It SW really worth it?

stumpy6

This has probably been asked time and time again but I suppose each individuals circumstance is different. FOur of us are heading to Gold Coast in Feb08 and we have got 10 days there. My partner is an animal person and so we are going to get the Australia Zoo knocked out of the way on the first day. The rest of the theme parks are all on the agenda too, but Im just not too sure about whether SeaWorld is going to be worth the day and $$$. My partner and I are 23 and we are travelling with two 17 year olds. Obviously me and the two younger ones are keen on the DW and MW but just not sure whether SW is a park for all audiences. If three of us arent really animal people, is Sea World still quite a good experience?

In my view Sea World is the most balanced and highest quality theme park on the Gold Coast. If you're one of these people that must live and breath thrill rides while at a park or it's no good, then you mightn't enjoy it, but if you can appreciate the overall atmosphere and quality of a park, then you definitely shouldn't miss Sea World. I don't think you need to be an "animal person" as such to enjoy it. Surely anyone can enjoy 10-15 minutes watching polar bears play and that sort of thing, and even then there are still heaps of non-animal attractions and shows in the park. It's really nothing like zoos such as Australia Zoo where it's nothing but animals.

Yeah, its a great park, it's actually the one that takes the longest to get done, there is a whole lot to do. Your partner will undoubtedly love Polar Bear shores (and you probably would too anyway...someone would have to be pretty cold hearted not to immediately be taken away by them) , plus all the other exhibits are of a high standard too. The rides aren't intense, only "fun" but still worthwhile. SW eye is great for the views, corkscrew is better than cyclone IMO, the two water rides are fun..they always are, plus there is the small water park you could easily spend an hour or more in ('the plunge' is a cool slide). The place is big on shows, so they will fill up your day too. You might as well go for it, it's only a little bit more to get the superpass anyway, and its worth that amount extra at least. The funny thing is, I'm a big fan of rides, yet SW is the only GC park I have been too on every trip, there is something about it that keeps me coming back.

One of the best parks IMO. You can easily be there all day. The shows and animal attractions are great and the rides are fun, though not scary for thrill-seekers like me. I recommend it to everyone. When I went there, I was thinking like you. But after the day ended, I said, "Can we PLEASE go again soon." Great park. You'll enjoy it.

Despite the one-sided comments of the drastically uneducated, Sea World is a great park for virtually anyone. As Richard said, If you have to have non-stop thrills, forget about it. Sea World is great for the family because it does have the thrills, as well as shows, attractions, etc. While it may not have the variety of some of the other theme parks out there thrill wise, the thrills that it does have are virtual walk-ons. I have never been to SW and had to wait more than one cycle to ride corkscrew. I am a thrill Junkie, through and through, but the animal attractions at SW really do fill up the day. If you like the thrills, see if you can book in for one of the animal encounters. A shark snorkel isn't too expensive, takes an hour or two, and there isn't much short of a B&M that beats coming face to face with some of those sharks out there. In closing, my best suggestion is to ignore the narrow-minded :woodies suck: type posts made above.

Im not a thrillseeker, and i find seaworld pretty boring if youve already been once. The rides shows and attractions are just repeated every day, and the animals like the polar bears are most of the time non-active. I went at 1 o'clock in the afternnon and got bored 2 hours later. BUT dont get angry at me for this opinion because it is good for first-timers

^Yeah defintley, If you are a first timer than go for it, you'll have more fun going then not going, its not much extra on the cost of a 2 park pass to change to a 3 park pass, and there really is a wide variety, as Richo said very balanced, Its got a thrill ride, its got water rides, plenty of gentle things to take the view in on (Eye, monorail, chairlift) you can spend time in the exhibits (a lot of them have cool underwater viewing areas like an aquarium), you can see a good number of shows (and a 3D film) you can slide in the water park, its nowhere near being a pure zoo. And, lets face it mate, you probably should do what your partner wants to do if she wants to see animals at SW :)

I found SW really boring and didn't like it that much.
In closing, my best suggestion is to ignore the narrow-minded :woodies suck: type posts made above.
Look, can I say that AlexB raises a fair point, when somebody is asking for advice a curt answer that doesn't say why doesn't really help at all. Sure, you might find it boring, but why is it boring, its your reasoning that would help others make their desicion...If one person posted "I loved it" and the next person posted "It was boring" then how could they make a choice from that tiny amount of information that doesn't lead to a conclusion. What factors of the park didn't you like? Were the rides not fun? Were the exhibits of a low standard? Were the shows uninteresting? Was the park in poor repair and uncomfortable? Were the lines too long? Was the food bad? When you say you didn't like it, any one of these factors, or others could be your reasoning...Other people aren't mind readers. You really need to start putting some detail into your posts, sure you can swear and carry on when people criticize, but ultimately a lot of people seem to single you out so obviously they think you need to lift your game and getting abusive wont change their views, you are saying you are educated...well if you are then it shouldn't be hard for you to start posting better.
http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/foru...ost&p=42310']If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Edited by Gazza

can I say that AlexB raises a fair point
That is total crap. Alex is saying "That my opinion doesn't mean anything" I said that "I found it boring" Yes i should have been more specific but to say. "my best suggestion is to ignore the narrow-minded :woodies suck: type posts made above. Stumpy was asking for opinions/advice and i gave him one. If Alex doesn't like what i said then that's fine. But to say ignore someone isn't very nice. Yes your all going to jump on me for carrying on and swearing. But i found the last bit insulting.

But on a serious note, I agree with dreamworld_rulz. I found Sea World very boring. It's definately not a park for everyone, but so what if he didn't specify exactly why he doesnt like Sea World. He wasn't attacking anyone when he said it, he just stated that he found it boring. Try not to lose sleep over it.

When you say that he got burned, you have to specify why...Other people aren't mind readers.
It was self explanatory why he got burned B)
That is total crap. Alex is saying "That my opinion doesn't mean anything" I said that "I found it boring" Yes i should have been more specific but to say. "my best suggestion is to ignore the narrow-minded :woodies suck: type posts made above.
It's not crap. He never seemed to have a problem with your opinion, it was the type of post you made, notice he made specific reference to your "Woodies Suck, they are crap" post you made a little while back. Its the same thing here. No offence but people aren't going to take you seriosly if you write in that style and present your opinions that way. Again, its not your opinions, If you dont like SW that's fine by me, its the way you just blurt them out in a curt and crude manner. Think about it this way, say you are buying a new TV: One salesman says "Don't buy that, it's S**t" Another salesman says "I wouldn't recommend that model, it has poor performance in this area, lacks these features, and this brand generally has low build quality, and anyway this other model is better value for what you are after" Who would you listen to? Who sounds smarter? For me, definitely the second one. Can you see what I'm getting at here, people won't value what you are saying as much if you don't say it well.
But to say ignore someone isn't very nice. Yes your all going to jump on me for carrying on and swearing. But i found the last bit insulting.
That comment hit a bit close to home then?
but so what if he didn't specify exactly why he doesnt like Sea World. He wasn't attacking anyone when he said it,
Thanks for pointing out that he wasn't attacking anyone :rolleyes:
*SOMEONE* in the forum did this to me once, argued and threw a tantrum over my opinion not naming any names though ;D
That would be me. You are just sour I thought your ideas were crap / proved you wrong in cases. Harden up.

Why do so many people continue to defend the SW product? I'm willing to bet that I have visited the place more than most people on this board and whilst I can appreciate it's landscape, ambience & balance, I have to agree that in reality, it lacks the fondness that people want it to have. I think WVTP's have been riding the nostalgic wave of Seaworld for too long now. Maybe it's time for them to step the pace up - perhaps shut down John's old "ski show" (heaven forbid) and open the place up for the development opportunities that the Park deserves..

Edited by MickeyD

What does "fondness" mean exactly? In my view Sea World is the only park that really has consistently remained true to itself while also keeping things fresh. The park hasn't had to sell itself out completely to keep people coming like our other two Gold Coast parks have. The Dreamworld I grew up with is no longer there, Movie World is only really just now coming into itself, yet Sea World has continually grown (perhaps a bit slower than I'd have liked, but that's not relevant) as itself and continued to build on its 30+ year history. I agree that there is so much untapped potential with the park, but I'd disagree completely that it's a product that needs to be defended like there's anything really wrong with it as it currently is. I'd maintain without a shadow of doubt that it's the best value theme park on the Gold Coast and also the most overwhelmingly pleasant to be in. If you enjoy a theme park experience moreso than just going on rides then it's undeniably Australia's best park.

Taken from a Private Message:

Despite the one-sided comments of the drastically uneducated, Sea World is a great park for virtually anyone. As Richard said, If you have to have non-stop thrills, forget about it. Sea World is great for the family because it does have the thrills, as well as shows, attractions, etc. While it may not have the variety of some of the other theme parks out there thrill wise, the thrills that it does have are virtual walk-ons. I have never been to SW and had to wait more than one cycle to ride corkscrew. I am a thrill Junkie, through and through, but the animal attractions at SW really do fill up the day. If you like the thrills, see if you can book in for one of the animal encounters. A shark snorkel isn't too expensive, takes an hour or two, and there isn't much short of a B&M that beats coming face to face with some of those sharks out there. In closing, my best suggestion is to ignore the narrow-minded :woodies suck: type posts made above. Your a ****en tosser. Yes you hate my ****en guts. But you don't have to put in the bolded bit. I'm not uneducated. Just have a better view on life than you do. And just for the record this message has been saved, photographed and been screen saved so you can't edit it.
I wouldn't want to edit it. I meant it. I don't hate your guts. I am just getting the s***s that when you share an opinion, you don't state it as an opinion, you state it as pure fact. "In my opinion, woodies suck. Because they are old and rough, and they look messy" "woodies suck" Big difference.
You really need to start putting some detail into your posts, sure you can swear and carry on when people criticize, but ultimately a lot of people seem to single you out so obviously they think you need to lift your game and getting abusive wont change their views, you are saying you are educated...well if you are then it shouldn't be hard for you to start posting better. QUOTE(dreamworld_rulz http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/foru...st&p=42310) If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Look, if you start speaking properly, I have no issue. What I mean when I say speaking properly is that if you had of justified your comments in regards to sea world, or woodies, you would not receive the same kind of response from people as you did in saying what you said. Sure, people might still disagree with what you say, but the response would be less of "stupid, idiot, uneducated", and more of "i understand what you're saying dreamworld_rulz, but i really think that...." Obviously you have serious issues, and quite obviously, this site is not the only place that you experience them, because you react so violently to anyone that calls you on your behaviour and comments, its obvious its out of habit, and something you are well used to. I don't hold anything against you. I won't bear any grudge against you. What gazza said above is exactly the point I was trying to make. It was not what you said, but how you said it. Without justifying what you said, it does appear to be a very uneducated point of view that offers no insight into why you feel that way. And your comments about woodies were in the same line, which is why I pointed it out. We discovered in probing further on your opinions of woodies that your opinion was based on a small handfull of australian coasters which are not up to the current modern standard of wooden coasters around the world. Without knowing why you feel that way about sea world, how do we know what you take issue with at sea world? Is it because you prefer the adrenalin thrills of ToT and GD? Are the shows boring? Do you dislike marine animals? Is the most diverse park on the gold coast offering too much variety to suit every demographic and genre annoying to you because of all the different people who visit the park?

Back onto the topic in hand though, Sea World, if you haven't been before is worth a visit (if you have the time and budget). It's a great park with plenty to do. You probably wouldn't want to spend more than 1 day at the park, as you should get everything done. (I last went in the September Holidays in 2006, with the family, and got everything bar the Pirate Ship and the Waterski show done). It's a nice and relaxing park, without too much noise, and is perfect for the family. The one problem I do have with Sea World is the entry cost. I think 66 dollars they charge for entry is a little steep, but I ain't the one in charge. So in final, yes, if you can afford it, take the family to Sea World, you won't regret it.

It's not crap. He never seemed to have a problem with your opinion, it was the type of post you made, notice he made specific reference to your "Woodies Suck, they are crap" post you made a little while back. Its the same thing here. No offence but people aren't going to take you seriosly if you write in that style and present your opinions that way. Again, its not your opinions, If you dont like SW that's fine by me, its the way you just blurt them out in a curt and crude manner.
With all due respect Gazza, but who gave you the right to determine what 'other people' think. If the fellow wants to make the statement, he can make the statement. If you don't like it, then 'harden up' and get over it. If you agree, say you agree. It's not hard mate.
Think about it this way, say you are buying a new TV: One salesman says "Don't buy that, it's S**t" Another salesman says "I wouldn't recommend that model, it has poor performance in this area, lacks these features, and this brand generally has low build quality, and anyway this other model is better value for what you are after" Who would you listen to? Who sounds smarter? For me, definitely the second one. Can you see what I'm getting at here, people won't value what you are saying as much if you don't say it well.
I'd like to see a salesman say anything along those lines man. If that is what they generally thought about a product, why stock it? But if a fella in the street said to me that something was 's#!t', I'd probably ask him why afterwards, saves you filtering through all the garbage straight up. Ask em what you think, then ask them why. Some people (particularly males) have difficulty decompartmentalising the two components of a question like that.
That would be me. You are just sour I thought your ideas were crap / proved you wrong in cases. Harden up.
Of course it was you champ. I got your business card in the mail today:

gazzathegreat.jpg

Ok fair enough. I'll be more specific when i post from now on. The reason why i find SW boring. For a start I'm not really an animal person how ever i found the Polar Bears quite fun. Shark bay was pretty good as well. I'm into thrill rides and SW doesn't have that many. As for the shows they are not for me. Now onto Woodies. I find them not very thrilling and boring. They are rough as guts. Especially the one at LPM. I know I'm comparing the ones here in OZ but they are the only ones I've ridden. Hopefully this post is up to standards.

Ok nice post Churros lol. Can we stop bi-ching? I think its turning guests off from signing up. Anyway, as someone mentioned earlier, Seaworld is a really nice, relaxing and fun park. Every time I go up there I ALWAYS visit Seaworld no matter what. You have a bit there for everyone. Its especially great if your flying to the GC with a family, you know how it is, stressing out, worrying about the accommodation, when you get there the last thing on your mind is theme parks. I think seaworld is what gets ride of all the stress. I don't know what kind of person wouldn't find the very intelligent and friendly dolphins fun to watch, or the gorgeous polar bears. I did the shark swim last year and I found that VERY entertaining... but everyone watches you lol. Seaworld IMO is a MUST DO. You don't need to have a passion or a love for animals to enjoy your time spent there.

Seaworld is boring! For $66 bucks you can find something to do with your money. I'm not a big thrill ride freak but I just don't really care about the animals! Never enough for me to do at Seaworld. If you want to see Polar Bears and sharks - go to seaworld. It's a boring place with not enough to do in your day!

Far out! Thanks guys! All this scrapping just makes me want to go to Sea World myself so I can come back and join in on the argument! :lol: Its really just the younger two who arent too keen, but Im struggling to find enough activities to fill up the ten days that we are there so it might pay to make the visit - although Im scared that the day could be better spent on a second trip to DW or MW. Cheers .... continue the scrap!

On the point of value, now it totally depends on the time of year you go, but I've never once spent a day at Movie World where I hadn't ridden absolutely everything by about midday. A day at that park consists of reriding. I don't quite understand how Sea World could be considered bad value when it undoubtedly has far more rides/experiences/activities than Movie World or Dreamworld. Compared to parks overseas, I think our parks do lack value considering their size and what they cost to enter. I remember visting Knott's Berry Farm and paying around the AUD$40 mark a few years ago. There was a whole area closed due to construction and several other rides weren't operating because it was the off-season. The park wasn't too crowded yet it was a completely packed day with only a handful of rerides on a few things. Here a day at a theme park is about filling half the day reriding and yet it costs more to do it. Obviously it's an economies of scale situation. Getting back to the point, if you're not into animals fair enough, but that doesn't make the park any less good-value. You might feel in retrospect that your $66 would be better allocated elsewhere, but if you look at what is on offer in the park, there's no question it's the best value park on the Gold Coast. If you're there to enjoy everything on offer then Sea World has more than enough to do in a single day, which is more than you can say about the other parks. If you're looking at value in terms of $$, the best option is by far the Super Pass which gives 14 days unlimited access to all three parks (SW,MW,WnW). You're only paying an extra $35 for the added option of unlimited access and Sea World. Far better than paying the $15 for a second Day at Dreamworld, and a second day at Movie World will set you back $33 anyway and I wouldn't be sure you can get that option if you go with the 2-park Fun Pass (MW/WnW).

If you're looking at value in terms of $$, the best option is by far the Super Pass which gives 14 days unlimited access to all three parks (SW,MW,WnW). You're only paying an extra $35 for the added option of unlimited access and Sea World. Far better than paying the $15 for a second Day at Dreamworld, and a second day at Movie World will set you back $33 anyway and I wouldn't be sure you can get that option if you go with the 2-park Fun Pass (MW/WnW).
Yeah, definitely. You said you were there for 10 days, so it 's probably inevitable you will end up drifting back to parks on some days, I remember it happening to me, I was at DW on the last day but the pull of superman was just too great so I wanted to finish my trip on that, If you are planning on revisiting then you might as well go for it...WnW you might want to revisit too, I'm not sure when dive in movies are on for the dates you are there but just going back to WnW to see films at night is another good thing to do. As Richo said, its only $35 extra, and IMO the rides at SW alone are worth that at least, If there was a park that had a corkscrew coaster, water slides, a pirate ship, a ferris wheel, 2 flumes, a chairlift, a 3D movie and some rides for the kids I'd pay $35 to go there.
With all due respect Gazza, but who gave you the right to determine what 'other people' think.
Fair point, but go back to that infamous woodies thread and you can see evidence of the point I'm making, you can see people have a distaste for curt/unjustified posts.
I'd like to see a salesman say anything along those lines man. If that is what they generally thought about a product, why stock it? But if a fella in the street said to me that something was 's#!t', I'd probably ask him why afterwards, saves you filtering through all the garbage straight up.
You're splitting hairs on that one, you can see the gist of what Im saying. Salesman, expert, friend, whatever. "In the street", what you are saying is true, but on a forum you might as well be elaborate in the first place, saves the person asking in the first place from having to ask more questions....If they want the short answer, they can read the first line of the post, if they want to know why then they keep reading, simple. PS, when we were in the market for a new TV a salesman did warn us against LG...and the store did have them in stock.
Of course it was you champ. I got your business card in the mail today:
LOL i'll pay that...still I'd rather be a know it all than a know nothing ;) Edited by Gazza

I wholly agree with what Richard has said regarding Sea World, I think it is the better of the main 3 parks on the Gold Coast. Last year I was lucky enought to be granted free entry to all parks on the Gold Coast (Sea, Movie, Dream, WnW, PC) and after going to Sea World the very first day we went to Dreamworld then to Movie World and were meant to do PC and WnW but because we enjoyed Sea World so much we forfeited those to go back which was nice of them to allow us to change prior arrangements. We would be representative of the young family demographic. I think Sea World is a park not to be missed because of it's fantastic variety of animal exibits and shows with more than decent rides to mix it up a little. The location, layout and lack of imposing facades/seemingly confined spaces are second to neither of the other two parks.

I agree with Richard. The 3 park pass would be your best option. It gives you flexibility for the 10 days you're there. In regards to WnW dive in movies. It starts around Dec 20th and finishes on ANZAC day. During Christmas school holidays it's on every night. But outside those times it's every Saturday night.