HydroCoaster... Broken Again

Dylaan

Went to White Water World on Saturday. Lines weren't too bad, just over 30 minutes of HydroCoaster. I took a break to get some photos, and was waiting in the area between Green Room and STHC. After a raft not passing me in about ten minutes, I started looking around to see if anything was wrong. All I noticed was that the people at the top weren't dispatching. A few minutes later, I realised that people had gotten stuck right infront of me, so naturally I took some photos. The lifeguards had to help them out, and there was a kid who was crying. This is becoming too regular, is there anything they can do about it? I've got some pics, and I will post them, although according to 'someone' *cough*, I could get into trouble for it... Is this true?

Yeah it was breaking down a lot when I was there, on our second ride we got stuck on the third lift hill..everyone in the line up just stares and points at you while you sit there and wait for the lifeguards to show up. They should have a rule there though, if yo get stuck you get to go to the front of the line because we ended up having to wait another 20 minutes on top of the time we originally waited.

Really? That is kind of strange. When I was there they were allowing people back to the front of the line when it broke down. I agree, it is a turning into a big problem. I mean, it is probably one of the most unreliable attractions locally, and that is not something you want to become too heavily associated with a park. The only thing I can say from my trip is that they have a pretty quick response to the problem, and seem to know how to fix it when it stuffs up, but maybe they need to figure out a way to prevent it from stopping in the first place.

Hey cool photos, they remind me of the sort of thing that would suit the parks website, but I mean that in a good way. WWW seems to have tons of gravel though, I feel sorry for the people who had to get off Supertubes, ouch. Perhaps WWW maintenance should duck into Bunnings and pick up a few stepping stones for the emergency exit.

Edited by Gazza

If I had to take a guess, I would say the stones help with the recapture of the water used on the slides. They would allow for run-off to be captured in the water pits seen through out the park....just a thought. And WnW Rocks, although the little kid was very upset, he did ride straight away and got off the ride smiling, and it was the second time it had happened in that spot within 10mins on that day. Surprised you did not get sun burnt with that blonde hair of yours....hehe....you were not the only one in the park that day. Nice pictures by the way, might post the pic I took of you taking the pictures of the ride brakedown, if I ever get them back from Kmart. Should also have some nice pics from within the rides. This was the one thing that surprised me the most about the park, that I was allowed to take a water proof camera on the ride in plane site of the ride ops, and not one of them said anything about it....strange.

Edited by thunder001

This was the one thing that surprised me the most about the park, that I was allowed to take a water proof camera on the ride in plane site of the ride ops, and not one of them said anything about it....strange.
I'd say it's because the ride isn't really dangerous. After all it does have a fence so you can't really hit anyone if you drop it.

When we went back on the hydro the lady was still working it and she was like "oh you are the girls who got stuck.." and my friend goes "yeah and it would have been nice if we were allowed to go straight to the front of the cue without waiting a further 20 minutes in line" There was a lot of people with water proof cams on the slides, this guy had one on the green room and he had is strapped around his neck..it flew up in his face when we went up the wall..came out laughing his head off though so I guess it either didn't hit him or it didn't hurt.

Nice pictures by the way, might post the pic I took of you taking the pictures of the ride brakedown, if I ever get them back from Kmart.
You smart ass! :P Gotta get that picture! :P Just a side note, they hand these funky new mats, that had plastic things to hold on to, and you couldn't roll them up properly... They went way faster though! :) They're all blue too, no other colours.

Yeah, the new mats are crazy, but they're really difficult to lift up as you go over the dips. :( I guess if you're feeling like some hopping, grab an old mat! :P Has anyone seen it when people somehow hop on the FlowRider? We were in a group with some kid, looked 10 years old maybe, he was a midget. Said he was a MAP Holder. Could somehow get almost 2 feet of air between him and the 'wave'. Amazing to watch, he could even go backwards! :P

Great Pics WnW!! I like how you got the close-ups on the faces of the riders on the cyclone, STHC and green room!!

New mats + faster mats = More airtime
I like your style Dreamworld Rulz, but as WnW Rocks said:
Yeah, the new mats are crazy, but they're really difficult to lift up as you go over the dips. :(
There won't be much airtime now. I'm sure if your light enough there would be some airtime, mabey not like the video on WWW's wewbsite though!! ^_^ . Anyway, with in regards to the people getting stck in Super Tubes, how did they open the netting? Did they strech it open or is there like an emergency opening if theses things happen? CoasterBoy6 Edited by Coaster Boy 8

In regards to the new mats, we had no trouble lifting them over the humps on the ride, maybe a style of riding thing?? As for how the ppl got out of the breakdown, there are sections at the bottom of each dip with Velcro that allows for ppl to access the ride, big enough to pull the entire raft out of. Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

I went to WWW yesterday and at one stage we could keep our mats for the BRO and run up again. The new mats are vomit and can be dangerous as they stop sudenly when they grip onto the flat at the bottom. The Green Room had a five minute wait but SuperTubes was spillingout the bottom of the stairs the whole day, Didn't break though they have probably fixed it by now. It was leaking onto the que somethin shockin. The park wasn't that great the second time round, we got the free tickets so we had to use them. The extention better be good, i wonder if they could by the land south, over the road next to the BRO.

It was leaking onto the que somethin shocking.
Yeah, it's been doing that for a few months now, I don't know why they won't fix it. When I went there was no-one on that part of the steps, which made the line seem even longer. We stood under it anyway, you're at a waterpark for a reason! :P Edited by WnW_Rocks

Their water efficiency claims have always been dubious at best. The effiency only comes into play in their filtration process where they're not losing water through the traditional backwashing process. The "28 Olympic swimming pools" that they're saving a year is only compared to what they would be losing with a different filtration system and through the course of a day there's still thousands of litres being lost each day through evaporation, leaks and poor design (see The Rip's splash pool). There's no excuse for the latter two, especially if you're touting water-wise practices.

• 4 months later...