Summer 2003 Construction

Richard

Dreamworld seems to be getting ready to really kick off construction on their latest attraction/s. They've got some construction going on over in the side storage/maintenance area beside Thunderbolt (behind Vortex) - the same area that Reptar's track was stored prior to vertical construction. They've got all sorts props that let's just say look very "tomby". I've not taken any photos of it yet- I'm hoping to get out to Dreamworld with a camera some time this week or next week (I'm very busy, so I am a bit doubtful :)). I guess I'm confirming my previous news that Lara Croft is coming for this year's christmas. Let's not get too excited, it's not going to be a ride. I'm sure a quality attraction nonetheless (especially as a licensed attraction), but you'll have to wait just a little longer for the next thrill ride. 8)

Hey Richard Although not directly related to your post, a short time ago in a thread I'm not sure of mention was made to an old "Mummy" attraction being reserected... I can't recall ever seing such an attraction, can you shed any light?? Thanks heaps, look forward to seeing the photos.

The mummy atraction was just like a temporary walk through atraction that they built there during the school holidays when my favorite movie 'the mummy' came out. It was like the school holidays advertising. It was located in that big white building when you walk in, to the left of the fountains. The whole thing was made out of hession bags and it was just like a labronth thing that you walked through with mummys jumping out at you. Groups of 4 or 5 went through at a time in aline with each others hands on the shoulders of the person in front them and you were told 'Don't touch the mummys, and they won't touch you, much!' At the time I didn't think much of it but it was a pretty good tempary atraction now i think about it. They put lots of work into it and they had a heap of actors in it all dressed up wich is a pretty good for DW. :) I can even say they 'got' me a couple of times too :D The one thing I rember about it is that for the rest of the day i was covered in hesion strands from walking through the hession that was hanging from the roof and covering the walls. I rember picking it out while i went up the giant drop. I also saw the same atration at the melbourne show the same years so I wouldn't be surprised if it travelled around a fair bit. Shaun

Very interesting news. They purchased the props from a film set auction recently (could be from a film made down the road?), and they're using them for future attractions. It's not anything from old attractions. No official word on the actual attraction yet, but take into account what I've already said about it. One thing about film props is, despite being incredibly realistic, they're not always (in fact rarely) solid, sturdy things. I trust Dreamworld will give it some sort of reinforcing, because bored people will quickly make a mess of it (see Scooby-Doo's queue area, which isn't nearly as good as it was on the first days in terms of quality of theming). I'm leaning towards walkthrough at this stage, but for no other reason than that if I were Dreamworld, and down the road they've opened a walkthrough targeting teens, I know what I'd be doing. The only sort of show that fits this sort of theme would be a stunt show, and I don't see Dreamworld's entertainment department putting together a stunt show. Shows also need some sort of seating/stadium area, a walkthrough will need a concrete slab and a tin shed (air conditioning too, please!).