What does everybody think of the Vekoma Tilt?

inTIMidated

It's an interesting concept. Clearly, just a gimick, but a pretty fun looking one at that. The Taiwan ride's known Gravity Max, at Discovery World. Originally, some of you might remember (we're talking about 2001 or so) the park was having some financial difficulties and having trouble getting construction completed and the park opening, but it seems to have all come together and I'm guessing it's all operating now without too many problems. A lot of people say they wouldn't trust the ride because of the precarious nature of the tilt, but I did do a lot of research into it's locking mechanisms a while back and it's got plenty of redundant safety systems in place. Beyond the actual hooking/release mechanism, you've got camming devices (as in elevators) and essentially a steel "block", all of which are mechanically pulled out of position through contacts that can only be made in the vertical position. In all honesty, you should be more worried that you're going to get stuck vertical rather than rolling off the end of the track (and I'm sure they've got an emergency system where if it is stuck vertical, they can easily right it again). Another thing, the trains look really sweet. They must be among the most open and exposed trains on the market. Giovanola were/are also working on a version of this ride, which really utilises the potential of the tilt. They had plans to make it so that there were multiple courses, which can be accessed by rotating/sliding of the tilted track, and riders would vote for the course they want to go on. Obviously, it sounds very interesting on paper, but I think it'd be a lot more than a pain and waste of money to execute in real life.

Couldn't agree more. As well as just the tilting itself, saying you don't trust it because its Vekoma is just being stupid. You may say you don't like them (and I also question those motives) but lets not confuse preference with safety here! I think the concept/ride looks very interesting/exciting, would definately be something different to bring down under and Dreamworld is already hooked up with Vekoma... I've always been a big fan of the 'fishook' coaster on the stratosphere in vegas. I never quite knew how they would get the train back up top but asuming that was all worked out would this be a wicked launch!!