Southern Star Observation Wheel Update

varekai

Wow, I dint know they had got that far in constructing this wheel already. It looks so high, and im sure it will be a great ride as well as a great financial success. Lets not forget that this thing will hopefully draw many more people to Melbourne, which is a city alot of people forget about (I think, seeing as though we have no theme parks down here!).

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's been a long time since the last update on the wheel I decided to take some pics! :lol: They were taken yesterday (1st of July) which means it's the start of a new month of construction, and also considering that the updates, on R-C.com.au, are taking place every month, it is a great time to post some up. And Richard, if you want to use any of the pictures on the website, go right ahead and take them!. From the pictures below it looks like the wheel is going to have more than one side of supports, which is different to the London Eye, but it's still massive! The top of the supports are nearly as tall as the Bolty Brige road; which should be right, because the Herald Sun stated that the top of the wheel is going to be as tall as those goalpost things. Oh, and I've also included a zoomed in shot of the Eureka Tower's Edge (the little box that comes out of the building), and a overview of the city. Anyway, enough of the talking, take a look at the pictures yourself:

post-1433-1183321730_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183321872_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183321972_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183322411_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183322623_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183322730_thumb.jpg

post-1433-1183322968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

• 1 month later...
Entry will be under $30. What $29.95. Thanks for posting that Gazza.
Not bad when you consider that the LondonEye costs 25 pounds a ride.... that's about $AU63... but then again, the London skyline is somewhat more, ahem, worth looking at I guess :P Went past the wheel last week and was surprised how far away from the CBD it is... bit of a wasteland at the moment... is the area around it planned for development or what?

It was meant to be a Paramount theme park, but some moron thought that cafes and shops would be better for the area.
Yeah,They shoudlve put in a Paramount theme park,it was a very stupid idea to put shops and cafe's down there! The whole area basically relies on the Football and Summer for attendance,when the Footy's not on and Summer has past or gone,its a ghost town.

One thing I noticed from that article is that the wheel has had a bit of a design change. If you look at the rendering it has 8 spokes, but in the Diagrams it has 7 spokes (which makes sense and is a good idea given it is called "The Southern Star, the fact it is supposed to have 21 pods would also work with the 7 spokes evenly) Also, in the rendering you can see the loading area was going to be a big river pebble shaped thing, but at the Information Center it has all been updated, and it will just be a fairly ordinary looking modern building (reminded me of a ski lift station since on one side it had a sloping wall) and this building will contain an arcade etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like the rim of the wheel has been completed already! There are some pictures posted by Vinnie J on the website Parkz - Observation Wheel Construction. There was also a article in the Sunday Herald Sun today. My scanner is not working at the moment <_< . However I did find a link to it on the Herald Sun website I'm looking forward in seeing this wheel in action when it's finished. CoAsTeR TeeN

• 6 months later...

So this is still inching along, thanks for the pics Coasterteen. So is the Harbour Town area all open now? Can you drive in now? Last time I was there it was just a dirt road, and that whole parcel of land the development was taking place was surrounded by hoardings. Though one thing the photo was taken from the Bolte (not Bolty) Bridge*, the structure is named after a past Victorian Premier, Sir Henry Bolte *The actual Bolte Bridge that crosses the Yarra is still several km ahead, this is the elevated freeway leading to it.

Edited by Gazza

Thanks Gazza :). I didn't think the pics would be checked that fast so I was going to post in this thread tomorrow morning as well as add more pics but i guess you bet me to it ^_^ . *sigh* Yeah it's moving soooo slowly. It' been ages since there has bee a photo update, and all that has really happened is the addition of the carriges. But the station is one of the 3 levels in that bulding below. I think it's 3, because the other 2 are going to be used as for retail shops, restaurants and cafe's. So when you think about it's a huge project.

So is the Harbour Town area all open now? Can you drive in now? Last time I was there it was just a dirt road, and that whole parcel of land the development was taking place was surrounded by hoardings.
Um i'm not very familiar of the Dockland's Area, so i don't really know what 'Harbour Town' is, soz. Is this the area in the back on the wheel? And in this PIC I didn't think that we were able to drive down that road. The road looks like u can drive on it, but the lights are not working where this road intersects with the main road outside the site. BTW, when searching the web for more info on the wheel, I found an officail website: http://www.thesouthernstar.com.au/. Has a interesting computer animated vid of the attraction Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

Sorry about that. Well it seems like u have found and checked the pics already, thanks for that Richard :) . Well there are now a few more pics to be viewed. So for anyone that hasn't seen them yet, here are the links for anyone who is too lazy to head to the home page :P : Overview: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Melbourne...65-23_9_08.html Overview: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Melbourne...r_overview.html Overview: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Melbourne...64-23_9_08.html Station (loading and unloading platform): http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Melbourne...e_building.html Close-up of one of the cars: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/AU/Melbourne...tar_cabins.html

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the wheel will be up and running sooner than i had imagined acording to a newspaper article in todays Sunday Herald Sun. They are saying that it will open on the weekend of the Melbourne Cup, which is from the 5th, to the 7th of Nov. But there really isn't an official openning date yet :(. I want to get there on the opening day, so i can take some pics, vid of the opening ceremony and stuff like that. So i guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for that date. I have attached a pic of the article below, for your viewing pleasure :P

post-1433-1223775065_thumb.jpg

Edited by CoAsTeR TeeN

• 1 month later...