2004 and Beyond?

Richard

Okay, last year was a big one, with Scooby-Doo opening. This year was a pretty empty year. They opened Matrix, which is pretty good (gallery additions coming within the next few weeks) but it's certainly nothing really to be singing and dancing about. What's it time for Movie World to do? I'm of the opinion that it's time for a real thrill ride. Scooby-Doo wasn't one, nor was it marketed as one. Wild Wild West was getting there. Lethal Weapon, added in 1995 is the only thing that resembles a truly intense thrill ride, and even it's not exactly great. Give some of our Swiss friends a call and give us something to be proud of! Theming is not a concern - there's plenty of Warner Bros. action movies coming out in the future. Placement is a concern. I think they've pretty well conjested the areas they've currently got to breaking point (and beyond at times of the day...). They really do need to put down the capital for a bit of an expansion - and there's a nice dead-end path over next to Wild West Falls which I'm guessing on their master plans has already been labeled as the next expansion point. We've all been talking about that loop around Maverick and Scooby Doo, coming in and connecting to the Lethal Weapon dead-end. You've got a whole nice grassy hill (scattered with junk) that's waiting for something big and fast.

Well, after seeing what I've seen over here, I'd love to see Movieworld build a swiss coaster like everyone else, but rather then building a hyper, I think they should go down the 'well themed' route. They are after all, a movie themed park, I think it would be a shame if they let themselves turn into Six Flags style thrill park. Besides all that, I've found that the best rides I've been on are the well themed ones. Nemesis, Oblivion, Big Thunder, all excellent. Cali. Screaming, despite being a really good coaster, it was nothing compared to the well themed rides. Scooby Doo proved that a ride doesn't have to be "The tallest or the fastest" to be a good ride. But if you can put in a major ride (B&M, Intamin or whatever) and theme it well, like has been done with Nemesis, then you've got a champion ride. Behind Scooby (and dare I say taking up some of the Mavarick building?)would be a nice place to put it, although they'd have to be careful not to let that make the park even more congested. Maybe they could have the entrance next to Lethal Weapon and a path way around the back to Wild West? Also, now that Movieworld Studios have a bit of history, I'd like to see the park re-start the studio tour, but perhaps with some kind of door on the trains to stop people getting out and wandering around the studios (which is apparently why they were canceled). Or instead of that, how about replacing Looney Tunes Musical Reveue with a wild west themed railway (yes, you heard me!) to take guests from the front of the park to around near the Wild West section? Biggest draw back with this is does create a bit of a block between the stuidos and the park, but who says that has to be a bad thing? After all, the park and the studios each has their own entrance, and it probably wouldn't be that hard to make it go through a tunnel at some point (or even for a substansial lenght) to allow access between the two. Just an idea anyway.

MW has spent a lot of time in recent years appealing to the family market (Looney Tunes additions, Scooby Doo, Batman 2, Road Runner Rollercoaster), so I really think it's time for another thrill ride of Lethal Weapon status. As for placing, personally, I really don't think two coasters should be placed too close together at a park like Movieworld (where theming and scenery are what they pride themselves on). Don't get me wrong, that area behind Scooby is just crying out for expansion, but I just don't think a coaster would look right there, unless it was set a bit of a distance back. For a new coaster (and let's face it that's what we would all love to see), I'd like to see it placed behind the Western burger stand area. (On the map - the walkway up past the side of the Matrix building). There's open land out there (with the exception of bush) and pretty much unlimited space...Plus, there's no real major attractions along the rear of the park.

I also agree that coasters should be spread out. I like the idea about going out behind/beside the matrix and another good idea that some one come up with here before was to join up the wild west area, round the back of the police academy show to the lonneytunes village, like continuing the circuit around the back. You could fit a nice big area back there and it would get rid of a few of the dead ends in the park. You all make good arguments for a new thrill ride :) Shaun

Movie World are great at theming individual rides and attractions, I'll give them that. When it comes to areas though, this is where Movie World really pales. I'd go so far as to say that absolutely no thought goes into how it affects the surrounding rides and attractions, when they are designing their rides. Scooby-Doo has fantastic theming, but to say it at all fits in or does the atmosphere of the park any good is a lie. However, I'll agree with you that rides should be spread out (or at least the entrances), but by no means for the reason of clashing of themes. They have some serious conjestion issues, and rides need to spread the crowds out, the exact oposite of what they currently do. One thing I hate about Movie World (and this is a true hate), is the fact that for one reason or another, when they designed the park, they went for the most narrow path width they could. It really infuriates me that when I want to get from A to B, I can't because there's a show or parade on that completely blocks movement in any direction. I can live with a design that creates horribly unevenly distributed crowds, but to make it impossible to get out of some of the traps is what gets me.