I Feel Oh So Welcome in Here.

Look. I have never stated that I know absolutely every last detail about Dreamworld or the goings on therein. I have never released information that a)other workers at Dreamworld have not or b)could get me sacked. The reason I work at a theme park is because I love them. Obviously. If you love something, it would be kind of stupid (to say the least) to release information about it that could very possibly get you sacked/fired/etc. I am only a ride operator, yes, and I have NEVER implicated that I myself am a member of Dreamworld management. I have never said that. But like I posted once before, do you all honestly believe that any worker, not just me in particular, can confidently work at a theme park if they are not well-informed about what's happening? Any other job description works the same. You could work at a school. Be a teacher, even. Does that mean you're not going to know what information the principal has given to staff? What about a job as casual as a coffee shop worker? Are you not going to know what type of coffee you sell because the management there aren't going to tell you? Well, the same principle works at a theme park. Workers are told what is going on, they are informed about construction, rides, developments, refurbishments, closures etc. To be extremely blunt, we have to know. We HAVE to know. Otherwise, to a degree, we are just members of the public. Because the public isn't aware of changes that are going to be made (before a press release). If workers don't get told, then we are, in hindsight, placed in the shoes of a member of the public. That can ultimately do two things to workers: 1. It can, no, it WILL, force us to think twice about everything we are queried about. Which is a major problem. And it's a problem that could come into general public safety. Prime example: someone comes up to me, and says, "Excuse me, why is the Giant Drop closed today?" How confident am I, or other workers in this position, going to come across as if all we can say is "I don't know."? 2. When it gets down to it, we simply don't know what the hell is going on in our workplace. Simple as that. And that's what Dreamworld is. My/our workplace. And to all the people that are getting on my back about revealing "top secret information" and "information that could get me sacked"? It goes back to my comment about the silliness and downright idiocy of jeapordising something you love. If it was information that I was going to get sacked for (which is a bit extreme, anyway), I wouldn't say it. Everything I have posted is completely safe for me to say. I'm not just "making up crap" or "talking up a position" or "pulling information from out of the air". Whether any of you believe me or not, all I am is a worker at Dreamworld. Which means I am a well-informed worker. Ride operator, janitor, stall operator, food shop operator, engineer...all the workers are in the same boat. We are all working, at our workplace, knowing what's happening and what's going on. Believe what you want to believe. I am only converying information that, while it is NOT dangerous for me to release, is useful. I'm trying to help people on here understand what's going on at Dreameworld better and all of a sudden I am "talking up a position" and "making stuff up". If you don't believe anything I say, fine. I can't make you. But I will continue to inform members, subscribers and everyone else on these forums on the goins-on at Dreamworld. Because I can.

Edited by Dreamworld Ride Op

tempobox.jpg Yeah, yeah... ok... ok. Jokes aside. I think this will best be moved elsewhere soon enough. I am not going to really get into the discussion. I think the best thing to do is just move on. If you wish to post about stuff go ahead, just don't get all angry. Ghandi teaches that "Honest disagreement is often a healthy sign of progress." I don't think we are all going to agree around here, but there are different ways of handling the situation. If Richard wants to take the tissues out, feel free champ.

I am only a ride operator Workers are told what is going on, they are informed about construction, rides, developments, refurbishments, closures etc. Because the public isn't aware of changes that are going to be made (before a press release). That can ultimately do two things to workers: 1. It can, no, it WILL, force us to think twice about everything we are queried about. Which is a major problem. And it's a problem that could come into general public safety. Prime example: someone comes up to me, and says, "Excuse me, why is the Giant Drop closed today?" How confident am I, or other workers in this position, going to come across as if all we can say is "I don't know."?
Rideop - I too was an employee of a theme park, most of you know which, and what I did there. I did not op rides (well officially anyway, but there was the odd occasion when..... nevermind) however a lot of my friends were ride ops, and I have to take issue with a couple of things you've said there. First of all - get sacked, see if I care - you know what you should and shouldn't do and leave it at that, HOWEVER: 1) yes, you are only a ride operator, and theres some things that ride ops shouldn't know, or, should know but shouldn't say. 2) a good park management SHOULD inform their staff of the goings on in the park, but not always, and not everything 3) you make a good point there about press releases. Usually when a park is ready for information to go public, they issue a press release. If the release details information about the ride, but you know a little more about it - by all means share it - but if the issue in the release is not yet released, you should not be sharing it. Not only can you lose your job but you can also be prosecuted for breach of disclosure - which is bad. 4) as far as what you tell the public - for example where you talk about something being wrong with GD - this is the issue. You aren't maintenance personnel, so you cannot make more than a slightly educated guess about the ride's problem. How many people will have confidence in the ride, and their own safety, if you tell them its not open today because the brakes failed? this is not something that should be shared with the general public... because next time, they won't want to ride in case the brakes fail while they're on it. It undermines the public confidence. You know, and I know, and the other members know, that if something like that happens, there are always failsafes in place, typically, the worst that could happen is maybe a little whiplash if you hit the other train in front... but the public doesnt know this. All they know about brakes is what's on their car, and they know if those brakes fail, they're gunna crash. Its the same with airliners. You aren't delayed because the engine had a fire, you are delayed because of technical difficulties. If dreamworld want the issue of a ride's malfunction made public, they would display that at the front gates. DEAR DREAMWORLD GUESTS: UNFORTUNATELY, DUE TO CATASTROPHIC BRAKE FAILURE ON TOWER OF TERROR, IT WILL NOT BE OPERATING UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. BUT REST ASSURED ALL OF OUR OTHER RIDES ARE UP TO SCRATCH, SO PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO RIDE THOSE ONES. Would you pay $$$? to enter a park with a sign like that out the front? I don't think so. Which is why dreamworld just say "closed for maintenance" or refurbishment, or whatever.

Whoahoh, BIG lie there. Regardless of what park you worked at, I find it extremely unlikely that you were to WITHDRAW information from the public. Because that's what you're saying. You're telling me that whatever theme park you worked at, you were to....to...cover up information? You told guests at "x" (being the theme park) that any faults would be covered up with some cheap obvious statement? Like, a mechanical difficulty? The safety of visitors to a theme park is second to none. It is surely against regulations that, if asked about the condition of a ride, you make an "educated guess". That just surely isn't allowed. This is the safety of riders here. And you make it seem as if people's questions give theme park workers the ride to have an "educated" stab in the dark about the reason of the fault? Not likely.

Hey dreamworld_ride_op, do you have red hair? Because when me and my friend go to DW, always we see a girl with red hair operating rides. And it would be funny if it was you. I have a question, do the people that do the slimetime shows and the other 1, do they operate rides as well or do they just do shows?

Reading through your post, I have no idea what your point is, and who you are trying to make it to. No one here with half a brain doesn't realise that the average theme park employee will have knowledge about what the park is doing. Anyone who has suggested otherwise you can ignore because I can assure you the rest of us will have been doing so for a lot longer. We have plenty of other theme park employees on this site. These forums are frequented by countless others ranging from employees like yourself up to management. The difference between all these others is that you have been posting opinions like they are facts and rehashing information that is very well known and implying that it's insider gossip. I would also most definitely check up on your employment contract and brush up on any non-disclosure policies in effect. There are reasons most other park employees here don't post insider information and you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't think your bosses are reading what you're saying. I'm not suggesting you have broken your contract, but I'd be very cautious. I'm not saying you haven't been making valuable contributions here, but if you lighten up and stop trying to prove yourself with each post I'm sure the majority of members here will gladly welcome you. If you want respect from this community, start by respecting everyone here.

Hey dreamworld_ride_op, do you have red hair? Because when me and my friend go to DW, always we see a girl with red hair operating rides. And it would be funny if it was you. I have a question, do the people that do the slimetime shows and the other 1, do they operate rides as well or do they just do shows?
It would be difficult to tell in an individual situation, however usually the crew at the Slimetime shows are qualified to operate rides, however they are not usually put onstand to actually operate them. As far as my knowledge goes, workers at shows and attractions do not actually operate the rides unless there is a shortage etc, in which case they CAN. Having been qualified to do so. Hope that helps. And no, I don't have red hair :)

You aren't maintenance personnel, so you cannot make more than a slightly educated guess about the ride's problem. How many people will have confidence in the ride, and their own safety, if you tell them its not open today because the brakes failed? this is not something that should be shared with the general public... because next time, they won't want to ride in case the brakes fail while they're on it.
Whoahoh, BIG lie there. Regardless of what park you worked at, I find it extremely unlikely that you were to WITHDRAW information from the public. Because that's what you're saying. You're telling me that whatever theme park you worked at, you were to....to...cover up information? You told guests at "x" (being the theme park) that any faults would be covered up with some cheap obvious statement? Like, a mechanical difficulty? The safety of visitors to a theme park is second to none. It is surely against regulations that, if asked about the condition of a ride, you make an "educated guess". That just surely isn't allowed. This is the safety of riders here. And you make it seem as if people's questions give theme park workers the ride to have an "educated" stab in the dark about the reason of the fault? Not likely.
I never, not once said that I was to WITHDRAW information. I am saying however that any park worth its salt will not unnecessarily alarm guests with information that is not necessary for them to know. What is the big lie? I did not lie in my post. I was referring to what YOU were saying. YOU said in your first post - and I quote:
someone comes up to me, and says, "Excuse me, why is the Giant Drop closed today?" How confident am I, or other workers in this position, going to come across as if all we can say is "I don't know."?
Your argument there appears to be that you should be allowed to tell guests exactly what is going on. My argument stipulated that the park should not be telling guests EXACTLY what the cause is because it unnecessarily alarms guests for no reason. And the only people who can state EXACTLY what is wrong with the ride in question would be the maintenance personnel who are trained in the mechanics of the ride. it was YOU I was referring to as making "educated guesses" and what I did say was a "slightly educated guess" because as the person operating the ride you would know the results of the failure - namely - brakes failing, but you would not know the cause - whereas the maintenance personnel would. If it is not dreamworld's policy to use phrases such as "mechanical difficulties" or "technical problems", then I am very much surprised that the park does not have a worse reputation than it does. I know that dreamworld does share with guests the cause of trouble with things such as when ToT shuts down after rain - namely they need to dry the LIM\LSM units. This is not a failure of the ride but a consequence of incliment weather. In this case dreamworld is doing the right thing, the ride isn't broken down, and they are keeping guests informed of the progress of the problem. But in the case of a failure of the ride, causing guests unnecessary alarm whilst they are trying to enjoy a pleasant day at an amusement park ruins this. As I said before, discussions on these forums can allow that sort of discussion, we're all educated, we know what the procedures are and can understand minor failure on rides - it comes with the territory. But to say to an average guest something which causes them concern or alarm is just not on. This sort of thing is even present in Roller Coaster Tycoon. If the park is closed, and you crash a coaster, guests will ride it when the park is reopened, but if the coaster crashes when the park is open, guests comment "im not riding "xxxxx", it's not safe. Your little spiel up there about guest safety being paramount contradicts your argument. You say that the safety is the most important, and yet you argue that telling the guest exactly what is wrong somehow makes them feel safer? This is crap. Generic terms and placatory phrases are the best things for guests who wouldn't know the difference between a chain dog and an LSM. Go ahead - baffle them with technical sounding terms. Make your opinion heard - look important, see where you end up. If I were at dreamworld, and an operator were to inform me of the failure of a ride component as being the cause of the trouble, I would take that person's name, and immediately lodge a complaint with guest relations before requesting a full refund. Having said that, I will be visiting Dreamworld in the next few weeks, with two members of my family who are infrequent riders, not enthusiasts by any means, and quite easily spooked into avoiding that which is unsafe, which therefore will ruin my day making me a single rider all day, so you better pray your attraction doesn't fail, because if you tell me the exact nature of the fault, and not just technical difficulties or some other generic term to reassure me as a guest and a patron that Dreamworld is a safe and responsible place, and that they're fixing it to make sure it doesnt fail, rather than fixing it because it failed, rest assured you will be fired before I leave the parking lot - just see if I don't.

Woo, I read the whole thing smile.gif
I have never really understood why people say things like that. I did a quick world count, its like the equivalent of like 2 or 3 pages from a novel, not exactly a marathon.
Regardless of what park you worked at, I find it extremely unlikely that you were to WITHDRAW information from the public.
Parks withdraw information from the public all the time, when I was at USH is was asked to take a guest survey, where they withdrew some information from me about my opinions of rides and service. Witholding information on the other hand....

I'd just like to add that NO PARK WORKERS ARE NOT ALWAYS INFORMED AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON! Yes at some point they are informed prior to opening but often not the many months, or sometimes even years we as enthusiasts know about something. Perfect example is the Surfrider at WnW. Certainly no one knew what was happening before the parks arrived, and even long after that and into construction many employees at your level did not know what it was all about. Most still don't know anything about the policies regarding attire whilst riding and all that sort of stuff. Same goes for something like Batwing, yes after a while many people knew it was a tower ride. Barely any knew exactly what the nature of the ride worked, and certainly no one who didn't take the time to find out for themselves knew how it worked. So you're full of crap, no management DON'T always tell front line employees everything and sometimes anything about new attractions coming months in advance. Even now many people at WnW are scetchy on the details of the new White Water Mountain slides... There are some of us like Ian, Joz and myself who have irregular channels for information, but none of these are through front line staff, it's just the way they opperate. And on top of all this ANY information an employee might know IS NOT to be posted to a site such as this.