Sign in to follow this  
inTIMidated

Texas Tornado - did enyone ever go on it?

8 posts in this topic

One of those coasters I always wanted to go on when I finally go to Amercia is the Texas Tornado, at six flags astro world. It has now been removed and is being set up at six flags marine world as "Zonga". it is a really old steel coaster by Swartzkopf but it looks so damn fun! that first drop! heres a fantastic pic from joyrides.com: www.joyrides.com/sfaw/full/texas_tornado3.htm Have a look its amazing Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone here at total thrills has been on it? is it as good as it looks? where can i find an on-ride movie? what is it like going through one of those total eclips loops? thanks guys

If you download the Demo version of No Limits Roller Coaster Simulation, one of the free tracks you get with it is a replica of the Texas Tornado, or Zonga as it is now. But if you don't want it computer generated, I don't know where to find any on-ride videos..

RCDB confirms that - http://rcdb.com/installationdetail492.htm Quite amazing, considering the odd mouse or galaxy, if that, is the best our shows can do. It looks like a great ride, but most reports suggest that the restraints kill the ride. It's something I'd give a shot if I were at the park, but I don't think it'd headline a day at SFMW for me. Not to mention I love the African names - Kumba, Zonga, Zinga... they've just got that nice ring to them.

Not entirely true their Richard

Quite amazing, considering the odd mouse or galaxy, if that, is the best our shows can do.  
I remember (it's probably been decommissioned now) a looping coaster that was at darling harbour and the royal easter show one year called the python loop. (I think) It was really small with a small loop. I remember riding it and it was really really rough.

I reckon those old schwarzkopf coasters are great fun.I went on the loopingstar in Japan and it was my first experience going through a loop without shoulder restraints which made for a smooth ride.I remember going on a coaster at LunaPark and i found out it was a Jetstar2 recently.

Yeah, the Python Loop was a Pinfari Zyklon Z42L if I remember correctly (might have been the Z47L, but I doubt it :?). No idea where it ended up - presumably overseas. Even so, that's absolutely nothing compared to some of these Schwarzkopf monsters. The Luna Park Jetstar is now at Perth's Adventure World as Turbo Mountain. I think it also spent some time in Adelaide somewhere between Sydney and Perth, and the spiral lift was either removed in Adelaide, or before it opened in Perth. RCDB has some good pictures of it, both at Adventure World and Luna Park: http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail1126.htm