Wet'n'Wild Still Operating?

easy-rider

We're in a drought, yet we have like 2 water parks
Well, one of them was there well before the drought, and the second one was probably in planning well before the water situation was desparate. They aren't going to close places that cost tens of millions to build, they would exhaust all other avenues before something so utterly drastic.
supwidat?
NomuchGanstaG! At the end of the day water parks are still going to only be a small total of water use (I mean the total volume of water in WnW would be far exceeded by the water in that swamp next to MW), but given their economic benefit I guess governments are willing to put up with them. I mean I think a water park would make more money and provide more jobs per litre used than a lot of other industries. I dont know what WnW are doing (aside from signs in toilets saying to save water), but WWW have reportedly invested in more efficient filtration systems etc, I guess in an effort to appease authorites and the public alike. A couple of side notes: -I think WVTP could collect a lot of rainwater off the roofs of the film studios and ride buildings at MW (and the roof of Outback Spectacular). The huge potential for this would help offset WnWs water use. -WnW and WWW cant be made guilty parties in all of this, they are established (Especially WnW) and it isn't fair to make them close down when Goverments have under invested in water infrastructure, contributing partly to the situation we are in, and are only now trying to play catch up at this late stage to try and make up for decades of underinvestment.

^Yeah, and we can thank Rudd for the water issues in Queensland. It was his idea to deny the improvements proposed some time ago. But yeah, WhiteWater World has gone to extreme lengths in the design process to reduce water wastage. I think that Scope Science episode people linked to some time ago detailed what they had put in place.

When I was on the Gold Coast in September, we caught up with some friends which came down from Brisbane. We asked them If they had water restrictions and they said that Brissy has only got them but the Gold Coast is exempt from them. This is because the Gold Coast is a major tourist destination, nah dah :P, and they need the water to make gardens look nice, fill up pools, themeparks and for a whole range of other things. Could you imagine rocking up at a resort and seeing dry, yellow grass and dead trees, or, the pool being half full!! I think anybody in their right mind wouldn't come back if they saw this. Especially if they paid lots of money for where they are staying. CoAsTeRbOy8

Edited by Coaster Boy 8

I disagree with this statement. many car dealers now do not wash the cars to keep them looking nice - only when they are sold. They display signage prominently around the yard which explains their reasons for not keeping the cars clean. Obviously they are cleaned when they first come on the lot, and touched up if there are bad marks like bird bombs etc, but general dirt and dust - not at all. I recall America went through a drought a while ago, and the most pristine of hotels were using alternate technology to maintain image - like spraying the grass a biodegradable green paint. There are also alternatives to using mains water to keep the grass and trees green. Pumping from bores, rivers or self-sustaining dams. I also feel that anybody who pays lots of money for a holiday would comprehend that the location is in a drought and feel better that the place they are staying at \ visiting is being responsible with their water usage during the drought period, rather than irresponsible and making the drought worse for the local community.

When I was on the Gold Coast in September, we caught up with some friends which came down from Brisbane. We asked them If they had water restrictions and they said that Brissy has only got them but the Gold Coast is exempt from them. This is because the Gold Coast is a major tourist destination, nah dah :P, and they need the water to make gardens look nice, fill up pools, themeparks and for a whole range of other things. Could you imagine rocking up at a resort and seeing dry, yellow grass and dead trees, or, the pool being half full!! I think anybody in their right mind wouldn't come back if they saw this. Especially if they paid lots of money for where they are staying. CoAsTeRbOy8
Gold Coast is getting hammered with water restrictions as bad as Brisbane. What you would find is that many of these reports, etc are using either rain water or spear pumps to keep their grounds looking clean, as well as gradually installing water saving devices in their rooms etc.

When I went up last year to the Morocan (don't how to spell it) it had waters savers on every tap, brochures telling us to please be considerate as the Gold Coast is near water restriction. There were also times in every shower, in the pool it also said please be considerate, don't not displace water. When sister went up two weeks ago heaps of these signs and similar things were all over the place. As for what you said AlexB, car yards still do wash there cars, but they use a dry wash, which is available from heaps of places, and talking to the Autobarn staff they said you can claim half the money back you spent on these through tax :) But I think only a certain brand they stock, prob. government issued or something.