Expert Theme Park Advice

Adam

Given the family-oriented nature of theme parks, it can be an absolute disaster (overstatement) when you arrive at a theme park park with flat digital camera batteries; the disaster stemming from the lack of family photos that will come out of the trip. Buying expensive theme park batteries used to be the only option, that is, until now. A handy tutorial on how to charge ANY standard battery has been posted on YouTube.

(via YouTube). Any thoughts?

You have to be kidding....Guys DONT try this with non-rechargeable batteries, you will be both wasting your time and running a minor risk of hurting yourself. Standard batteries convert their stored chemical energy to electrical energy in a non-reversible way. The elements inside the battery decay till they no longer function. Consider this like a boat in the ocean being left to rust...you cant de-rust it to make it new again...instead you buy a new one! Batteries that can be charged really wont be able to be charged in this way either. They require a flow of electrical energy to reverse the chemical effect of the battery de-charging....you need a supply of power connected to BOTH ends of the battery to be able to do this...much like for a flashlight to work it needs to be connected to both ends of the battery..your light wont work with only one side of the battery connected, and your battery wont be recharged with only one end connected too! Charging standard non-rechargeable batteries is also a risk... you risk overheating the battery and explosion. This wont like blow up your house or anything but will probaly wreck whatever it is you have connected to the battery at the time...you may also start a fire...which may then in turn be as bad as blowing up your house :P In short DONT charge non-rechargeable batteries...the shell of the battery will tell you this anyway...like all warnings they are there for a reason! Anyone who knows ANYTHNING about batteries or electricity will tell you this guy is a quack!

Everything this guy does is a joke... lol do you guys not realise this? I mean c'mon did you know watch the how to increase your Wi-Fi Signal by wrapping an ethernet cable around your cell phone. Lol... c'mon people... you guys aren't that stupid. I mean you talk about all this smart stuff about coasters and then go and believe this video lol.

I thought "it's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity" would've given it away, dr_teeth? I think the Infinite Solutions series is hilarious. Especially about how incorrect daylight saving times can make your operating system instable and prone to virus attacks.

Edited by Adam

I thought "it's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity" would've given it away, dr_teeth?
Well DUH Adam!! To you and me this might be simple logic. However when something like this is advertised as "expert advice" and " a handy tutorial to recharge any battery" then it runs the risk of leading the not so informed down the wrong track. Trying to charge ANY non-rechargeable battery can be dangerious (which means it IS dangerious) therefore its worth a mention so people who dont know any better dont go and try this sort of stuff. :D

Yeah I guess you're right dr_teeth. The same guy also has a video on YouTube about a fictional Google product: Google TV beta. The author (Mark Erickson) shows how to sign up for the beta, and it involves something which actually takes forever to complete (signing in and out of Gmail until the Google TV link appears, which it won't!). His videos are so professional though. The animated diagrams are better than the ones on Seconds From Disaster. i<3infinitesolutions

Edited by Adam

The "it's called electrical tape because it conducts electricity" is absolute gold, and while it is pretty obvious that this is a joke you have to remember the effect Borat had on the American people, they all thought he was 100% serious. For those of you who haven't seen Borat GO AND BUY IT, it is more than worth it. "The Bus is now leaving for Red Tape Creek, Tasmania"

• 2 weeks later...

Batteries have nothing to do with roller coasters though -_- Plus, you once asserted that you hated "nerds" which could give an indication of the value you place on education. But I mean, towards the end the video was getting pretty stupid; saying electrical tape conducts electricity, putting lemon on the terminals, that ridiculous looking arrangement with the 9v batteries. Oh, that and the fact connecting them end to end wouldn't actually cause any current to flow back.

Edited by Gazza