Stage 3 is go go go

New display name

^^ AVPX is made up of a few sections: three briefing rooms, tunnel and waiting area and the main area. The main game arena for AVPX is in a tent which was previously used for the Mummy, Nightmares, and the Dream Room (hired for events) on the Blue Lagoon site (see picture below). This tent could easily be moved back to the Blue Lagoon site (if they've packed it up and moved it across the park before they can do it again). The briefing rooms are located within the building that once housed the Vortex / Gravatron. These briefing rooms could be rebuilt in the food and merchandise stores at Blue Lagoon. The only reason why they didn't built it here in the first place is because it is so out of the way from the rest of the park. post-2117-1266834188_thumb.png

Do you think they planned to move the maintenance sheds as part of this expansion?
The maintenance sheds do not need to be moved at all. I've layered the plans over the top of the current satellite shot - the right one I have made the expansion semi-transparent. The expansion definitely will require the relocation (NOT REMOVAL) of AVPX. It will also require the demolition of the Vortex / Briefing room building and part of the old Thunderbolt station. post-2117-1266835876_thumb.pngpost-2117-1266835945_thumb.png
Another quick question....how long ago did they stop using the old Thunderbolt area for a car park.
The Thunderbolt area was used as a staff carpark. They stopped using it somewhere between when the Little Rippers (2007) were built and when Big Brother finished (2008). Correct me if I am wrong but in peak season I think staff now park by the old Big Brother house. post-2117-1266836244_thumb.png Hopefully the hour or two I have spent of Google Earth and Near Maps recently has helped.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow awesome post themeparkgc. You did a great job with those pics... especially the layering of the expansion over the satellite image. Really puts it all into perspective. It's nice to see we're starting to get some more quality posts on this site! Very interesting to hear that the AVPX building is really only a temporary type of structure (I did always think it looked kinda cheap and temporary from the pics I've seen) and was the former Nightmares tent. This means it surely could be moved. As I said earlier though I think they want it there as part of 'Adrenalin Alley'. I really dislike that whole concept and it makes the place feel more like a cheap amusement park or arcade rather than a decent theme park. Even if they do keep AVPX it looks to me like there are other options for the expansion without changing the plans too drastically. I noticed there is a bit of blank space directly next to AVPX. The proposed new slide tower could potentially be moved back to this area giving it some more run room for the slides. The slides would just need to be re-designed to fit the space again. They could also possibly have parts of the new slides going over the top of the roofs of some of those buildings. This could also help advertise WWW further to Dreamworld guests. And my last option would be to either eliminate the proposed activity pool or reduce it in size

I've probably missed something obvious, but where did you get those plans from? (direct link please if possible)
Here is the link: http://pdonline.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/maste...amp;key=1295966 The plans for the new slide are the two PDF's at the bottom of the page in THEME PARK - DREAMWORLD (WATER PARK PRECINCT). The phase 2 expansion plans are in EXTENSIONS TO THEME PARK (Look at the PDF's: part 3 and part 4).

Thanks for those overlays guys....a lot easier than switching between the two open windows...lol. Having looked at the above pictures, I find myself asking one more question about the park. What to do with the old water park area. Now I know I am heading off topic here, but if the park was to expand the Dreamworld main park, they have the perfect area to perhaps increase the size of Gold Rush Country? Need to start this in another topic. With the location of AVPX, the only thing it seems to be blocking is the splash pool of the tower, not the actual tower, so I can't see why they couldn't add at least one more ride to the tower at a later stage. And after checking the overlay again, I can see at least two more stage area's that the park could work with in the future to add more attractions to WWW. Will have to have a chat with themeparkgc to see if we can get some more overlays to show what I mean. At least we know it can be done, and as I should be renewing my families passes again soon, I should be able to send Richard some nice pictures if anything pops up, something I haven't done since Superman Escape was under construction.

Gut wrenching, heart pounding, teeth chattering. That’s the feeling you get when you step inside the launch chamber of WhiteWater World’s newest waterslide, The Wedgie. Cross your arms and peer over the spectators five storeys below. As the trap door triggers, you plummet down the translucent pipe and through a human sized half coil before smashing into the splash down pool below. There the classic Aussie Cossie braking system kicks in and you realise you’ve been “Wedgied by WhiteWater World”. post-1321-1267153465.jpg

Edited by skeetafly

• 1 month later...

I am slightly skeptical that this will occur, though it would be a fantastic achievement for the ever-growing park. The rides and attractions look great, although they may somehow end up 'over-lapping' Dreamworld's Ocean Parade. This would look fantastic, but water would drip onto gazing onlookers from the neighbouring theme park.

^ If everyone thought "who cares if it's winter, the sun is relatively warm and the water is heated, lets go to a water park" then I'm sure we'd have a different case on our hands. When I was at WWW last August rides on the same tower had only one staff member operating them in winter (eg BRO and RIP operator the same dashing between rides when required). It wouldn't be sustainable for a park to have a small number of guests and then employ more staff to man a lazy river that would only have a couple of people in it. WNW follow this plan so I don't see why the smaller WWW wouldn't.

I am slightly skeptical that this will occur, though it would be a fantastic achievement for the ever-growing park. The rides and attractions look great, although they may somehow end up 'over-lapping' Dreamworld's Ocean Parade. This would look fantastic, but water would drip onto gazing onlookers from the neighbouring theme park.
How is it any different to theme parks that have conventional flume rides that cross over paths? For example the "Jet Stream" log flume at SFMM has a section where it zigags over the main path between Tatsu and Deja Vu, and there are certain parts where water slops out when the boats pass overhead. Heck, there are even dry theme parks rides designed to soak unwary guests passing by: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/US/Tampa/Bus...80-SheiKra.html

^ I doubt that they would operate it any differently. I went to WWW last winter about three times. Have a look at my photo to see how packed it is... :D1208-2117_Winter-Crowds-a_WWW%20Winter%20Crowds%20at%20WWW.JPG Photo Link
If only I had a picture, travelling to WWW just yesterday, arriving at roughly 11.15. The park was filled with so many people, the Wedgie may have been the latest addition yet guests were spread out very evenly. (Except for the Hydrocoaster, which is always packed) Neally all the deck chairs had been taken, and the only thing that I can say is that it was the complete OPPOSITE of your picture! Edited by lylefart

The differnece is that yesterday was the school holidays and its autumn not winter, guarentee you by Winter and during school, the majority of the time the place will be dead same with W'n'W bet it was packed over these holidays and not so packed over winter... its just what happens in our water parks in winter Queenslanders think its too cold, only people in there are from down south where its hot compared to their winter :P

Edited by Original

^ If everyone thought "who cares if it's winter, the sun is relatively warm and the water is heated, lets go to a water park" then I'm sure we'd have a different case on our hands.
I can understand the economics. Was simply saying I don't understand why they can get as dead as they do. Don't both water parks offer heated slides anyway?

Was simply saying I don't understand why they can get as dead as they do. Don't both water parks offer heated slides anyway?
This:
Queenslanders think its too cold, only people in there are from down south where its hot compared to their winter
It's not so much being in the water that is the problem, as you said, the water is heated...It's when you are out of the water that you freeze your tits off.

I'd just wrap a towel around me going between the slides. When queuing in the towers, I can put up with being a little cold sometimes if it means having a heap of re-rides & not being lucky to get one or two goes on each. Most of the time it's not going to be THAT bad. You can always wear a rashie or t-shirt to help stay warmer too. But back to the lazy river -- I don't mind if it's something that isn't run all year but if it's heated, then they could always rotate staff between other slides to compensate. Once you're in the water, you're used to the temperature anyway... and if you get cold floating on top, just get in the middle of the tube and kick yourself around...

Edited by Gold Coaster

Please build a lazy river WhiteWater World!! A really great themed one with waterfalls and waves. I think it would be the perfect addition to soak up some capacity over summer and to also give people something that takes a little more time rather than being over in 2 seconds

I'd just wrap a towel around me going between the slides. When queuing in the towers, I can put up with being a little cold sometimes if it means having a heap of re-rides & not being lucky to get one or two goes on each. Most of the time it's not going to be THAT bad. You can always wear a rashie or t-shirt to help stay warmer too.
Well, by all means, tell the rest of the Queensland populace that they should do these things and to visit when it's cold. But when a water park gets an attendance in the thousands in summer and sometimes less than 100 on a cold day then people are clearly voting with their feet in terms of what they are willing to put up with. Though I will say a rashie or t shirt would make you colder, not warmer. Remember they stay wet, so when the wind blows you'd get an evaporative cooling effect on your skin. Brrrr!

The differnece is that yesterday was the school holidays and its autumn not winter, guarentee you by Winter and during school, the majority of the time the place will be dead same with W'n'W bet it was packed over these holidays and not so packed over winter... its just what happens in our water parks in winter Queenslanders think its too cold, only people in there are from down south where its hot compared to their winter :P
You are correct, I am from Victoria, and moved up here about 4 years ago. I find it's a great time to go to WWW. The rides are neally empty, and it's fairly average temperature. Edited by lylefart

See yep, I'm a Queenslander and winter is way too cold for me, not going anywhere near those placesa! I love the water and it usually isn't to bad for things like wavepool as long as they warm... but rides that require only small amounts of water or a really high up on a windy day... no thanks! Also I've tried carrying a towel around, I reccomend many because after not to long that towel become pretty wet and useless, shirts are as what Gazza said horrible in winter. I love the Blackhole in winter always the warmest slide but that's not WWW things like Green Room and Tornado are always freezing they never warm up! Also do they put covers over the cave of waves... I know WnW wavepool gets it, but its pretty square, but the Cave of Waves isn't so square?!?! Gold Coaster the problem is, one: pools cost a lot to heat a mean turning up the heater one degree in an olympic adds alot to the power bill, and they have covers put on them at night to keep the heat in costing less power and making it warmer, putting covers over a lazy river would be a hard task plus its so spread out heating would cost alot and yes wouldn't have covers two: lazy rivers use a lot of staff being that there are a lot of blind corners, the amount of guests in park and the amount of staff taken to run them just doesn't add up for them I imagine guest to staff ratio just wouldn't see the point in having all those staff for like 3 or maybe people on it. Other rides don't take that many staff to run them compared to a lazy river. Anyway thats how see, if it is different or could be done different then... yea just tell me or something.

You could always substitute staff with surveillance - one operator to watch the entire course - and nobody can say thats a safety issue because they did it on snowy - where the waters were much more turbulent. As for insulating the pools to minimise heat loss - i've seen something somewhere where you chuck it in the water, and it spreads a non-toxic film across the surface of the water, and it acts like a pool blanket - that would be a feasibile option for a lazy river, would it not?