halloween at movieworld report

Rollercoaster13

Movieworld during halloween night - 30th october 5:45pm-10:00pm (yes the rides were still operating till 10 o.O) The fogs and the lights around movieworld were really awesome and huge spotlights shined on superman escape, anyway. After we got into the park we went straight to scooby-doo spooky coaster which had a 15minute wait already, after scooby-doo the lines were 2 hours for it again, so we didnt bother, and after finding out wild west falls was closed, we had to go to warner bros. kids and we went on a few rides there. THEN I BUILT UP ENOUGH COURAGE TO GO ON MY FIRST EVER BIG ROLLER COASTER- the superman escape, AT NIGHT TIME OMG OMG no. ok so i went on it with my friend but we were waiting 1 hour and a half for the queues regardless of the 2 trains operating and we were just freaking out so much then when we actually got on, the pre-show was soo cool and then the launch was just an awesome experience, i just remember going up and down the first big top hat in semi-darkness and it was the best experience of my life and i just want to go on it again and again. Anyway the entertainment was very well done and lthough it was kinda cheesy in some ways it built up the atmosphere. BTW my friend lost her 300 dollar phone at the front of superman escape and we couldn't find it, someone stole it so it ruined my night but anyway i hope you guys have fun when you go.

^Thanks for a report Pixelpushed! Just wondering, has MW gone all out or this event with stuff like scare zones and haunted houses. Something like the American Parks do. It would be good if MW started to do this because it doesn't really set up the atmosphere if it's just rides in the dark and a little bit of trick'or'treating. I'd really like to go to one of these events, except it's during school and I live in Melbourne, :P . And did anybody else go to the Halloween Event at Movieworld?? COASTERBOY8

I went last night. It definately was an improvement on last year again...which was awesome. They did have a "Fright Zone" area like they had last year in the Chinatown area. I didn't go in it because we ran out of time, but from what I could tell, they definately had built upon what it was like last year. They had lots of Scooby Doo props out front like the big Tiki Masks and things to make an entrance area. It looked really effective. I wish Wild West Falls had been open because it's such a good people guzzling attraction, it really would have assisted with crowd control...plus I think if they really wanted to improve the night, it would be the perfect attraction to overlay with a little Halloween ambience. But give it a few more years and I'm sure they'll do something to the effect! I still think it's awesome to have a park in Australia do this. It's a hell of a lot of fun. Mickey C

Nah to be it didn't seem as good. Went tonight with Churros & his friends. Right from the start, it was a shambles. The booking office screwed up my order and only had a single ticket for me. Fortunately my friend Adam was delayed in getting there so I could tell him not to bother coming. My order was actually for a family ticket so my other two friends missed out. Wild West Falls as said above is a great people-guzzler & it was annoying to have it closed. Lines seemed even longer this year and there just wasn't enough time to do much. Also, is it just me or were the shows on less times this year? Once or twice I think vs 3+ last year? I think the park should have opened an extra hour or two particularly since WWF wasn't operating - thus, surely no real issue with the neighbours would exist? Fright Zone looked really good from the entrance. A cannibal lady with a spear instructed us that if we don't touch the spooks, they wouldn't touch us. We filed under the Chinatown archway which was covered with Tikis, netting etc. Just as you go in, a lady popped her body out like a two-bit hooker in Hell... in such a way she seemed like an audio-animatronic. One of Churros' friends touched her thinking she wasn't real... on a boob. "DON'T TOUCH US AND WE WON'T TOUCH YOU!" she hissed. Elements in the alley included Leatherface without the chainsaw, amid hanging slabs of meat - he hopped from foot to foot in a sad attempt at a lurch... more Cavill Street past 10 than slaughterhouse redneck ghoul .... some random spectres popping across in front of you after a laser projection saying Exit...and that was basically it. A chicken door existed leading to Scooby Doo Spooky Castle but this was such a lame walkthrough that it was false advertising. Main Street was filled with the usual touches to set the "atmosfear" but it really was dreadful without the dread. Spritzers filled large areas of the midway in a very wet and cold mist and a few random creeps were about but not as many as last year & they weren't walking around Superman or other areas. The carnival games area just felt like a small corner of some rural showground, no horror theme (Aragog having been relocated to the alley near Roxy Theatre). Overall, extremely disappointing and instead of being at least a little better than last year, it was in my opinion not quite as good. Hopefully 2008 will bring some true innovation, more nights (for grander scope of theming) ... the Wild West Falls area open and used for a second fright zone / other entertainment (like maybe a horror band or something) and a Dreamworld event to compete with it. 6.5 / 10

This is more of a "what we did" report but here goes. We got in at that time where they had the fences up to stop us from going on the rides. Seeing as superman will obviously the most packed out (which it was... 2hours at least) they finally opened the gates end it turned into a bloody huge run, lots of trampling from what I saw at the front. We managed to get about 20th or 30th or so in line so we were happy with that. Once we got off, the line was already stretched out all the way back to the wires for superman, so that was out last time on it for the night. Anyways we headed over to lethal weapon expecting not to see much of a line seeing as everyone in the park was lining for superman lol, and we were right. About a 5-10min wait for lethal weapon, so we did that twice. They were running both the trains for LW which I have never seen before so I got to try out the red train finally, let me tell you, this train was so great - I hardly experienced any major head banging. I thought that it would be like that for the blue train too but I was wrong lol *headache*. Although the red train did have some harness problems. After LW we proceeded around and through main st. to check scooby doo out. It was into the outside queue which was just scary. So that was a no go. By the way, the misting and smoke effects in MW were SO F**KING AWESOME as my pathetic phone photo will show you. Around scooby doo there was a guy dressed up in the Saw costume and riding around on a tricycle. Definently the best costume I saw. We decided to do the scary walk through thing which turned out to be more silly than scary - it was just too short and the scary people weren't too scary at all, the ending hologram was pretty cool though. The line for that was quick so we ended up doing it a couple times. LW still didn't have a large line so we did that a third time (red train thank god). I think the walk through really did not help with the insane crowds but at least MW did something there. We went back over and rode Batwing which had a pretty huge line but thankfully we found someone we knew and got into at the front almost so we rode that which was short'n'sweet. That was the end of the thrill rides of the night. We ended up doing Shrek 4D and just repeatedly walking around to all the rides to see how the lines were. There were smoke machines/misters anywhere you looked and it shrouded most of the superman track, it was so cool. The spotlights looked great through smoke and mist too. We saw some good costumes.. and some retarded costumes (which I suppose suits Halloween). It was a bitch that WWF was closed I would have loved to have done that at night and also it would have gotten rid of the long line around LW etc (superman didn't have a hope in hell of having a good line). I wouldn't say it was a SUPER MEGA FUN night because of the lines and the short amount of time it was opened for (11pm would be great but MW is too scared to pay overtime lol). But I think we got more rides in than most other people did that night. One of the highlights for me was the 400 person run to get to the front of the superman line when it opened which was absolutely crazy, oh yeah and the rides :P . As Tony said, hopefully 2008 will be improved and they will take the flaws from this year and try to work them out as best they can. Photo of main street with absolute crappy quality sorry. http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/9946/p1101072000lb7.jpg 7/10

Edited by roxon101

We went back over and rode Batwing which had a pretty huge line but thankfully we found someone we knew and got into at the front almost so we rode that which was short'n'sweet.
Thats a bit unfair don't you think? Considering people who got there before you had to wait the time, it shouldn't have been any different with you... People like that peeve me off. Anyhow, its good to see different thoughts and idea's about the event, I would of love to have gone but unfortunately I live in NSW. So does anybody have any pictures, videos... anything?

Churros as Jonah from Summer Heights High -

I have one of Main Street, it's still uploading to YouTube so will put that in later. [EDIT: This video doesn't seem to want to upload. Grr. Oh well] The only other videos I shot was one of the Batwing and a really crap one of Superman Escape. Edited by Tony Teulan

The wires or cables that launch the train. Probably could have said it a bit clearer heh. Yeah mickey I suppose that was slack but if the people in the line were really annoyed by it they wouldn't had let us walk through them all I guess.

Edited by roxon101

Like I said they will be referred to as Cable by everyone - even Wiki and at other sources but within the industry they are Ropes.

I didn't find it interesting at all.Spose I wont take the time out of my life to write a report for you jerks again.
My post was not for the sole purpose of satisfying one person and I never expected that everyone would find this interesting but I posted knowing the majority of this community would be.No more reports from you, well they didn't interest me anyway but I wouldn't have gone out of my way to post that.

THEN I BUILT UP ENOUGH COURAGE TO GO ON MY FIRST EVER BIG ROLLER COASTER- the superman escape,
Hey Pixel! I know you were a bit disappointed when you didn't build up enough courage to go on SE the last time you were there - so I'm glad you got to go on it this time and enjoyed it. This is a message for everyone. It might LOOK scary, but once you go on it, you'll find that it's heaps of fun!

Just needed to make some points here to a few comments above. (1) Halloween is a Halloween Event at night and features some great characters, and 4 shows this year plus the fright zone, and people that payed for that entertainment went home happy. (thats why we read our park maps at the gates folks to know whats going on, you cant watch a show if you are in the superman line). (2) If you complain you waited to long for a ride then you dont understand the concept of special themed events if you payed $20 to just ride rides you would have been better just going on a day instead of this event. Thats why when I go to universal each year during Halloween I ride the Mummy coaster in the day as I know at night the line will get up to 2 hours at least, I guess its just common sense. (3) The crowds were big each night and park mangement should be congratulated for capping the event to a certain figure each night, I felt alot more comfortable then the big crowd I experienced in Orlando this year. (4) The fright zone was really good I actually enjoy it more then a couple of house I went through at Universal, yes its short (leathal weapon alley) but each year it will grow in size with new ideas as it gets bigger and bigger. The talent also looked great with Leatherface and his female victim and the chainsaw charging at the guest was great, there were actually a few guest running back to the entrance to get away which was great to watch. Freddy, Mike Myers and burns victim were great as well. Anyway the 3 nights were a huge succes with the general public and media and each year as October in Australia gets more and more halloween feel to it this event is just going to keep on expanding in more postive ways then ever.

Edited by Ian

Just needed to make some points here to a few comments above. (1) Halloween is a Halloween Event at night and features some great characters, and 4 shows this year plus the fright zone, and people that payed for that entertainment went home happy. (thats why we read our park maps at the gates folks to know whats going on, you cant watch a show if you are in the superman line). (2) If you complain you waited to long for a ride then you dont understand the concept of special themed events if you payed $20 to just ride rides you would have been better just going on a day instead of this event. Thats why when I go to universal each year during Halloween I ride the Mummy coaster in the day as I know at night the line will get up to 2 hours at least, I guess its just common sense. (3) The crowds were big each night and park mangement should be congratulated for capping the event to a certain figure each night, I felt alot more comfortable then the big crowd I experienced in Orlando this year. (4) The fright zone was really good I actually enjoy it more then a couple of house I went through at Universal, yes its short (leathal weapon alley) but each year it will grow in size with new ideas as it gets bigger and bigger. The talent also looked great with Leatherface and his female victim and the chainsaw charging at the guest was great, there were actually a few guest running back to the entrance to get away which was great to watch. Freddy, Mike Myers and burns victim were great as well. Anyway the 3 nights were a huge succes with the general public and media and each year as October in Australia gets more and more halloween feel to it this event is just going to keep on expanding in more postive ways then ever.
couldnt of said it better myself and i saw you at movieworld so many times :o

Hey everyone, I just got back from my trip to QLD (which was ingeniously timed for Halloween) and have some pics to share. I thought the night I went to (Tues 30th) was great - packed though, of course. Great atmosphere and costumes and the staff worked their asses off to make it a really efficient (fast change-overs and extra trains/cars running), night. In the 3 hours, I only managed to get onto 2 rides because of the sheer amount of people and wait times. In hindsight I really wish I'd made it to Superman Escape, as it's my favorite ride and I want to ride it in the dark. I thought Scooby Doo would have extra theming inside on the ride for Halloween so lined up for about an hour, but the ride was just the same as normal which was a shame. I'd read on this forum (I've been lurking around for a while and finally decided to join and post since Ozcoaster doesn't seem to be working for me) that Lethal Weapon was a different ride in the dark so it was my main priority to get on. I was in queue for about an hour and waited a bit extra to get the front seats (I thought I'd go the 'whole hog'). I was terrified - you really can't see a thing! Bu it was exhilarating. It IS a different ride in the dark, a much more horrifying one! I highly recommend it. The souvenir photo is also cool - a special Halloween Edition. I thought the 'Fright Zone' was cool - great costumes (a lot of effort involved!) and theming. Freddy Krueger looked awesome! Respect to the staff for taking it so seriously and not cracking up like I'm sure I would've done! Of course it doesn't compare to the Halloween Celebrations in American theme parks but it was extremely awesome for Movie World to put in so much effort and see how much of a success it was (cars banked up for miles!). I'm sure it will keep getting better every year, too. Well done!

post-2042-1194158186_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158207_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158246_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158259_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158281_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158292_thumb.jpg

post-2042-1194158305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amber Mustang

Just fyi and a little interestring fact. The correct term for those linear steel things that launch the train is "ropes". Wires and Cables refer to electrical units. But many people still call them Cables amongst other things and will continue to do so. Just an interesting note though.
I am currently studying engineering atm and well every text book we have looked in it says cable... when doing materials as well it was referred to as cables... OH WELL BACK ON TOPIC! What do you guys think next year will be like?

(2) If you complain you waited to long for a ride then you dont understand the concept of special themed events if you payed $20 to just ride rides you would have been better just going on a day instead of this event. Thats why when I go to universal each year during Halloween I ride the Mummy coaster in the day as I know at night the line will get up to 2 hours at least, I guess its just common sense.
Yeah but in all honesty the bulk of visitors Movieworld attracts to this sort of event are people who see 20 dollar entry as a far more affordable option than the 60 odd to get in for a normal day. And when you consider that a family pass (for four) was 70 bucks, that is an absolute deal that attracts a tonne of visitors. For those people they honestly couldn't care less about how well it was themed.