What's next?

sonic123488

What's next for Movieworld  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Thrill ride

• Roller Coaster (non-looping)
    • Roller-Coaster (looping)
    • Kids ride

Movie World recently added the new attractions to WB Kids! (formerly Looney Tunes Village) and the Intencity game arcade with Bumper cars which are fun. But the fact remains that one day they're going to have to put in a new thrill ride it has been a year since the Batwing but it's been almost two years since their last coaster, and if they're going to put in a new ride in the next 3 years should it be a Roller Coaster like lethal weapon(I'd love to see another looping coaster in Australia) or a Thrill Ride like the Batwing Spaceshot. What do you think?

Edited by sonic123488

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Ideally I'd want it to be a wooden coaster which by their very nature are non looping, but thinking realistically I'm just expecting another steel coaster if past precedent is anything to go by. Didn't we just have a similar topic to this though? here http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/in...?showtopic=3603

Edited by Gazza

Yeah mate I don't need that pointed out to me. The loop is now gone from the ride for whatever reason, and that was the only modern example of a looping wooden coaster. Out of the 165 wooden coasters in the world, only 1 (which is now zero) has a loop. As Homer Simpson would say: "I like those odds" And anyway, I would hope WVTP would have more sense than to buy a woodie from RCCA B)

After seeing a video on the Intamin website of their multi motion vehicles: http://www.ridetrade.com/rti/index.php?opt...9&Itemid=36 I have developed a love affair with these rides and am convinced that something like this would be perfect if it were themed to movie stunt driving. The ride could start off with a "training course" with things such as a slalom through cones where you tilt wildly from side to side, a rough section where you have to keep in control through gravel, and maybe a bit where you supposedly go up on two wheels from a ramp (so you would tilt right to one side) the ride would then progress, and you would then take part in filming of 'real' scenes with themed sets and special effects. Those vehicles can pull off some pretty cool tight turns and tilts, and they seem to have a fair bit of zip. Theming wise It wouldn't be too expensive, just have a big sound stage, and make the scenes look like sets, they could actually get away with having unthemed shed sections because its all part of the realism of being in a sound stage.

I'd love nothing more to see an attraction of that style here. My only issue is the fact that to work at all it'd need to be properly developed and appropriately budgeted to deliver an experience that lives up to the technology. It's not a ride concept that works with half-baked story and theming. Realistically our parks are looking at $15-20 million budgets tops. By comparison Indiana Jones at Disneyland was $USD100 million. Granted a good chunk of that would have been R&D costs given it was new technology, but I can't see any way that the realities of Australian theme park budgets would result in a ride that does the technology any justice. The last thing I want to see is a repeat of Superman Escape where a great physical experience is let down by theming and storyline that falls short.

^I dont think the problem with Superman is it's story, but rather the general lack of polish on the theming, and often a lack of foresight in what would be the best solution in many situations. Now, looking at an Australian installation It wouldn't necessarily be anywhere near $100 million. Another installation is Pharaohs Fury at Lotte world http://www.coasterforce.com/Pharoahs_Fury which cost closer to $60 million AUD, not bad considering the elaborate theming it has (and a track length of close to 1km). There are a number of other things to consider, Indiana jones can move a whopping 2500pph, but If it were an Australian park you could get away with a bit over a quarter of that capacity. The complex vehicles represent a big portion of the cost of the ride system so the less of them you need the better. Theming wise, It doesn't necessarily have to be the big elaborate temple themes you see at Disney, Leofoo and Lotte World. A cheaper theme can still be satisfying, I mean test track (Ignoring the queue theming) is pretty basic when you get down to it, just a whole lot of inexpensive road signs, cones and water barriers for the most part, with the whole show building kept fairly dark (which is an advantage in this case because people simply cant see blandness). The queue theming could be less elaborate too, I mean with Indiana jones it is just full of detail (too bad you rush through) and at the same time the whole queue is dug into the ground, you could get away with something less elaborate. Take scooby doo, great looking queue but probably not too expensive. The reason why I was leaning towards that stunt driving theme was basically for this reason, to reach the 'fully themed" state with this sort of theme would cost a lot less (and would probably be appealing to a lot of the revhead public that are drawn to motocoaster) I think it would be a given that the theming would be a bit of a step down from Disney and no better than what is currently on offer at MW though, if it were WWF or Scooby standard in terms of overall finish it would be fine by me. This is one attraction where the ride system is heavily responsible for the enjoyment. Even with Indiana jones there are simple painted back drops in some sections, but it more than makes up for it with some of the wild things that happen in these same sections. Another thing, WVTP have proven they can get good results whilst doing stuff far cheaper than the big boys, just look at stuff like Bermuda and its predecessor.

Well I was looking at S&S and they have this coaster that doesn't exactly loop but goes upside down and seems to have a small footprint here's a link:
Personally, I'm a bit over gimmicky coasters at the moment, I'd prefer to just stick with proven concepts you know are going to be fun. Edited by Gazza

If it's a family ride you want then what about this one http://www.rcdb.com/m/id1903.htm It may have a large footprint but Movieworld could or the designer could change the layout to a more compact layout and fit something with similar theming to the Wild West Falls area.

Edited by sonic123488

Unless it's a Top Thrill Dragster clone. 'You Beaut Ute Muster' :P Nah. In my dreams... but that would be cool. I think Movie World needs a new coaster, of a type not yet seen in Australia (or no longer here), even if it has a compact footprint... but unlike the Motocoaster, make it primarily a THRILL ride... pure and simply that's the best choice they could go with because that will help cement a superior position to Dreamworld.

Unless it's a Top Thrill Dragster clone. 'You Beaut Ute Muster' :P Nah. In my dreams... but that would be cool. I think Movie World needs a new coaster, of a type not yet seen in Australia (or no longer here), even if it has a compact footprint... but unlike the Motocoaster, make it primarily a THRILL ride... pure and simply that's the best choice they could go with because that will help cement a superior position to Dreamworld.
Well a flying coaster like Tomb Raider the ride at Canada's wonderland could be a start, given we don't have a flying coaster here in Australia Check it out http://www.rcdb.com/m/id2516.htm

Im pretty sure you don't. Previously the ride was known as Buzzsaw falls, originally it was an Premier Rides liquid coaster. In 2005 the ride was renovated, some of the original track was kept, though non of the water elements remained, it was converted to a launched coaster and an extensive twisted section was added at the start. The first 5 photos show the ride pre conversion, the rest post conversion.

Im pretty sure you don't.Previously the ride was known as Buzzsaw falls, originally it was an Premier Rides liquid coaster.In 2005 the ride was renovated, some of the original track was kept, though non of the water elements remained, it was converted to a launched coaster and an extensive twisted section was added at the start.The first 5 photos show the ride pre conversion, the rest post conversion.
OK OK, you win there you don't get wet anymore. But I still reckon a Zamperla Volarewould be a good option considering that it has two inversions and relatively small footprintand a cost of around $AUD 6 500 000 it could well be a realistic option
If there next ride is a coaster, all i ask is that it is longer than 30 seconds.
Also the Zamperla Volare lasts 1 minute 4 seconds Edited by sonic123488

Another thing, WVTP have proven they can get good results whilst doing stuff far cheaper than the big boys, just look at stuff like Bermuda and its predecessor.
That's absolutely right, but I think this is one situation where the ride technology is the big limiter. Looking at Pharoah's Fury, with a budget of $60 million you couldn't realistically expect that theming would account for any more than a few per cent of the total cost. I think with an absolutely basic incarnation, we couldn't expect such an attraction to cost any less than $30 million for the ride system. WVTP have proven time and time again that they can be incredibly creative with a given budget, but at the same time they're not performing miracles. In this case it's really coming down to a very complex and expensive ride system. That said, the stunt driving concept is one I'm really liking. The opportunity for near-misses with other ride vehicles and that sort of thing would create for a really interesting and relevant ride experience. The more I think about it, the more perfect I think it is. Start off with a pre-ride showing a handful of famous car stunts from Warner Bros. movies, and throw in a storyline about how this is an audition for new Warner Bros. stunt drivers and that they'll have to recreate these stunts. Then hit the ride and do a few of them and throw in a mishap for the big finale where something unexpected happens. The only problem again is budget, namely to get a ride system that would do the concept justice. As you pointed out theming wouldn't be expensive, but I'm not convinced this technology would be within the range of our parks. As far as capacity goes, I really think that there is no room in Australian parks for major attractions with capacity any less than 1,000pph. We simply don't have the breadth of attractions to justify anything less.

That's absolutely right, but I think this is one situation where the ride technology is the big limiter. Looking at Pharoah's Fury, with a budget of $60 million you couldn't realistically expect that theming would account for any more than a few per cent of the total cost. I think with an absolutely basic incarnation, we couldn't expect such an attraction to cost any less than $30 million for the ride system.WVTP have proven time and time again that they can be incredibly creative with a given budget, but at the same time they're not performing miracles. In this case it's really coming down to a very complex and expensive ride system.That said, the stunt driving concept is one I'm really liking. The opportunity for near-misses with other ride vehicles and that sort of thing would create for a really interesting and relevant ride experience. The more I think about it, the more perfect I think it is. Start off with a pre-ride showing a handful of famous car stunts from Warner Bros. movies, and throw in a storyline about how this is an audition for new Warner Bros. stunt drivers and that they'll have to recreate these stunts. Then hit the ride and do a few of them and throw in a mishap for the big finale where something unexpected happens.The only problem again is budget, namely to get a ride system that would do the concept justice. As you pointed out theming wouldn't be expensive, but I'm not convinced this technology would be within the range of our parks. As far as capacity goes, I really think that there is no room in Australian parks for major attractions with capacity any less than 1,000pph. We simply don't have the breadth of attractions to justify anything less.
How many times do I have to say, Zamperla Volare $AUD6 500 000 small footprint
I completely agree! I am so sick of all the new rides in our parks ending before they have begun. In particular I am thinking about Motocoaster and the slides at WhiteWater World
Zamperla again 1 minute and four seconds Edited by sonic123488