Six Flags Magic Mountain

mjcave

Does anyone have any idea what the queues are like around mid-April at Six Flags Magic Mountain? We're going next year, staying in Anaheim, and I get the idea its a bit of a long haul up to Magic Mountain from there so we don't want to go if it means queueing for hours for the big rides - considering that we'll probably only have 7 hours in the park to begin with and we've got a 3yo and 10yo to think about, as well as satisfying our own lust for the biggest rides!

^Well, if that's the case then definitely get flash passes. You pay extra for them, but you go in a separate entrance and board the ride quicker. At the end of the day if it means getting to ride Tatsu and the others it would all be worth it. Deja Vu and Riddlers Revenge both have single rider entrances through the exit, so use them. X2 is opening some time around then, so you can bet that will have long queues (or maybe not if the improvements they are planning on X for this make the capacity decent) I was there during spring break and it wasn't that bad actually. They seemed to have picked up a bit on their previously horrendous operations so its not that bad. Thomas Town is opening there too in the near future, so the 3yo might like that. Id suggest getting up there before opening, and getting to X2 quickly, if its open go for it, if its not, just move on straight to the back of the park and hit those rides because they will be dead. Though, the park is open later I think, so try to stay later if your schedule permits, the 2 flume rides and the rapids become empty later on in the evening actually. PS, will your 10 year old go on the bigger coasters? I know some kids will, if they will it might be easier. Im not sure about what parent swap options there are (I know Universal does it) but if its available then use it, hopefully Six Flag's shift towards family friendly operations will see this introduced by next April, perhaps email the park to ask?

Edited by Gazza

Well, I just looked and SFGAdv offers it, so maybe for next season SFMM will offer it, but to quote a fan site:

Under this program, one parent may wait with your child(ren) at the exit of a height restricted ride. The other parent enters the regular queue line and waits in line. When the parent in line has ridden and exited, the parent who waited with the child may enter the ride through the exit and ride. A child of appropriate height may ride twice (once with each parent) if they so desire.
Edited by Gazza

What's parent swap?? We are actually going with family, both my brothers and my sisters families will be there too, and not all of them like the big coasters so we're probably ok for "babysitters". My 10yo went on the Tower of Terror at Dreamworld when he was 8 and won't set foot on a big ride since!!! I think my 3yo girl is more adventurous than my 10yo at the moment! But I'm pretty sure there will be plenty there to keep the "tamer" family members and younger ones happy. Those flash passes sound great, do we just buy them when we get to the park? With theme parks, my plan is always to arrive at opening time, or earlier and not to leave until closing time! However, we're flying in from Australia and will have to get a tour bus up to Magic Mountain, so that's why I think we're going to be limited to about 7 hours actually in the park. Bit of a bummer really, I'm fairly drooling over the big rides, there's none quite like them over here! Thanks heaps for the advice!

^In that case, I think you are set, It might be best for the thrill seekers to agree to just "cut and run" and move quickly on to X and then on to the other good rides. (By the way, if X is not open, go straight to Tatsu) At the park gate you can buy those flash passes, but its cheaper online, read about them here: http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/tickets/flashpass.aspx, always suss out the queue first before you go using one, if it seems like you are walking past a lot of empty sets of switch backs, and you end up close to the station stairs then that is probably a good sign. You cant really trust the wait time signs. Essentially you are paying $5 per queue skip, but I felt it was worth it given I knew I wouldn't be going there again for a loooong time. Me and my sister got everything we wanted to get done in about 10 hours...we wasted time on Deja Vu because we didn't know single rider existed, and we spent a while waiting at the bridge for X to open (since it wasn't open at park opening time). I mean I guess if you are short on time then skip the flume rides (no different to what we have here, and no better than Wild West Falls) and skip superman since it is just exactly the same as TOT. Aside from coasters, there is not a lot there, there are a couple of nice kids areas, but not a lot of in between stuff except for water rides.

I to am heading to six flags in mid april staying in LA. Coming back to Anahiem to do disneyland in May. But i am wondering how do you get to six flags from LA is there buses that go there.
Yeah man there sure is. Go to your reception at your accommodation and they can arrange a shuttle bus for you. It's what we did in '96, '03 (well when my sister went, I never got to when I did g'day USA) and when we go in January. Unfortunately X most likely won't be open for you. I called SFMM two weeks ago (not cheap) about the X and they told me a "soft" opening would occur at the time I was there. I read on another site that they were actually behind, last night I called them again... its true, they are very far behind in things, don't know why. Edited by mickey_079

Thanks heaps for all the hints and tips! After the initial disappointment of X probably not being open when we go, we're sort of hoping now that it won't be - in the hope that the locals will put off trips to Magic Mountain until it does open, thus the park maybe being a little quieter!! And anyway, there seem to be soooo many rollercoaster there that are way different to anything we've experienced here anyway, probably we won't even miss X. Will definitely get the flash passes before we go too, then no time wasted when we arrive. We kind of hoping the same for Knotts - there's apparently a new one opening there in spring, hopefully it will run overtime and not open in time for our trip, and maybe the park won't be quite so busy! Its Xcelerator I really want to try there, anyway, and supreme scream. Thanks again for all the tips ... can't wait to get there

I went to Magic Mountain in late June of this year which was right at the start of the US summer. We got there in the afternoon and stayed till late. It was awesome - practically no lines for anything. Best time to go because it had been a really hot day but when we got there it was starting to cool off and was a nice balmy night. I gotta tell you I highly recommend it in the arvos/evening as you seem to avoid any queues whatsoever. You'd be waiting for longer at Dreamworld. And to my surprise the park was open till around 11pm I think. I'm sorry to tell you though X was my favourite ride by far. You get the most incredible sensation on that coaster. In my opinion it was more fun than their newest coaster Tatsu