Possible Nickelodeon Marriot Hotel

There is a new licensing deal signed between Marriott and Nickelodeon to create a series of resorts around the world. They expect there could be as many as 20 of these under construction by 2020 with the first property to be in San Diego’s new Liberty Station development. Construction will begin in January 2008 and will open in early 2010 on the first resort that will feature 650 rooms, a 100,000 square foot “water park and activity deck” Other possible locations under consideration for Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott include just about every major family oriented destination in the US, Caribbean, Mexico, UK, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East.

It would seem the perfect place to put it and Dreamworld does at least need a hotel nearby. Movie world has the hotel/caravan park across the road next to the servo ( and let me tell you that is a bit of a hike from there to dreamworld )
I think it's about 3kms from memory. So yep a bit of a hike. That's why buses were invented. :)

It's more than 3 kms, walked it for the Screamworld event in Feb, thank god for the shuttle bus from the pub near dreamworld ( very nice driver gave me a lift back to the hotel at 10.30 at night, was not looking forward to that walk back ). This would be great as part of there city walk (?) plans.

From memory there is actually accomodation at the end of Dreamworld Parkway or close-by on the Pacific Motorway, not far from DW at all... Anyway, back on topic. I wonder what kind of things we can expect from these "Nickelodeon Resorts." I mean, will it just be a resort with lots of posters of Nick characters everywhere, or somy crazy architecture to make it fun for kids e.g. secret passageways, slides etc, or something else?

Edited by Swanny

6.25 KM between Dreamworld & WBMW. That aint that far, you could EASILY walk that. I know I could.
And it was a very nice walk, and i did walk it. Any back on topic. Hoilday Inn have lost there agreement with Nickelodeon...runs out in 2009. Marriott International, Nickelodeon (a divsion of Viacom) and Miller Global Properties LLC have announced an agreement to co-develop a new family friendly branded resort concept called Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott. They expect there could be as many as 20 of these under construction by 2020 with the first property to be in San Diego’s new Liberty Station development. Construction will begin in Janurary 2008 and will open in early 2010 on the first resort that will feature 650 rooms, a 100,000 square foot “waterpark and activity deck” (Editor Note: How ironic that this will open just a few miles from where I grew up... the entire Liberty Station development area was formerly known in my day as the US Navy Training Center (NTC to locals...) before it was shut down and the land released for other development.) Other possible locations under consideration for Nickelodeon Resorts by Marriott include just about every major family oriented destination in the US, Caribbean, Mexico, UK, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Middle East. Yep... they’re taking the concept world wide it seems. The waterpark / activity area will be a signature feature of all of the resorts and indoor waterparks will be built at locations in cooler climates to allow for year-round fun. Obvioulsy the Nickelodeon characters will be in full force here, including a character breakfast in the NickToons Cafe and on Studio Nick, a live stage theater space. Other features will be a Nick Pix photo studio, Nick.com Cyberzone and a large game room. Edited by rosscoe

I’m not so positive that they will build so many Themed hotels. The hotels are not the stupid with there money. Families don’t spend money in hotels. If the hotels were built they would have to be very loosely themed so that quick and with minimal expense it could all be removed. The Nick, teeming is a very temporary thing, I just cant see a company like Marriot putting money into something so unstable, and something that is just a fad.

The basic concept is that the hotels will be combined with water parks and other attractions as part of the entire experience. They won't just be standalone themed hotels; they'll be complete self-sustaining holiday experiences. If you look overseas, there is a very big trend towards this concept of linking hotels directly with attractions, namely water parks. The Great Wolf Lodge chain has been very successful with this concept, and parks like Cedar Point and Alton Towers have both opened up hotel-only indoor water parks to allow year-round operating. It's the closest thing to a turnkey hotel operation. Where in the past hotels could essentially only be built in areas where people would be likely to stay (holiday, business destinations etc.), this is a concept which allows them to build where they want by creating their own mini-destination.

It is a great brand and hope to see it built at dream world??
I just cant see a company like Marriot putting money into something so unstable, and something that is just a fad.
It seems to me you've changed your tone as soon as you found out it was Marriott, not IHH. The fact is Nickelodeon is anything but a fad. Kids that grew up watching the channel in the 1980s are now having children of their own. Over the next decade or so the number of families like this will increase hugely. Nickelodeon is one of the strongest children's brands in the world and children are increasingly playing a vital role in family decision making. Just watch as this becomes a cash cow for Marriott.