot. I think SW would be better off going for more family oriented rides and do more to add value to the visits of their primary audience. Given the parks situation in terms of space, planning restrictions and the proximity to animals they would never be successful trying cater to the thrill market in the long term. Edited by Gazza

Even though that ride simulation is for Vekoma, would we expect to something the same size? Taking over the sky line in wet n wild? I like the design of that but, incorporating the halfpipe around the track. Still don't see how this ride can be made around surfing, it just doesn't make any sense.

On the first point, we could expect something half the size, Vekomas version is 60m tall (as per the stats at the end of the video) while Intamins comes in both a 30m and a 20m version. On the second point, well In reality very few rides truly recreate their subject matter (There are probably more, but mine rides are an example of one that does recreate its subject matter) I mean Wipeout is themed around surfing and its a topspin type ride, the claw has some sort of beastly theme, but all you do is swing and spin around, in real life pirate ships don't swing back and forth, but that hasn't stopped them being a popular ride. I could go on and on.... The point is a little theming and a surfboard shaped vehicle would be good enough for the general public to get the idea. It might not be exactly like surfing, but as I said very few rides actually do anything to do with their theme/concept) To be honest, you're splitting hairs a bit, how else would they do it? Have a straight track with a little zigzaging to simulate going up on the wave, with single rider surfboards you get strapped into and a fake wave over the track? Sounds a bit complex and not particularly fun, when they could just build a half pipe and theme that.

Edited by Gazza

But they cannot build anything over 3 storeys is that right?
Corkscrew is already over 3 more like 5. So I think this could be used to show cause to the council. Laws have changed on the gold coast about heights. For example in some areas homes where allowed to be 3 but this has changed to 2. You have a case for a new dwelling to be 3 if the houses on ether sides are already 3 under the Gold Coast planning Act. Sea Word could use this to build to the same height of the Corkscrew. If they pulled the Corkscrew down then they would only be able to go to 3 instead of th current height of the Corkscrew.

The height laws are always bent, like before Q1 there was a rule on no building over a certain amount and the Q1 blew that rule away, even though thats not on the spit. I dont mind if they have big rides on the spit I just dont like the idea of highrises blocking out of the sun like at surfers.