Pain on Mick Doohan

sonic123488

On Monday the 8th of October, I had a trip to Dreamworld and thought I'd try the Mick Doohan Motocoaster. So I waited in the line for an hour to get on the ride. When I finally got on, I followed all directions for putting the harness on. But as soon as it launched the harness clicked in to place over my knees, those who have ridden it will understand what I mean, the harness cut off circulation to my calfs and feet I was screaming out in pain but everyone else probably thought I was screaming for the thrill of the ride. I ended up complaining but I don't think they'll take the complaint seriously, what do you guys think? :unsure:

We went to Dreamworld on Friday and went on this one for the first time, and none of us (my husband, sister and I) had anything good to say about it afterwards. My husband said it wasn't worth the half hour we had to wait in line for it (and this was at 4.45pm in the afternoon, we had to postpone since the line at around 12-1pm was over an hour's wait!), my sister said that her legs were so sore from being locked in that she felt like crying (she is a lanky 16 year old girl) and as a somewhat short 55kg person myself, I was locked in so tight that my crotch almost blended in with the seat :blink: Literally could not move at all and the pressure was horrible - I was just too uncomfortable and sore to really enjoy it at all. Furthermore, whilst waiting in line we could not work out why the attendants kept doing half loads when there was still approx 60 people waiting after park closing time, only to have them tell us that half of the bikes were malfunctioning :/ Also as the above poster said, they were asking both tall and "big" people to take off their shoes in order to help with comfortability. Whilst I think this ride was probably appealing in theory, it seems to be another story altogether when it comes to the actual thing... its going to need a lot of changes I believe in order for it to win more positive opinions, everybody I have spoken to who has been on this thing has disapproved it... it seems Dreamworld could have spent that money on something a lot better.

Edited by OceanGirl

The wait for the sidecars was only about 5-10 minutes when I was there. Probably gets longer but *shrugs* I have only been on the coaster on the opening day. Good to experience but there really isn't that much of a thrill. You feel a bit vulnerable in the first part of the ride as you're not so locked down. Consequently those with comfort issues on the bikes would probably prefer it and enjoy it in that sense. But doing that really gives even more of a family coaster feel & if I was a kid, I'd actually prefer to do Runaway Reptar than the sidecar which!) Quite boring really.

Nah. It'll always be pretty fun. I see the lines settling down anyway so the family focus to it won't be as much of a problem! Adding sidecars to each and every row is just going to make waiting time for those wanting the bike experience way longer & Mick Doohan's/MotoGP's connection to the ride more tenuous than it is now (from a speed perspective... I think the theming's great).

Edited by Tony Teulan

I was locked in so tight that my crotch almost blended in with the seat :blink: Literally could not move at all and the pressure was horrible
That's classic... how funny. Sorry to laugh at your pain but thanks for the detailed review. I just hope Dreamworld management are getting some of this negative feedback sent their way. I wonder if the CEO and Directors are pleased with this ride or if they realise its many faults. I think it's important for people to send in feedback, even if only via a quick email

^ I might add also try and keep a professional tone, don't rant and don't exaggerate, and explain how you were affected, rather than just bagging out the park/ride. And of course, if you can use snail mail that is a better option, but as GoGoBoy said if email is all you can use then it is better than nothing. Maybe before I visit the park to ride this I should stop by the post office and buy bubble wrap, then pack it down the legs of my pants :P

Edited by Gazza

I rode the "Doohan" last week. After reading the concerns here before going, I was a little worried about any pain experienced on the ride. I am 194 cm, about 110 kg. I did remove my shoes before riding as it looked like I would need all the leg room I could get. I slipped into the seat no problems and pulled down the restraint, but it wasnt till the back restraint clamped on that it started to get uncomfortable. I could feel my thighs starting to cramp and my toes were sore from being "point on" to the the bottom of the foot holds. Fortunately, the ride start was delayed (a seat restraint on another bike wouldnt lock in) and it gave me time to make a few adjustments to my poitioning. From then on it was an enjoyable ride, but I agree with other posters that they could fill up each train to move the line along abit quicker.

^Just on that, assuming there arent any problems with the train, how full are the trains going out? Do they make an effort like some other rides and call for single riders to fill any spaces. The ride already has a relativley low capacity, and each train only seats 16, so it would be a shame if trains weren't going out full most of the time.

^Just on that, assuming there arent any problems with the train, how full are the trains going out? Do they make an effort like some other rides and call for single riders to fill any spaces. The ride already has a relativley low capacity, and each train only seats 16, so it would be a shame if trains weren't going out full most of the time.
Both trains were leaving about 75% full. The day I was there they werent calling any single riders to fill holes.

it wasnt till the back restraint clamped on that it started to get uncomfortable.
Just a note on this one. The back restraint only comes as far as where your back is positioned. After you push the front of the bike down, sit slightly upright from the ride position and remain there until the back restraint stops. Don't let it push you forward. The back restraint is really only there to catch you if let go. As long as it's not too far back, you'll be fine. (If you stop it too far back, the ride op will reset it.)