Will Luna Park Sydney Build a big attraction?

sonic123488

Will something bug ever be built.
Are you from NZ? I think the way the park is now will be how it stays for a while at least. The current owners seem to care more about diversification than the core fun park business, which is a shame. When they aren't even prepared to spend $1.2 mil to salvage a wonderful 19th century carousel that doesn't give a lot of confidence for the future. I hope that eventually it is bought again and somebody with vision operates it and returns some of the quality and charm these parks had.

Just on the Carousel, does anyone know if the switch-over happened? Everytime I have been to the park, well after it was supposed to happen, it hadn't happened, and they are also advertising the fact that they have the handcrafted ride still. Weather permitting, I will be heading up to LPS on Saturday, so I suppose we will find out if it happened or not.

Well, Luna Park Sydney is great and all but what's new? Will something big ever be built. Just wondering whether you guys have any Ideas on what happens next.
It'll never happen. Luna Park Sydney great? Are you serious? The artist Peter Kingston (or was it Martin Sharp?)summed it up perfectly in a recent article when he made a comment along the lines of "I feel sorry for the kids that run down the hill excited about going to the place... you can't call that place Luna Park anymore... it is a concrete jungle". The current owners are interested in stripping the park of its assets and gradually selling off parts of the land for massive amounts of money. Oh and function centres Edited by GoGoBoy

It'll never happen. Luna Park Sydney great? Are you serious? The artist Martin Kingston summed it up perfectly in a recent article when he made a comment along the lines of "I feel sorry for the kids that run down the hill excited about going to the place... you can't call that place Luna Park anymore... it is a concrete jungle". The current owners are interested in stripping the park of its assets and gradually selling off parts of the land for massive amounts of money. Oh and function centres
Look I understand your point, and it doesn't seem that great to you. But for the time being I'm Thirteen and it still seems like a bit of a nostalgic adventure going there. People would say thet I'm lucky enough to live close enough to have an annual pass and be able to go all year to Dreamworld and Movieworld. But Luna Park is a change for me from all the high thrills of Movieworld and Dreamworld. I was just wondering why they don't put in any thing new to become big like their Gold Coast couterparts. If they didn't then why did they bother with the Big Dipper that was opened recently and taken down only to be taken to Dreamworld and called the Cyclone.

I was just wondering why they don't put in any thing new to become big like their Gold Coast couterparts. If they didn't then why did they bother with the Big Dipper that was opened recently and taken down only to be taken to Dreamworld and called the Cyclone.
Perhaps reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_Park_Sydney could give you a better understanding of the park, where it was, where its going and why.

I was just wondering why they don't put in any thing new to become big like their Gold Coast couterparts. If they didn't then why did they bother with the Big Dipper that was opened recently and taken down only to be taken to Dreamworld and called the Cyclone.
Just as a quick response to the above question - The steel Big Dipper was installed in 1995 as part of the reopening back then. At this time the park was jointly owned by the State Government and Whittingslow Amusements. As the Luna Park Reserve Trust was heavily involved with the redevelopment, the emphasis was on running the place as a true fun park again. This is the reason they installed a large number of rides along with the new steel Big Dipper, in an attempt to bring the park back to the way it once was. Unfortunately this incarnation of the park did not survive due to low attendance figures partially brought about by the closure of the Big Dipper. Since 2004 when the park again reopened it has been owned by a developer - Multiplex. This is why they are not really interested in running a fun park. And yet with less rides than ever the park has been receiving much better attendance figures than it did when it reopened in 1995. This really frustrates me but I put it down mostly to the fact that Wonderland is no more

This really frustrates me but I put it down mostly to the fact that Wonderland is no more
The Wonderland incedent I believe to be similar to thet of Expo Park. The Park was great but every but thought it's so close we don't have to rush there. This therefore ran expo down. But I fear this could start to happen at Luna Park Sydney.

I have just come back from Luna Park Sydney, and I can report that they still have the classic carousel operating, with no sign of removal. So I think whatever they were going to do with a new carousel may have fallen through, or management re-thought the proposal.
And how was your day at Luna Park? Disappointing as usual? Was it very busy?

Well, it was alright. Busy, not really. Most of the guests there were for the Westpac staff Christmas day. It was nice to see that some work has been done to spruce up the place a bit more, but much more of an effort needs to be made (especially Maloney's Corner/ Tumble Bug area). I was actually surprised at how quiet it was though, if it wasn't for those from the Westpac staff Christmas Day, it would have been dead quiet.

The latest incarnation of LP is pretty weak, the tools who live on the cliff line above LP shut down the big dipper for noise reasons but I think it was more about Big Dipper blocking their view and reducing property values. I used to work at North Sydney when the big dipper was going up, so each day on the train I could see the progress, which was cool. Developers have been trying to get their hands on that piece of land for a long time and little by little they are. A Eurofighter or an exciting indoor coaster (can't complain about noise then) would be great but I don't think there is any chance of that happening.

^That's true, if they really had a desire to improve their offerings and have a full sized coaster it is entirely possible, LPS is not unique, these days a lot of parks are in tight spots, surrounded by urban areas with people living nearby, and manufacturers have responded to this. Sound barriers, scream shields, sand filled tracks and dampeners, silent ratchet lift chains etc are all examples of responses to this need. Personally, I don't see why anything other than the historical attractions in the current line-up need to stay, it's a prime waterfront location and an Australian icon, used carnival rides don't deserve a place in the park. Plan out a proper park with captivating attractions, and have an overriding Coney Island theme I say.

Edited by Gazza

• 4 weeks later...