Whirlpool & Matrix Reloaded

Richard

Finally the "real" Whirlpool opens, September 20 at Wet'n'Wild. There's no denying that it's clearly not the same degree of excitement that you'd find on some of the slides, but it's certainly going to go nicely with the existing attractions. And of course, if nothing else, it'll mean 1000 people per hour less to deal with in queues for other rides. :) On that same day, they're kicking off the "Dive-in Movie season", with Matrix Reloaded. In honesty, it really wasn't as good as the first one (and to think it's still playing in cinemas), and it really did have a pretty unbearable middle (basically any scenes not in the matrix were pretty slow and uninteresting). Nevertheless, it's a good action film, and is among the best movies released in the past few years, and will surely please crowds at Wet'n'Wild.

I think with the troubles Village Roadshow have had, Matrix Reloaded was a bit of an obvious choice for them, after all, it was the thing that made all their money during the winter, which is why they are so desperate to flog it off at their theme parks. Looking forward to Whirlpool, if nothing else, it gets rid of whirlpool (hot) springs, which was afterall, a bit piss-weak. It should fit nicely in the park which doesn't have the fastest or the tallest, but does have some of the most pure fun rides ever (Terror Canyon's, Mammoth Falls).

I don't know if you "tried" it in Winter, when it was actually decent and refreshing, but on that day in January when we went before the heaters were in or on, it was pretty bad. You'll remember the floor and sides are made of a rubbery surface, pretty similar to what tartan athletics tracks are made of, and it had a habbit of rubbing off on that first visit, leaving the pools collecting lots of little chunks of rubber at the bottom. The strange thing was, it was still doing that by Easter - three months later. I can't imagine that stuff is much fun to clean out of the filters.

• 4 weeks later...

For ages now I have been confused over this whole Whirlpool Springs/Whirlpool attraction. I could not work out whether it was one attraction or 2 different ones or what. After looking at the photo gallery on this site it is all clear to me now. My question is, how does the transformation from the Springs to the actual Whirpool work? Are all of the spas and that whole round section lifted out? It would be quite a large task wouldn't it or has it been designed to be an easy process? I think it's a very cool idea anyway. I also hear that they had problems with the attraction. They must have been fairly major probs for it not to be opened on time... I know they would normally try very hard to avoid that sort of thing.

To convert it from winter to summer mode, they simply place steel frames into each of the 12 spas, and the top of each is capped to close them off. You'll notice that the spas are actally set into the base of the ring, which is 1.2m below the surface. They fill the ring with water, and that's the attraction. It mightn't sound like it's very deep, but remember you're in rings - this is basically just a faster version of Calypso Beach (also 1.2m deep). You can see in the sides of the walls, the vents that are angled in all different ways to create the current and whirlpools.

Thanks for that description Richard! At frst I had my doubts about it, but now I love the idea of the attraction. I'm not particularly excited about the hot spas or the actual Whirpool itself but the way it's been designed makes it a very clever use of space. Allowing a conversion that serves 2 different purposes for the different seasons is a great touch. As you said Richard, anything that reduces the numbers in the queue areas is positive (nothing worse than lining up for ages when you're dripping wet).

• 2 weeks later...

Totaly agree with the simpsons thing I could of been a good special if they had of actualy put some decent episodes on. All they had were real old episodes way back from series 1. What a let down Anyway, so the hottubs are down deep, and the whirlpool just fills up on top? Shaun

Ok someone... we need some pics of the Whirpool and an on-ride report please! I think WNW is a great park and would love to hear what this new addition is like. And I couldn't agree more about the Simpsons Extravaganza - pathetic! Those hosts from Cheez TV were dreadful. So, so bad. Australia tends to put together a lot of cheap shows where they just show a whole bunch of old eps and put a crappy host or two in between each ep. Foxtel does this all the time.

If SydRider doesn't get anything (we're all counting on you!! ;)), I'll be there in a month and have something. I'll give the Wet'n'Wild gallery a much needed summer twist - plus I've really got to find time for a Movie World visit to catch up on a few months of missed progress. I've just been so busy all year that I'm having to plan and try to squeeze in visits to parks, whereas it used to just be an impulse thing I'd do any day I'm bored.

I saw the add down here last night advertising the 3 parks and the super pass. The Whirlpool looked fun but it's not qite what i expected. I expected to see waves and white water but it looked more like a tiny, shallow calypso river with a few swirls here and there? :? It looked deeper than I imagined though aswell I'm not to sure about the capacity iether, you don't think they could fit that many poepl on it do you? Looks like one of those rides where you would want plenty of room to move and you would probaly stay on it for about half an hour at a time? You wouldn't want to losse your spot. But saying that I've only seen about 3 seconds of it on the ad so i'm no expert lol :) Can't wait for those pics Shaun

They've been saying 1000 pph all along. I'm not sure what system that is that determines that. Whether they've calculated what we in the industry call the "novelty effect" :), and based the thoroughput on that, or they're going to let in a few dozen people at a time, and fire up the currents for everyone to drift around for a few minutes then stopping it and letting them all out.

I shall do my best with the photos ... it is going to be overcast and showers I think on Friday ... from memory ... but I think that makes it better cause there will be nobody there :) We are also doing the other 3 parks as well so will take photos from them too ... just gotta remember to take me digital camera with me :D One of the girls as work has been to WnW since Whirlpool opened and I think she said it was "ok" ... but we shall see when I get there ... only 3 days to go!! :)

only 3 days to go!!
and arn't we all counting :D Another thing that may decide capicty for the whirlpool is where you get the tubes from. I wonder if they will just have a heap of tubes around the ride or maybe you will have to line up and wait for a one like with the waterslides? Obviously I don't think W'n'W will want to get all the tubes mixed up between the whirlpool, wave pool and calypso river so they are going to have watch that somehow.... Shaun

It's not as though the tubes are a necessity in the wave pool though. There's plenty of other ways you can have fun, without spending the few dollars on a tube for the day. The tubes will almost certainly (what do I mean almost... more like 100%) be kept in the Whirlpool area. Never at Wet'n'Wild have there been any free-range tubes.

I can imagine that it'll work similar to Calypso Beach, in that the tubes for Whirlpool will not only be noticeably different from those which are hired, but staff will also monitor the area to make sure none are taken into the wave pool. I agree, it does suck that you have to pay for the tubes, but I equally think that you don't really need them to have a good time. Just seeing everyone else with a tube makes me want one :(