Scooby-doo spooky coaster

Rollercoaster13

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had just gone up in the lift. We were in the front car. We didn't move. I could hear the people in the car behind us - so I knew it hadn't moved either. I suspected something was amiss. Next thing the music stops and an announcement (female voice) came over the speakers saying that the ride had to be temporarily stopped. We waited a little while and the announcement was repeated (suggesting to me that it was an automated announcement).
That reminds me of a while ago, when I was in line for it, and a female voice over came on the speakers, telling us "May I please have your attention, it is necessary for us to stop the ride temporarily. We thank you for your co-operation, and we apologize for the inconvenience" and it repeated every 10 seconds for quite a while. Of course, we never actually found out what the inconvenience was, but the ride started up again about15 minutes later.

• 4 weeks later...

When they used to have the smoke in there the laser hid the dip really well. For some reason the smoke hasn't been in that last room for ages now. I know the smoke was removed from the main room due to interfearance with the brakes but the small amount required for that effect in that location shouldn't prevent it from being used... Hope they get it back up because the ride is lacking some of the quality it used to have right now IMO

• 1 month later...
When they used to have the smoke in there the laser hid the dip really well. For some reason the smoke hasn't been in that last room for ages now. I know the smoke was removed from the main room due to interfearance with the brakes but the small amount required for that effect in that location shouldn't prevent it from being used... Hope they get it back up because the ride is lacking some of the quality it used to have right now IMO
Yeah, I finally got to ride it again yesterday, and it is a bit dissapointing. Makes me wonder why they bother wasting power on the lasers in the warehouse if the on place you can see them is where they hit the wall. Personally, I would use the steam system seen on SE in the final room....just shoot some out before the vehicle enters that last little 'room' so by the time you come around the corner and stop the drop is well hidden by the laser. Of course, it would probably be hard to justify the expense of a new steam system at this point in the rides life.

Not to mention that if the residue from a smoke system caused problems with brakes slipping, steam would be even worse - you have you remember that in SE, the steam is used just prior to launch, and the brake fins get a 30 second blow dry before they come anywhere near brakes - besides, the brakes are magnetic, rather than friction that you find on scooby.

Well I think MW just need to redesign there water misters, there are ones on the market that leave NO water on surfaces at all, I noticed that the misters are always dripping which isn't what there suppose to do. Disney used the same system on there "Expedition Everest" coaster at Animal Kingdom, they use two systems actually, The steam one as gazza mentioned and a misting system. The steam system is used in the station of the ride and is injected out of nozzles next and through the track with the friction brakes right next to it. The steam system would work if its designed properly and maintained, Superman's has been deteriorating over the last 2years, the water vapour getting more and more less visible, and not because of the weather (when first opened the steam was thick and it was in summer)

Just a theory (which could of course be wrong) about why the smoke is gone. My training for WVTP took place in one of the seminar rooms in the scooby building (bet you didn't know their were auditoriums in there!). On the way through our trainer was telling us about the scooby ride and he mentioned that if there's a fire the whole roof retracts to let the smoke out. I would imagine that this would be an automatic thing for safety reasons. It could just be that the fire alarms were mucking up? Maybe? Unfortunately I'm not in ops so I don't know for sure. I do have a friend who used to do ride attending though. I'll try to ask her.

Edited by cerberus584

The auditoriums are left over from the Gremlins adventure that used to be in that building. Just to quash this rumour before people start suggesting more about Scooby and fire regulations (sensor eyes, anyone?!) Heat sensitive fire systems are able to work in smoky environments - just like any theatre, nightclub or venue does when they have smoke during concerts and parties. The oil residue from theatrical smoke built up on the tracks over time, which made them replace it with the half-arsed mist system. It would actually be a good idea for them to revisit the smoke / haze concept now. Things have come a long way from the old G300 machines that used to do the haze in SDSC. I know for a fact there are products out there that have a much lower environmental impact than those older machines that are designed to be used in sensitive environments.

the water vapour getting more and more less visible,
Me fail english? Thats unpossible!
the whole roof retracts to let the smoke out.
See the millions of dollars they spent on baseball stadiums, and football stadiums can be justified to have a retractable roof, but when the attraction would cost less than the roof, I don't think so. You could achieve the same result in half the time if you had some heavy duty blowers and a side vent. Yes Nev, laser eyes do come to mind. Perhaps the trainer is the same guy who started both rumors... just for a lark...?

Alex B, I know you doubt me but I have mentioned this when talking to other staff, who have been ride attendants. Unless they're all having me on, I'm pretty sure it's correct. I don't see it costing that much to have the roof retractable. It's only necessary in the main room which is far smaller than a stadium. As all construction is done in-house there are no labour costs except for consistent wages. Is it possible you're exaggerating the actual cost. Perhaps the roof was originally designed for the gremlins ride?

Everyone's sort of half right... a lot of buildings that have 'themed' environments (theatres, theme parks) and other places have smoke vents in the ceiling which I think people might be getting confused with. The vents are held closed by a spring released cable that, when released, instantly causes the vents to open across the roof. I've been in venues that have dozens of these across a roof, that instantly open and when combined with some exhaust fans, can suck all the smoke out in a very limited amount of time. The key thing here is that they are spring released, and therefore don't rely on tons of automation (ie electrical) motors or sophisticated processes to open a roof like what is being proposed in the posts above. SDSC and indeed all of the other rides at MW are glorified sheds. Nothing more, nothing less. They're just vents people, just like the eyes in the cars are LEDs.... I'm gonna keep running with this metaphor cause it's just so nostalgic for me :P

sensor eyes, anyone?!
C'mon, we all loved that conspiracy theory. It may have been far from the truth, but it brought us all closer together, didn't it? ;) As nev said, anything that requires a whole heap of automation is prone to failure, especially when there's fire involved. Scooby-Doo is nothing without the smoke effects. P.s: Do they really use fans to move the smoke around? The buildings at my uni have magnetic door latches that automatically release doors (allowing them to close) when there is a fire to stop smoke spreading. I guess the warehouse environment is different. Since fire sprinklers etc are not replicated at lower "fake ceilings". Is this correct? P.s.2. I know someone who works in an aircraft maintenance hangar, and their fire protection system consists of two massive foam cannons that automatically activate and spray copious amounts of foam. They are essentially guns, each aimed at different ends of the hanger. I have seen them up close and they are pretty impressive.