Interestingly...

Richard

Vekoma was also approached about building (what became) Motocoaster who in turn came up with their own design for the ride. For one reason or another, the park settled with Intamin and here we are today. No idea whether it was similar to their other motorcycle coasters, or more akin to what Intamin installed, but it's interesting nonetheless. Who ever thought we'd see the day where people were wishing for a Vekoma rather than an Intamin?

It's all so sad. As I have said previously I can't help but think Dreamworld influenced Intamin somewhat and encouraged them to come up with a 'realistic' motorbike experience rather than a coaster... and I think this was the downfall. Either that or Intamin have just stuffed up completely all on their own. The Vekoma style of motorcycle coaster was more what was I was hoping for. Check this video out

The coaster in the video above still has quite a short ride time however it includes all of the fun elements which the Motocoaster so sorely needs. Not to mention the fact it appears to maintain its speed. Why couldn't we have ended up with something more like this?! Even the positive comments/reviews underneath the clip prove that this coaster succeeds where Dreamworld's doesn't

^I think if Intamin had been left to it we would have seen something quite similar to Rita or the second half of Piraten, the ride just looks so unlike their normal design style in terms of elements and track shaping. Pretty much the main downer in this is the lack of airtime, even Vekoma managed that. The ride has a suprisingly large site, so lack of space cant be used as an excuse. Its not just the poor ride experience, but the huge opportunity cost of this that is disappointing.

Edited by Gazza

Elaborating further on the comment I wrote on the Youtube clip of the Motocoaster POV, I reckon we should be calling for Stephen Gregg's resignation. As the CEO of Dreamworld he is responsible for this ride and as far as I'm concerned the buck stops with him. With so much money at their disposal there is no excuse that they didn't create a truly fun and successful coaster. $10 million dollars should at least buy a damn fun ride. I can't help but feel Mr Gregg has indulged his own personal interest in sport and motor racing to the detriment of the park and its guests. I'd like to see someone take over the park who knows how to oversee and implement a real theme park attraction and get over this idea of trying to create "new experiences never before seen in Australia"... particularly when those experiences are well below standard

Who ever thought we'd see the day where people were wishing for a Vekoma rather than an Intamin?
Well, let's not get too carried away. There is no guarantee that Vekoma would have produced a better product.
Elaborating further on the comment I wrote on the Youtube clip of the Motocoaster POV, I reckon we should be calling for Stephen Gregg's resignation. As the CEO of Dreamworld he is responsible for this ride and as far as I'm concerned the buck stops with him. With so much money at their disposal there is no excuse that they didn't create a truly fun and successful coaster. $10 million dollars should at least buy a damn fun ride. I can't help but feel Mr Gregg has indulged his own personal interest in sport and motor racing to the detriment of the park and its guests. I'd like to see someone take over the park who knows how to oversee and implement a real theme park attraction and get over this idea of trying to create "new experiences never before seen in Australia"... particularly when those experiences are well below standard
Honestly, I wish you all the best with that. I can just read the letter MLE will send Mr Gregg when they give him the sack: :lol: Dear Mr Gregg, At the request of one GoGoBoy of the RC Forums, it has come to our attention that you are no longer serving our company in a positive fashion. While we are very pleased with the continued efforts you have made to increase general profits and build a foundation for the future of our company, it is simply not exceptable to lash out on a coaster themed to Motorbike racing for the sheer pleasure of indulging yourself. It is also unnacceptable to continually install attractions that are 'fun' and good for the whole family rather than 'thrilling' as this has alienated our product from the Roller Coaster fanatic community. Sadly, this will no longer stand, and it is with great regret that we inform you that your duration with us has come to an end. Kind regards, MLE. EDIT: Never mind :D Edited by Churros

Well, let's not get too carried away. There is no guarantee that Vekoma would have produced a better product.
But just going by the quality of previous installations we could have gotten something better. Heck they could have probably just plopped down the standard 600m model. And with GoGoBoys comments, I can understand why he personally would be more annoyed by this than most R-C members, Ill leave it to him if he wants to say why. Though I'd lay some of the blame on Bob Tan since he is the special projects manager. There is an important point people seem to be missing the implications of. This is a kids ride, but the park is obviously trying to pass it off as a thrill ride. Essentially what they have done is lower the internal benchmark in terms of what a thrill ride should be. What are the odds of getting a proper thrill ride in the future if this is what they are passing off? Edited by Gazza

^Indeed! 10 mil is about all DW has spent on major new attractions every three years or so. I will be quite suprised if we see something great open at DW in time for xmas 08. Mind you, they have consistantly hit below expectations in recent years so why are we so suprised now? - Surfrider. Not even worth counting - Wiggles world. Cute and great for kids. Really little kids - The Claw. Great Flat ride but not the biggest or best Giro swing around - Psyclone.. Hmm no comment Motocoaster is underwhelming because it has been promoted as a thrill ride. It's a nice little compliment to the Park and that's about it. Let's hope for something MUCH better soon!

But that's where you're wrong Churros. Did you look at the Vekoma motorcycle coaster in the video link I posted? If not here it is again -
Then read the comments underneath it and you can see it has received overwhelmingly positive reviews. Dreamworld's Motocoaster on the other hand misses the mark well and truly judging by the reviews so far

The best way to fix it is to melt it down into paper clips. I think all they need to do is add extra launch wheels after corners to keep the speed up. Increasing speed after corners would simulate moto-racing much better anyway. Increasing the launch speed would not work if the track was not designed for it but I can’t see why adding extra launch points around the track to keep the speed closer to 70km would not work.

Edited by skeetafly

^^ That's not a bad idea. I'm just thinking its ride time would be 'very' short if its speed was around 70K's around the whole track. Though a short mildly-thrilling ride would be better then a long non-thrilling ride. But I cannot see Dreamworld adding the extra launchs now. I mean they're already calling it a thrill ride, so why spend more money. That can't start saying "Motocoaster NOW MORE SCARY".

But that's where you're wrong Churros. Did you look at the Vekoma motorcycle coaster in the video link I posted? If not here it is again -
Then read the comments underneath it and you can see it has received overwhelmingly positive reviews. Dreamworld's Motocoaster on the other hand misses the mark well and truly judging by the reviews so far
Yeah I know, but there is no guarantee that Vekoma would have built something that received as much positive feedback as this one.

Moto-Coaster now less crap then before. I wonder if the ACCC could prove Dreamworld was false advertising the ride and how would they go about proving it.
You'd need to find a suitable definition for "thrill". You may not be able to get them for false advertising, but misleading advertising is much easier to prove.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, but check out the DA in the WWW Phase 3 Thread. If you look at the full plan of DW that is in it, you can see that the layout of the standard Vekoma motorbike model is actually drawn in the place of where they ended up building the ride we see today. It would have taken up more room though, with the launch cutting over the waters edge, with the station being where the paddle steamer dock is. I would have prefered this option...it would have had speed and airtime at least.

I was reading some news about this new coaster going in at Knotts Berry Farm called Pony Express. The layout looks alot more fun than the motocoaster and is from Vekoma. even though its shorter, still more turns and speed. http://www.screamscape.com/html/knott_s_berry_farm.htm

Just an update, but check out the DA in the WWW Phase 3 Thread. If you look at the full plan of DW that is in it, you can see that the layout of the standard Vekoma motorbike model is actually drawn in the place of where they ended up building the ride we see today. I would have prefered this option...it would have had speed and airtime at least.
Oh why oh why didn't they go with Vekoma? (Never thought I'd hear myself say that). That particular layout is pretty much the same as Velocity at Flamingoland and it has been proven to be very effective and lots of fun. This makes me feel like crying. The layout also looks like it would have used the space next to the lake so much better. It would have had that awesome long launch with lots of fun airtime bunny hills on the return stretch. Give me a better layout over 'life size' replica bikes any day