The quality of Dreamworld

saberon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus people seem to be conveniently ignoring some key issues: Having one of your coasters down for 6 months is something "wrong",( they could have built a new ride in that time so they could have at least fixed an exisiting one) Having poor quality F&B at the highest prices is something "wrong". Running GD with 6 seats is something "wrong". (and other rides at low capacity for that matter) Closing old rides and not replacing them is something "wrong". Being uncompetitive with capital spending is something "wrong" I would like to see how people can explain away these problems...

Edited by Gazza

Even though I would agree that Dreamworld needs to pick up its act, you do need to keep in mind that the company just spent a heap of money installing a water park, and as far as parks go it really displays a good standard. If they can translate some of this effort throughout the Dreamworld areas, it could really bring it back up to speed. I think the strongest signs of improvement currently are that they are installing a new coaster and relocating the vintage cars. Especially considering that they are going to the extent of keeping the attraction rather than dismissing it. From what I have gathered they are also going to make an effort to pretty up the new location, and also create a fresh feeling around the new coaster. Let's not forget that there is every chance that Eureka could be fixed, and I can tell you now that they could employ a task force for a couple of months devoted to cleaning the place up. That being said, if these changes are not made than we should really have something to worry about. The thing I will say about the Dreamworld/Movieworld debate is that Dreamworld has been opened a lot longer than Movieworld and currently occupies a greater deal of land. Movieworld requires less effort to maintain its appearance because they do a range of touch ups in the morning. Dreamworld has a lot of 'natural' areas that span quite a distance. The second issue is that Movieworld really hasn't faced the issue of old detiorating rides. In fact, most of their classic attractions have already been replaced, rather than maintained. PS - The issue I was addressing earlier was the fact that I went to the park when it was essentially empty and waited en eternity to get on anything.

I know the issue here isn't MW vs. DW, but I'm going to use MW as a comparison, here. You enter MW and see the Fountain of Fame. You can instantly feel the magic in the park. Walking through the various themed sections of the park you feel like you are actually in the Wild West or Chinatown. The amount of detail in theming in MW can only come from the dedication, experience and the 'passion' which has been mentioned from those at WVTP. Even sitting at the tables across from Santa Fe Sundaes, there are old western movie posters posted on the walls, an example of how much detail MW puts into their theming. I find that really the only place that matches this description in Dreamworld is Gold Rush Country and Rivertown before it was drowned by Wiggles World (don't get me wrong Wiggles World is a good idea and very inventive, but sticks out like a sore thumb from it's surroundings.) Dreamworld keeps introducing certain things to the park that just disrupt the overall flow of things. Take for example the rock climbing wallin ocean parade. I don't know about you, but I'm not paying $6 to climb 4 metres up a wall. The flowrider and coin operated r/c boats and cars are other examples of how Dreamworld seems to be slowly phasing out the whole idea of only paying for admission. As has already been pointed out in the thread, one of the most classic DW attractions, the railway, is being allocated very little maintenance. Articles such as "Dreamworld attendance down, annual revenue up' is evidence of how Dreamworld seems to be focusing more on maximising profits. The fact that the TOT only climbs two thirds of the tower shows how DW is trying to save electricity. Are they doing this for the environment...or is it to save money? Now I know what I've said is probably going to be slammed by many people, and in several cases of what I have said may be wrong. If I am wrong, or you think my opin ion is wrong, please tell me why you think this...but please, be nice :P . And I hope that if there is a DW representative on the forums that reads this, that they see it as constructive criticism, not an all out war against DW. It's just my opinion.

Edited by Swanny

Went to dreamworld today, longest queue was for wipeout because of its minimum required load of 20people. had to wait about 10 minutes for enough to come ride. Everything else was pretty much walk on. Twice in the afternoon they launched TOT twice per load which was nice of them. It takes about a minute to reset and recharge. Also got filmed on cyclone for the shack on channel 9 which was cool.

Cool. You're a TV star! :P But just so you know, you might not get on TV, most times they only air around like 10% of what they film. But back on subject. I agree Movie World looks way better then DW. Like Movie World is one of the cleanest parks I've ever been to. Well, all WTVP are very clean. Dreamworld is just one of those parks that doesn't really care about how clean they are. And I also find the PR staff very hard to deal with. :P

Even though I would agree that Dreamworld needs to pick up its act, you do need to keep in mind that the company just spent a heap of money installing a water park
WWW cost $60 million. Though this may sound like alot of money (and it is) if you put it in perspective compared to other attractions/parks, it's not that much. For example, Superman ESCAPE at MW cost $16 million, which is more than a quarter of the cost of opening WWW.
Let's not forget that there is every chance that Eureka could be fixed
Considering that there's been half a year of nil activity, removal of the queue area/carts and no signs of construction/maintenance, I'd say that the chances are slimmer than slim of it returning. Don't get me wrong, it could happen, but when the chances are that slim... :(
Dreamworld has a lot of 'natural' areas that span quite a distance.
By 'natural' areas, I'm assuming you're reffering to bushland, marshland or some flora-related subject. If this is what you are reffering to; Dreamworld doesn't need to maintain these areas much at all, as it is living flora which takes care of itself, most of the time.
The second issue is that Movieworld really hasn't faced the issue of old detiorating rides. In fact, most of their classic attractions have already been replaced, rather than maintained.
I see what you're getting at, and yes there have been numerous replacements of attractions at MW, but think about LW, the Looney Toones River Ride and the Police Academy Stunt Show, all of which opened at the same time as the park, except, LW, which followed not too far behind at all. These rides and others are older than mnay of Dreamworld's attractions such as; the claw, GD, TOT, Nick Central and flowrider. Edited by Swanny

As I've always said, it's best summed up like this - Dreamworld has the quantity, Movie World has the QUALITY (and yes, I do like pretty much all the DW rides). At least with the motorcycle accelerator, it'll add a lot of appeal and hopefully be the sign of greater things to come. DW always has had a special place in my heart but it needs to lift its game.

Edited by Tony Teulan

WWW cost $60 million. Though this may sound like alot of money (and it is) if you put it in perspective compared to other attractions/parks, it's not that much. For example, Superman ESCAPE at MW cost $16 million, which is more than a quarter of the cost of opening WWW.
Yeah but when you work on that logic it is still the cost of four Superman Escapes in the space of a year, so it isn't like the company isn't spending money. Don't get me wrong, it isn't an excuse for the decay of Dreamworld, but it is indication that the company can apply themselves if the money and intention is there.
Considering that there's been half a year of nil activity, removal of the queue area/carts and no signs of construction/maintenance, I'd say that the chances are slimmer than slim of it returning. Don't get me wrong, it could happen, but when the chances are that slim... :(
True. Trust me, you can quote me previously on saying that it looks ominous. I think that while Dreamworld continues to state that the attraction exists, there is still a chance. And in the case it is removed, who is to say that it will not be replaced in time. At the moment that Eureka shut down the company was probably a little more pre-occupied with the construction of the water park and sorting out how they would install their new attraction the motorbike coaster. Currently they have a lot going on in the park with respects to the relocation of vintage cars and the booster bikes, so maybe when they free up some resources Eureka will get the treatment it deserves.
By 'natural' areas, I'm assuming you're reffering to bushland, marshland or some flora-related subject. If this is what you are reffering to; Dreamworld doesn't need to maintain these areas much at all, as it is living flora which takes care of itself, most of the time.
Well that's right, and I think that the attitude that these areas can be left flows into areas that probably need a bit of upkeep. And you could probably make a similar comparison between some of Wet n Wild's older attractions in terms of aesthetics and cleanliness and those of WhiteWaterWorld and it really doesn't make a great claim for WVTP's as people are saying. I don't think that the issue is really to do with the companies in charge of these parks.
When does the GD run with 6 people? It's always both sides when I see it
Essentially any time the park is not busy and they can save money on running costs. Both Movieworld and Dreamworld are culprits of closing major attractions for a large period of time in off peak seasons. It helps save money.

Yeah but when you work on that logic it is still the cost of four Superman Escapes in the space of a year, so it isn't like the company isn't spending money. Don't get me wrong, it isn't an excuse for the decay of Dreamworld, but it is indication that the company can apply themselves if the money and intention is there.
Yeah, It is a good sign that the company can do well with a park and doesn't just go to the lowest bidder with ride equipment, but DW and WWW are separate...it is nice they are spending $60 mil on waterparks, how about sharing more around to fix DWs issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to going to Dreamworld again yesterday and I have some various things to report. Before I do, let me withdraw my remark about the general upkeep of Wet'n'Wild as it was particularly focussed at the mountain which is now destroyed. Maybe they heard me? Haha... probably not. Ok, first I will start with the good news. I was very impressed with the general feel of the park. I was very happy with the aesthetics and particularly, I will have to say that there is a lot of construction and maintenance work going on all around the park. Now, I am not talking about just where the new ride is going in, but plenty of places. It gives me the impression that they are looking to make the improvements. And there really is a proactive feel around the park with respect to getting the place back on track. As for the installation of the new ride. Most of the concrete footings are in. From these you can pretty well see the layout of the track. It looks like it is going to be pretty short, but assuming it stays low it will probably be great for maintaining the speed. The current map has removed the vintage cars from this area, but still calls it 'rivertown'. I really cannot tell what is left of Rivertown, but perhaps they may redevelop it with this new ride as the main attraction. Ideally (long term of course), they could extend this area to across to the island and create a new area on there, but that is just my personal speculation. The only thing I can really tell for sure about this ride is that the launch section will be located directly next to the Tower of Terror track and run parallel to it moving north, and it appears to launch from the station. I will be curious to see how they create the entrance and all that. Now, the next big one is Eureka. I really cannot say what is going on, because I have no idea, but this is what I observed, and you can make your own inferences at will. The first is that Eureka is no longer on the map, and is not considered an attraction. When I went earlier in the year they had the sign up saying it would not be running today... obviously. It's no longer there. Again, just observations so make of it what you will. The second is that the front of the building between the candy shop and icecreamery adjacent to the IMAX theatre has been tawn down and you can no-longer walk between these two sections. There is construction fences in front of this area so it is hard to miss. If I was to speculate, I would say that it was simple renovations, but who knows... The final thing is with respect to the new area where they are building the Vintage Cars. I would like to say at this point it is good to see them relocating the ride rather than removing it. And I am happy to see them installing the new coaster in the location it is. However, I find it odd that they will build the new Vintage Cars in such a far away location. If anyone is not sure where it is going, it is basically out over a river behind the log ride. It is really a long way to walk for such an attraction that is essentially on its own out there. Personally, I think it is a sign that they will look to expand the park out there in future. But make of it what you will.

Maybe they are expanding people around the park, because I have noticed you get alot of clusters in certain areas of the park. Last time I went to dreamworld I notice they were building new paths, leading to the area you described. I think its good where they are building, they are expanding there park, and you never know, it could become a whole new 'world' (ok that may be pushing it) but other attractions may be erected in that area in the future.

HAHA - you said erected. Ok on topic: Yeah I think some new rides would be cool. But I hope they arn't little crapy things and are good rides like Superman, Wild West and not like Road Runner etc. Or if there is going to be a ride like Road Runner, at least have a REALLY good ride too.

Just on the quality of Dreamworld & Expansions, it appears that the Nightmares venue will be turned into a Function Centre called "The Dream Room". Now my sources tell me this won't be a full on, purpose built building, but rather just the use of the shell from Nightmares. The best part about it though, is if it rains, guests of "The Dream Room" will be able to walk up the volcano, and go for a ride down the old tyre slide. Good on ya Dreamworld. You've outdone yourselves this time.

The best part about it though, is if it rains, guests of "The Dream Room" will be able to walk up the volcano, and go for a ride down the old tyre slide.
Really? :P Thought they destroyed most of it... Are you making it up, being sarcastic or is this true? :P

This is true dude, oh and they have been destroyed to an extent. A lot of the old water-park is still there. The non tyre slides in the volcano have been pulled down, however the Tyre slide (which was the one built into the volcano) is however still there. Being sarcastic though, but the stuff about the Dream Room, and the slide still being there is true.

I'm not going to go into my backround and history, but in my opinion, Dreamworld has turned into an utter joke of a park and MacLes are simply destroying what was once a wonderful place to visit. Plain and simply, Dreamworld started to go downhill when John Longhurst sold out. Maybe he just got out at the right time, and the park would have fallen into financial trouble even with him at the helm, but the facts are there to see. After Mr Longhurst left, we have seen a complete lack of thought as far as theming is concerned. Think back to when DW first opened and it's first eight or so years of operation. It was perfect in every way. Such a magical place with so much charm. How much charm and magic is at DW these days?? None. It's a multi coloured eyesore. Since 1993, rides and attractions - as great and fantastic as they may be - have been slapped willy nilly all over the park with no thought of what the outcome of those moves might be. I know that this is the fault of different ownership groups and not just Macquarie Leisure, but it just goes to show that when corporations take over a theme park, more often than not the warm, fuzzy feelings mean little - profits rule and they don't care how they come or at what cost. Wipeout - Completely out of place in what was Country Fair. TOT - Utterly out of place roaring through Rivertown and Gum Tree Gully. Wiggles World - Destroyed one of the most beautiful areas of Dreamworld. While these rides and attractions have been of an incredible service to DW, they have forced all of the charm out of those areas, to the point where it looks like Rivertown may as well be closed forever. The other thing that is dragging the park down is the decision to paint the buildings - which once gave DW so much character - bright colours which just looks so out of place. Bright paint fades, and without regular recoats, will look hideous in a couple of years time. Just look at the Claw and different areas of Nick Central. My conclusion to this rant is this - John Longhurst built DW with his heart and soul. It wasn't all about profits. He truely wanted to create something special. And he succeeded. All those that have come and gone since his departure have not shared this passion. If they did, Dreamworld wouldn't be in the mess it's in today. It makes me wonder where the park would be if John Longhurst was still involved.

Thunder River Rapids has been updated... since I don't know when, but it is COMPLETELY different. There are animatronic miners in the cave now and it has been fixed with the strobe light and everything. They even spray you and stuff! It is easily the best themed ride in the park now. This may be old news but its certainly different to last time I went to Dreamworld (although that would be just over a year ago now). I think what I examined the most yesterday was that Dreamworld needed a little TLC. What I mean by this is, they have great rides and buildings, they just LOOK run down, so they are. Although some rides themselves are run-down, the majority of the park could easily be fixed to made look new again. Movie World do this sucessfully by retheming the main street buildings every few years, WnW update their buildings and build others to match the surroundings (thats why a lot of people said H20 Zone was out of place). It's just not the same with Dreamworld, it's all over the joint... fair enough for "so many worlds in one", but the worlds should look like they are at least from the same universe. Colonial style buildings with bright fluro paint DO NOT GO! The Claw should not be spraypainted to make it look like it's supposed to be "worn out", it looks disgusting! Wipeout seats should not be repaired with duct tape! It's these little things that make a big difference. I guess what I am trying to say is that you can see the good and the bad in Dreamworld, but unfortunately the bad is covering up the good at the moment.

Edited by myk

I agree, and I think that people naturally, not jsut in the area of theme parks, but nearly everything, look at the negatives before the positives. In my experience working for and with Dreamworld, I have never seen a dull expression on someone's face walking through the park. And as far as the Eureka Mountain Mine Ride, people are going to have to accept that reconstruction and refurbishment is taking place and there are a large number of other rides to try.