Theme park food

dreamworld_rulz

When there are reports that Dreamworld's brand new roller coaster has two hour queues while only running one of the two trains available, it's pretty clear that the dollar is coming first. Per capita spend (revenue divided by attendance) is marginally lower at Movie World; Dreamworld have hovered around $60 for the past few years (in-line with Movie World), but they've managed to push it up to $64 this year. Not really surprising considering you're paying a good $15 for a very sub-par meal at Dreamworld these days (as one example).
So it's ok for MW to run 1 train when it's a 1 hour wait but it's not if DW do it? Also it's not $15 for a meal. it's $9.95 plus $1.50 if u upgrade. However if you have a MAP the large meal is $9.70. Edited by dreamworld_rulz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours is twice as long as 1 hour, and at least with that you know you are getting a better ride. And MW weren't running 1 train during the peak opening period when the ride is a novelty. If 1hr waits happen when you are up there next, you need to go to guest services and complain. PS, nobody said 1hr waits for SE were ok. I can see how the meal can get up to $15 though, want water instead of a soft drink? That's $1 more. Want tomato sauce? 50c there. Want a different meal, perhaps something healthier or better than a run of the mill fast food item? even more of a price premium. Still, the F&B prices at DW are a load of bollocks for the product standard you are getting. I mean at Pizza Hut $5.95 gets you a large pizza with the lot, at DW it gets you a crummy little "personal pizza". Soft drinks were around $3, pretty bad considering a box of post mix stuff (which does a couple of hundred serves from memory) is around $20

Edited by Gazza

2 hours is twice as long as 1 hour, and at least with that you know you are getting a better ride. And MW weren't running 1 train during the peak opening period when the ride is a novelty. I can see how the meal can get up to $15 though, want water instead of a soft drink? That's $1 more. Want tomato sauce? 50c there. Want a different meal, perhaps something healthier or better than a run of the mill fast food item? even more of a price premium. Still, the F&B prices at DW are a load of bollocks for the product standard you are getting. I mean at Pizza Hut $5.95 gets you a large pizza with the lot, at DW it gets you a crummy little "personal pizza". Soft drinks were around $3, pretty bad considering a box of post mix stuff (which does a couple of hundred serves from memory) is around $20
It's the same as MW though. You still have to pay the extra.

i agree like omg the food is bad and costs like $100000 i mean, its a themepark they should have EVERYTHING CHEAP they dont need to pay for staff expenses, new rides and maintencing fees =] for most peopel visitng a themepark is a one time chance in a few years, locals should be getting a discount i agree, but stop complaining on the forums and ring them upim sure they would listen (doubt it)
And MW isn't? It's a forum, A forum was designed to have a whinge otherwise it would be pointless.

But each department at the park should be drawing it's own income and paying its own way. The F&B department shouldn't be subsidising ride maintenance, that should be covered by ticket sales. I just dont see why a F&B outlet at a theme park is intrinsically different to one anywhere else in terms of how it runs.

they dont need to pay for staff expenses
But most restaurants can provide stuff at a reasonable rate, while meeting staff expenses.
e save up to $20 PER MEAL when we go to DW..that's an extra $20 we have in our pockets, unlike MW.
Woah, so your food bill was $133! But DW doesnt have any fancy restaurants. In any case you proved my point about food prices. Edited by Gazza

I agree that all theme parks are pricey, but Movie World's food also seemed a lot better quality then Dreamworld's and I wasn't left with a sick feeling in my gut. Also, I know maccas may be worse then theme park food, but I don't get the sick feeling after maccas that I had when I went to Dreamworld. I'd happlly pay a few bucks more for some GOOD food. (though I don't want the all-you-can-eat because a lot of food and rides don't mix)

Well I know if they installed maccas I wouldn't go near the stuff..I can't stand mcdonald's for all it's worth. It's horrible food and if you haven't eaten it in a whie then all you can taste is the fat fat fat fat of their fatty burgers. yuck. At least dreamworld's fish n chips taste better.

^I'd rate Maccas above theme park food, better value for starters, its actually freshly made for you rather than the stuff from warmers they serve up at the parks, plus the range is better (not just burgers), and I like the stuff anyway. Subway would be good, but one problem (just like theme park rides) comes down to the capacity. An example can be seen with the one out the front of Telstra dome in Melbourne. On game day the line is always out the door and the store is overwhelmed. By comparision the Nandos next door have adapted and have a separate counter normal stores dont have that operate more like a normal takeaway place rather than the fast casual type operation normal nandos are. You would need to look at this issue carefully (maybe some kind of 'double' subway) I'm actually for the idea ash.111 posted about having franchises in the parks. I think the margins would be higher given they would be getting their stock through a large centralized distro rather than the smaller suppliers they would probably deal with, and the stock they would be getting would be cheaper given the head office of the respective franchises takes care of all the wheeling and dealing for them. Not to mention all the brand recognition and leverage from the promotions (I mean if you were walking with a kid past snack shack in ocean parade it would draw little response, but if it were a maccas pester power would immediately kick in) Every park I went to in the US had some sort of tie in with major food chains, so clearly the strategy has some merit. Even the royal shows here often have representation from fast food chains. If we aren't careful, well have a 4th topic split about fast food restaurants in general.

Edited by Gazza

Well, I guess we need to agree-to-disagree on the Maccas idea. What about a subway or even a Subway style place owned by Dreamworld with FRESH food and prices that aren't through the roof. Though I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for some fresh food.
But Subway is only good if you don't have the mayonnaise, dressing and Soft drink. That includes diet drinks.

Just about every theme park out there is guilty of overcharging for food. However, I have to say that in my experience Dreamworld's fast food is the most low-grade excuse I've ever had at a park. I have no problems with playing the theme park game and paying twice what I would at any other fast food restaurant, but only if it's of a decent quality. It costs the same at Movie World, but at least they've made an effort to come up with a decent quality menu and make the proportions at least roughly in-line with the ridiculous amounts you have to pay. If I had to choose between a meal from Dreamworld with a discount or full-priced at Movie World, I'd choose Movie World every time. My preference is always to eat at a sitdown restaurant however.

Though I don't want to get into a debate about fast food, I just want to say that you can't fat count every day, and I'd much rather have some fat that's in fresh rolls, rather then Deep fried stuff. Hey, Subway is MUCH better then the deep fried chips and fish and Dreamworld. And those Chicken drumsticks...ew The food at Dreamworld is, IMO, is not much better then the EKKA's food.

^I'd rate Maccas above theme park food, better value for starters, its actually freshly made for you rather than the stuff from warmers they serve up at the parks, plus the range is better (not just burgers), and I like the stuff anyway.
Going to have say there your wrong Gazza, maccas infact is not fresh, the food is not prepared the day they are opened, and the only way there burgers are fresh is if the restaurant has the "My Order Now" system. Most of there salads are recycled for the next day... annnd maccas has poor costumer service :)

It comes down to your preferences. MW sell those same "ick" drumsticks too (and both are as bad as each other imo). It's not about fat counting. You go say, 3 month without Mcdonald's and THEN have say a cheeseburger or a big mac...ICK! be about the same fat as those drumsticks I reckon. Subways rolls might be fresh but their ingredients aren't always fresh. The employees don't always follow FH&S guidelines (last time I had subway a worker wiped her forehead with her wrist and had a band-aid on (and it was normal coloured. in the hospitality industry you need to wear brightly coloured ones in case they come off) and she continued to make this guys roll....yuck. Also with Maccas, when they get an order for a burger they stick it in the microwave (the pattie)...the only thing thats made fresh is the nuggets seeing as they make those according to how many are ordered.

Edited by lisalila

If that happens, I ask them to wash their hands, put on a fresh pair of gloves and start again. If they don't, I walk away. Back on topic: I think there's always going to be mixed feelings about this, but, Dreamworld's food is far from good in my eyes and something needs to change. Hey...I didn't see one fresh fruit store at Dreamworld? Don't they sell them like Movie World?

Going to have say there your wrong Gazza, maccas infact is not fresh, the food is not prepared the day they are opened, and the only way there burgers are fresh is if the restaurant has the "My Order Now" system. Most of there salads are recycled for the next day... annnd maccas has poor costumer service
Its called "Made For You", not "My order now". Pretty much all stores are using the made for you system now (Some of you may have noticed that burgers now come in a box rather than a wrapper, that was all part of the change to the new system) As for salads, well in my experience its usually the people doing close that steal them at the end of the night. In any case they can only be held for 8 hours. Poor customer service, yeah Ive had it, but NO company is immune to bad service IMO.
Also with Maccas, when they get an order for a burger they stick it in the microwave (the pattie)...the only thing thats made fresh is the nuggets seeing as they make those according to how many are ordered.
WTF? The stuff that is microwaved is hotcakes, tandoori chicken, thai chicken portions, pasta zoo and lean beef burger patties (they used to be done on the grill, but considering they only sell maybe 15 or so a day they switched to precooked ones, plus grill space was an issue) The normal burger patties (4:1 in Quarters, Double Quarters, McOz etc and 10:1 Cheesburgers, Big Macs, Double Beef'n'Bacon etc) are cooked on the Grill, not microwaved. Nuggets are cooked in a fryer vat, but they are batch cooked by the bag/ half bag, not cooked up in individual serves of 3,6,10,20 etc.
Hey...I didn't see one fresh fruit store at Dreamworld? Don't they sell them like Movie World?
Try Yummy Yummy in wiggles world. White Water World had fresh fruit at the main food outlet. Though it just seems easier to toss an apple in your backpack. Edited by Gazza

If I were to buy take away food in Brisbane city for lunch, and I didn't shop at a McDonalds or Subway etc, I would easily spend up to $10 or so. The most I've paid for a meal at Movieworld was about $13, and that was with the large upgrade and tomato sauce. And if you really are so disturbed my theme park food, I suggest you get a pass-out stamp and walk across the highway to the McDonalds or service station restaurant (both Movieworld and Dreamworld have these opposite)

Its called "Made For You", not "My order now". Pretty much all stores are using the made for you system now (Some of you may have noticed that burgers now come in a box rather than a wrapper, that was all part of the change to the new system)
The maccas out here does that now too, and in peak period has someone with a PDA pre-ordering your meal so it is ready when you get to the counter. I also agree that Maccas food is better than some of the park food and I rate it higher. Or if you want healthy or different from what is offered why not just pack some rolls or something and take with you into the park. You will more than likely be hiring a locker anyway so storing it somewhere whilst on the rides won't be a problem.

If I were to buy take away food in Brisbane city for lunch, and I didn't shop at a McDonalds or Subway etc, I would easily spend up to $10 or so. The most I've paid for a meal at Movieworld was about $13, and that was with the large upgrade and tomato sauce.
I agree. I'll frequently pay $10 or $12 for lunch in town. I rarely get fast food because I'd rather pay a bit more for something that tastes good. Very basic marketing priciple. You create the illusion of value for money to the customer and it becomes very much real value in their eyes. It's the same way a five star hotel can charge 3 times as much as a three star for essentially the same product by adding in some fancier fixtures and a few smiles. Movie World gets it. Their food is overpriced, but they create value in it by making it taste good (better than any fast food chains), and making the proportions larger. Dreamworld simply overcharge without creating any value in it. Every burger I've ever had at Dreamworld has been terrible, their chips are small and their drinks are tiny and loaded with ice. They don't respect the customer enough to forgoe 5 or 10 cents of their huge markup on meals to make them reasonable value with a better quality burger, some more chips and a bigger drink. A nameless WVTP employee once told me that when a customer ordered a hotdog from them they'd load them with heaps of cheese etc. because even if the customer turned around five seconds later and scraped half of it into the bin, at least they feel like they're getting value for money. That to me is the best philosophy out there. That extra cheese costs what, 5c? Yet at the same time, last time I was eating at Dreamworld my thoughts were along the lines of "$13 for this?!?".
And if you really are so disturbed my theme park food, I suggest you get a pass-out stamp and walk across the highway to the McDonalds or service station restaurant (both Movieworld and Dreamworld have these opposite)
Well one thing is for sure; I'd never buy fast food at Dreamworld.

Going to have say there your wrong Gazza, maccas infact is not fresh, the food is not prepared the day they are opened, and the only way there burgers are fresh is if the restaurant has the "My Order Now" system. Most of there salads are recycled for the next day... annnd maccas has poor costumer service :)
I'm sorry guys but I've gotta side with Gazza on this one. Most McDonald's are now "made for you" for the simple reason that it cuts down on waste, which means more profits. A lot of people used to go to McDonalds and order the burger without something, like lettuce, or a pickle, to ensure they get it fresh. Mcdonald's learned, when they did their deli choices that they can get away with making you wait a minute or two while waiting for fresh food - and so they expanded their options to include the burgers too. Anything deep fried is pre-prepared, and kept in warmers - McChicken Patties, Nuggets etc. Bacon, Beef Patties, grilled onion etc, is all made as it is ordered. The new grills McDonalds uses cooks the food on both sides at once (well when I say new they've been around for years now), and only takes a minute or two. Anyone heard the little sirens in the background? that tells the grill a new order is in - they check it, chuck the meat on the grill, and while thats cooking (because it opens when it has finished) they build the burger bun and salads - it's already in the box, just take the meat, put it on and close the box - presto. In regards to salads, go and order one - and look on the bottom of the container - you will see a time written there, not a date. Salads are made fresh every day.
Subways rolls might be fresh but their ingredients aren't always fresh. The employees don't always follow FH&S guidelines (last time I had subway a worker wiped her forehead with her wrist and had a band-aid on (and it was normal coloured. in the hospitality industry you need to wear brightly coloured ones in case they come off) and she continued to make this guys roll....yuck. Also with Maccas, when they get an order for a burger they stick it in the microwave (the pattie)...the only thing thats made fresh is the nuggets seeing as they make those according to how many are ordered.
Lisa, your comments about the nuggets demonstrate that you are basing all of your thoughts and comments on McDonalds around an assumption, and one that is incorrect at that. I have never "worked" at a McDonalds, but years back when I was on radio, I did my turn on the grill for McHappy Day. I realise McDonalds is not the healthiest thing around, but considering when you're travelling, or out for the day without a plan for lunch, it is fast becoming the healthiest thing on the roadside \ in the foodcourt. In regards to Subway, they do prepare their ingredients daily, but yes, sometimes they don't use as much as they expect, however, the ingredients are kept in a refrigerated environment, and kept in cold storage overnight. This is better than most "healthy" sandwich shops that you would most likely purchase from in your local foodcourt instead of going to maccas. Some fast food places do insist that you wear a brightly coloured bandaid. This is mostly your big chains - again like McDonalds or KFC. Small individually franchised stores like subway don't have the policy because they're not as afraid of bad publicity if you found a bandaid in your food. Believe me I can definitely see the headline "Bandaid in BigMac" but maybe not "bandaid in Footlong Sweet Teriyaki on Honey Wheat with all the salads, hold the jalapenos" I've gotta call you on your statement about "hospitality industry" and the bright coloured bandaid. I used to run a catering company. One of my chefs used to work in the finest restaurants in sydney, including some of the big hotels. He detested the bright coloured bandaids because it stood out and made his clients notice it. He preferred a skin coloured bandaid. I recall a TV show about Jamie Oliver where a similar incident happened and one of his kitchen staff came to work with a blue bandaid on and he sacked them on the spot. Big Food Chains, with a lot of exposure to the media are ones who would wear bright bandaids - especially those employing teens. They may not be able to take care to ensure the bandaid doesnt come off, but if it does come off, because it's blue they'll see it right? Nevermind the thought that if it came off, most teen kitchen staff are going to pick out the bandaid and send the rest of the food on its way to the counter. You will never find a bandaid in your food at a place that uses bright colours, because the kids will pick it out first. Back on topic as far as theme park food, I have to agree with Richard and others on this one as far as MW over DW. Typically a trip to movie world entails stopping off at the place on the corner near the bank (can't remember the name, but it does sandiwches and rolls and stuff). We usually have the same thing every time we go and for a group of 4 we probably spend between $35 and $50. When we go to Dreamworld, we try to take our own food. If we can't for whatever reason, then we try to just eat a little, like fries, or a hot dog, until we leave and stop off at a roadhouse on our way home. The last time we had a proper meal at dreamworld, for four people, we spent about $65. The portions were small (like 4 nuggets or something and then loaded up with chips), they tasted like they had been cooked hours ago, and just sat in a warmer, because the skins were hardened, and the fries were soggy, and tasted like they'd been double cooked. For the prices they charge, I can't see why they can't have a "sauce station" where you just self serve your own sauces after you have collected your meal. Buying sauces and such in large bottles has got to be cheaper than the individual portion stuff.

Still, the F&B prices at DW are a load of bollocks for the product standard you are getting. I mean at Pizza Hut $5.95 gets you a large pizza with the lot, at DW it gets you a crummy little "personal pizza". Soft drinks were around $3, pretty bad considering a box of post mix stuff (which does a couple of hundred serves from memory) is around $20
Regardless of what industry you are in, one of the biggest money makers are beverages. I cannot tell you exactly what a box of post mix and a tin of gas costs (intellectual capital), but I can tell you that at places like Cinemas, a large coke will cost them something like 30c to product and they sell it for 5 bucks. That's where they make their biggest money. BTW - if you are talking food standard: $5.95 for a large pizza at Pizza Hut you are getting what you pay for :lol:
Yeah, When I went to Dreamworld I thought how silly the prices were. The food is also crappy deep-fried stuff too which doesn't taste good. I think they should do what the US parks do and open a Maccas or even better, Subway - though I cannot see them doing this.
They will never outsource the F&B because this along with Merchandise is where all the moolah comes from.
But each department at the park should be drawing it's own income and paying its own way. The F&B department shouldn't be subsidising ride maintenance, that should be covered by ticket sales. I just dont see why a F&B outlet at a theme park is intrinsically different to one anywhere else in terms of how it runs. But most restaurants can provide stuff at a reasonable rate, while meeting staff expenses.
Yeah, but remember that these places are businesses. They are designed to make profit not break even. As for staff expenses - labour is a huge cost. If you take your model for running a business such as Dreamworld, you would have the ticket sales increase to cover maintenance and the rest, yet have a reduction in food, beverage and merchandise? You're mad. If this model was taken then at least one of a few things would happen: A: Entrance ticket sales would go through the roof. B: Parks would look for even more ways to reduce running costs, to ensure that profits are made. C: Reduced capacity. D: Investors would be annoyed at the fact that the company was not producing effective results. C: You would get cheap food... hooray. I would personally rather pay slightly more for food and bev and have the choice of buying food than pay more at the gate. Remember, while on occasions you have to eat at the park, buying merchandise and the like is still a choice. As for Richard's comment earlier about Dreamworld focussing on the Dollar. As I said earlier, it is a business. And from where I stand this is one of their greatest strengths. While some elements of what they do tend to annoy us and potentially the rest of the population, I personally enjoy my time at both Dreamworld and WhiteWater World so they mustn't being doing too bad a job. EDIT: If you eat Maccas then you are an idiot anyway. McDonald's makes burgers fresh now... haha... that's the funniest thing you guys have ever said. There is no such thing as value at places like that. You will always be better off buying some mince, bread rolls and potatoes and making the stuff yourself. :lol: Edited by Churros