• Angry Beaver's Spooty Spin
    • Scream!
    • Thunder Dolphin
    • Top Thrill Dragster
    • X
    • Angry Beaver's Spooty Spin
    • Scream!
    • Thunder Dolphin
    • Top Thrill Dragster (Token Cedar Point Entry)
    • Zonga
    • Yes
    • No
    • What the **** is the Orphan Rocker?
    • Can't stand them.
    • Don't mind them.
    • Doesn't affect me since I have a Pop-up filter.
    • Excellent! Superb! I'll join!
    • It's good, but I don't think I'll join :(
    • It's the ****test forum ever created!
    • It's bloody awesome!
    • It's just slightly adjusted for bimbos to think they're cool
    • Just another microsoft product sunking in enough money to buy a third-world country!
    • Never
    • Placing Tower of Terror on top of Vintage Cars
    • Removing show from the paddlewheeler
    • Adding exotic animals (Tiger Island)
    • Removing Country Music Jamboree
    • Dreamworld adds 3 low capacity rides (Tower of Terror, Giant Drop & Cyclone)
    • Kenny Koala gets dissed in favor of Nick Characters
    • Big Brother comes to Dreamworld
    • Riverwalk Restaurant in middle of country themed area
    • Changing country fair to Ocean Parade
    • Cyclone Roller Coaster built over ex-carpark
    • Koala Country receives a facelift
    • Other (Please specify)
    • Yes
    • No
    • Giant Drop
    • Space Probe
    • yes
    • no
    • dont care

I am so sick of hearing this same old crap on this board. Okay yes I love coasters but I for one realise that they are not the end all be all of theme parks! You only have to look at SFMM and Knotts, Six Flags has a crap load more coasters but I'm sure anyone (WHOS ACTUALY BEEN THERE...a whole other issue) would agree that Knotts is by far the 'better' park. The whole reason Luna Park failed/Cyclone was because the residents (who are the arseholes, not the owners of the park) had a big winge over the noise. HELLO YOU MOVED IN BEHIND AN AMUSEMENT PARK!! Fact is it would just be stupid to put in another coaster only to rip it out again. So you have 2 options; Either you get over it already and just accept the park for what it is like everyone else and go anyway; OR you have your tanty and never visit the park again. Either way I think this forum would be much better for it if we could stop having all these stupid "Just put in a coaster" type threads. Sorry to get on my soapbox and have such a big outburst but enough is enough already. BTW You might wanna read what you've typed before hitting SUBMIT <--- in reference to your Poll

I really don't think that Luna Park in Sydney is (nowadays anyway) aimed at the thrill seeker market. It's just not feasible for them to do that in the location they're now in, and with the space they have. From the sounds of it, the new Luna Park opening next year will be focussed more on the historical aspects of the park (Coney Island etc.) with a slight fun fair element. With cafe's, restaurants, and the circus, it sounds very similar to the Fox Studios/Bent Street set-up, which has been very popular. (Not the actual "theme park" bit, but the shopping and restuarant area has been). So basically, what they seem to be aiming at is a mixed day/night-out venue with numerous activities you can enjoy. I don't think another coaster would be needed to compliment that right now. (There's always the Wild Mouse :D )

I think inspiration for the new Luna Park definitely came from what Fox Studios set up. They've also basically decided that there's a bunch of rides on-site that will help to boost popularity of the new park a little more. Coasters aren't everything there is to a park. I like djrappa's example with SFMM and Knotts (which I've not experienced... not for another 48 days anyway :)), but bringing it closer to home, look at Dreamworld up against Sea World. Many of you may believe (and there's nothing wrong with that) that Dreamworld is the better park for its superior collection of coasters/thrill rides, whereas myself and at least a few others would see Sea World as the better for its fantastic atmosphere and excellent staff. As for these alleged "ars holes" at Luna Park. I think the right thing to do is build something that attracts people, and keeps everyone happy. Regardless of your opinions on the Northshore residents (and I'm with you on probably all of it), they do live there now, that's not changing, and Luna Park have to keep them happy enough to get them off their back for the park's own good. Now, I'd love to see the place set up like an RCT park with coaster upon coaster with other rides everywhere, but the fact is, that's not happening any time soon - or ever. :)

Every one makes valid points. I think the most pervading aspect and the thing that i love most about Luna Park Sydney is the atmosphere. IMHO at it's peak, it was UNRIVALLED and I hope that the new version of the park will still be able to capture that magic!!. I would love more than anyone to see a new coaster at Luna and absolutely seethe at the stuck up rich bastards who live behind the park but unfortunately we have too work within the confines of the law(The Dipper was deemed too noisy by the EPA and this was ultimately its downfall)and its also a question of viability. What is the sense in building a new coaster that is ultimately going to be retarded in its operating times by a Govt agency and in essence would become a very expensive white elephant?? I personally think that to maintain viability Luna needs another main attraction that would be linked with the Luna circus. At the moment they are retaining every ride from the old incarnation of the park except for the Octopus( Sold to Aussie World) and of course the Dipper. The management at Luna have stated that they will intoduce new rides in holiday seasons(probably travelling flat carnival type rides) to keep the Luna experience fresh,space permitting However there are long term plans to re-introduce The River Caves Ride in some shape or form at some point down the road and this is encouraging. :D I feel that Luna Park missed out on a bargain when Sega World's Rail Chase was sold...it would have been perfect to fit in its current incarnation. Even the introduction of a ride like Dreamworlds Eureka Mine Car would be a fantastic element and could be easily done in the space provided. Its indoors, so no noise problems and is small and is also fairly unique. They could call it The Big Dipper Mine Car or something similar, utilise the old Big Dipper Mountain and theme it that way. A smaller version of Scooby Doo would also work well indeed. So whilst I dont think that any new large coaster's like Cyclone will ever be introduce its possible that a new enclosed Scooby Doo type coaster COULD be done, and done well. Whatever is done I hope that the historical element is preserved as is!! Comments on my ideas??? Do you guys think that an Indoor coaster would be a worthwhile solution,given the current environment?? Cheers Jobe Hey Rich.....have you forgotten 'bout the Mr Moon emoticon??? :mrgreen: :bert:

I would be inclined to agree that yes an indoor type coaster could be quite viable within the park and could probably be quite easily mixed in with the circus theming. Something like rail chase could have been perfect and could even have been combined both in and outdoors as the initial sections of the ride would have generated little noise with the later sections contained inside. Something to also be noted is a coaster with this style of vehicle (single cars as opposed to a large train) would generate a lot less human noise as you don't have that mass of people at once that you get with something like cyclone. I am also very eager to see the River Caves re-introduced, probably more so than another coaster. Ever since they opened the pervious Luna Park incarnation there were plans to build it but it never eventuated. I think something with a bit more thrill than the original would go great. My thoughts would be something in the style of Pirates at Disney as this is an indoor ride with still some great drops etc. Obviously the theming wouldn't be quite as outlandish but it could still be done well. All of this is great however IMO the best thing about Luna Park is the original stuff like the Rotar and Coney Island, was never much interested in the 'carnival' type rides.

I think you guys are perhaps forgetting about one thing - the Wild Mouse which is being reinstated into the new Luna Park. Jobe, you suggested they build a smaller version of Scooby Doo. Um, but that's kinda what the Wild Mouse is, minus the indoors part and the theming. Djrappa you mentioned that a coaster would work better at Luna Park if they utilised single cars... again that's the Wild Mouse. A lot of you also think it's a shame that the park missed out on Rail Chase. The fact is Rail Chase was never a particularly popular roller coaster. The track was very basic and did not deliver many thrills in the general publics opinion. I believe Sega used to get complaints about it all the time "I lined up for ages for THAT!?". The ride became slightly better when it was re-themed before Sega closed but still remained the same basic coaster. If you are talking about choosing one over the other, you would probably find that the general public would get more laughs and thrills out of the WM. Not to mention the fact that the WM is an outdoor ride and makes the most of the incredible Sydney harbour views. If you are talking about including BOTH rides in the park, well that doesn't make much sense either as they are both a tiny bit too similar (small single car coasters) and space at that park is PRECIOUS.

Im not forgetting about the mouse at all, its a great ride, mostly because of its age. The thing is its just that, it is getting on a bit and it wouldn't hurt the park to have more than 1 major ride like that. I think the only reason Rail Chase has been brought up is that is was so rediculously cheap and thus it would be a fairly good return on investment. I would have actualy thought RC was one of the more popular rides at SW. Simple fact is the park couldn't get away with another large outdoor coaster and they don't have the space to build a big looper indoors. If they did want to build another coaster they would have to go for something of the Wild Mouse type variety, that doesn't mean it has to be dodgy though. As I said before though, I would sooner see other things at the park over another coaster.

Indeed the only reason I brought up Rail Cahse is the fact that it DID go rediculously cheap and that it was an indoor coaster. I feel that if it had been re-themed it would have made a great home at Luna Park and indeed would have been more accessible at Luna than previously at Sega World. And whilst it was not all that big on the thrill factor, it was a great family ride which certainly fits in with Luna Park's new slant and angle. And yes whilst somewhat similar to the Wild Mouse, the fact that it is indoors and in the dark does provide a sense of enclosure and misdirection that the outside Wild Mouse never could. Therefore I believe they would complement each other quite well. Personally I think that a ride more in line with Dreamworld's Eureka Mine car would be a more satisfying venture-being partially enclosed and also reaching daylight it would be something special to see on the right hand side of the midway-hell they could even utilise the old existing tunnels in the cliff-face as part of the ride. It would also be fairly unique marketing point-there are only 2 other indoor coasters in Australia and NONE in NSW. Why not make it a spinning car model?? Add another twist. It wouldnt be affected by adverse weather. I really feel that the park should look at all these options as I belive that they would be on to a winner. Djrappa makes a great point by saying that the park needs 2 major rides,(The Wild Mouse and a new indoor coaster). I feel that couple this with the circus and the existing rides and you would have a well balanced park that meets most requirements for a enjoyable family outing. Plus the unbeaten atmosphere, accessibility, unrivalled location and night-time ride opportunities and Luna Park seems very inviting. What would like to see go in there before a coaster Djrapper?? How about you Goboi?? Any ideas?? Cheers Jobe

As I was saying before I'd really like to see them put in a really kick arse re-make of the River Caves. NSW is really lacking a decent water ride, well if you don't count Snowy (its rapids not a boat ride) we don't actualy have 1 at all. There is a fair bit of space they could use, after all there is the area vacated by the Big Dipper down the side and out the back where the big turnaround used to be... Don't know what that area is doing in the park now but that coupled with the space already in the mountain could work well.

hey listen luna park sydney has and always will be the same carnival type park. it is very small, yes i think they may squeeze in a roller coaster, but luna parks all around the world, were like the first parks every created, only on small land in large parts or cities around the world, for example melbourne, sydney, new york to name a few. its not about money luna park sydney is redeveloping the park at a minimum cost of $72 million. if you say that the park isnt doing anything your wrong. rides doesnt mean that the park is doing well. besides they may put the river caves back in the park as they told me that it could be the only solution to making more rides. Personally i think they are putting in the river caves, except not telling the public for a surprise.

Djrappa, Unfortunately the area where the old Dipper's sidewinder used to be will now be utilised as a kids area and this is where all the kiddie's rides will be located ,with the exception of the Ranger. I am not sure how much room that the Circus building takes up but their may indeed be some room down the side for a River Caves type ride..esp if they utilise the old tunnels in the cliff face. I would be extremely happy if they introduced a ride like this as well...it would be the extra "major attraction"that I feel that Luna Park needs!! Nightshifter-I am confused..what do you mean when you state-"besides they may put the river caves back in the park as they told me that it could be the only solution to making more rides." :? Only solution to making more rides????? They have told me on more than one occasion that they will offer more rides on a rotatational basis for holiday events etc....so what exactly does this mean????? Your statement makes NO sense whatso ever. :shock: I can also definetly relate that there ARE currently NO plans to put in the River Caves- it is just a desire. So unfortunatelty there wont be any "surprise" as they would have to be in the plans that are readily accesible to the public.Sorry-I wish that they would but they arent. :) Does anyone have any other ideas for an indoor coaster?? Something different to a Wild Mouse type ride yet one that could feasibly fit into Luna's small footprint?? Ideas guys?? :idea: Just a thought...Richard..how big was the Centrifuge at Expo'88. It Didnt look all that big and would probably be a killer coaster in the dark.....Food for thought!!! Also mate...how is the Mr moon icon coming along??? Havent forgotten yet?? :D Cheers Jobe

I figured that would probably have made use of the space however as you say I think there is more than enough room to work in a decent river caves attraction. Having never been to the original (pre95) park what are the tunnels you speak of? Is that where the origian RC used to run? Where exactly did they route the original ride?

lol true, but keep in mind it aint as powerful as tower of terror, it could be really small only about 100km/hr at 50 metres high. well i personally think as good as it is that they could get rid of coney island, and install a roller coaster there. remember luna park sydney had a roller coaster now called turbo mountain at adventure world. it could easily fit there.

NO WAY! The 2 best attractions at Luna Park are easily the Rotor and Coney Island...WHY?? Because they are something different. You can ride your carnival crap rides anywhere but Coney Island is a park of history and IMO in its current state far exceeds anything a coaster would do for the park.

NO WAY! I agree! No coaster could replace the history and nostalgic feeling that Coney Island has. The attractions in there are what MAKE Luna Park such an amazing place! Anyway, in reality, there's no chance of that happening anyway. Coney Island, amongst other buildings on the site (incl. The Crystal Palace [ballroom] and the Luna Park face towers) are historically listed now, I believe.

Djrappa,the original River Caves ride entrance was located to the right of the Dipper.Its course took it right under the Dipper track and behind the original Ghost Train. Behind the Dipper next to the cliff face was a small billabong where spare boats were kept. The tunnels or more specifically "Tunnel" I am referring to was a tunnel that was cut directly into the clifface behind the Ghost train. It opened up into a larger area. This was built during World War II as an air raid shelter and was only used once-when the Japanese midget submarines attacked the harbour. It was then used as a storage area. I am not sure of the original dimensions but it must have been fairly large as it was designed to accomodate patrons as well as staff in the event of a air raid. I am not sure what the plans are for this area but i do know that the tunnel is definetly being retained as it is of significant historical value. I thought that it would be a good idea to incorporate this somehow into a new River caves ride....being swallowed into the very clifface would be awseome!! :D As much as I would love another coaster to be introduced to Luna Park ,there is no way that i could condone it replacing Coney Island. :evil: .That place is IRREPLACEABLE. Anyone who suggests such a ludicrous idea surely doesnt understand the historical value and the atmosphere that is provided by Coney Island. :x And has been rightly pointed out,both Coney Island, The Rotor and the Face have heritage orders placed on them preventing their removal or destruction. :) If only one had been placed earlier on the old Big Dipper and prevented its destruction........ I would have dearly loved to have ridden this example of The Philadelphia Tobaggan Company's early works. The ride lasted for 3minutes and there could be up to three coaster trains on the track at any one time,travelling at close to 80km/h. You were raised 17 meters (small by todays standards I know) for a half a mile of track. There were apparently some excellent air time on the ride via the numerous camel backs scattered on the track. I only know of my father who has ridden it ..anyone else know of anyone...or anyone here ride it in their youth??? :?: The idea of putting in a Space Probe ride is completely out of the question. :rolleyes: Sure it doesnt need much room but we are searching for rides and solutions that wont be invasive onto the nearby residents. As Richard has rightly pointed out, I am sure that they wouldnt like to be looking at an example of one of these rides floating past their windows with the accompanying screams fading into the darkness below. No WAY..will never happen. What about the idea of Luna Park expanding somewhat behind the Coney Island area..where the old Dipper sidewinder used to be?? As I have stated before, there are already plans to put the kiddies rides and the Ranger there,so what would be the obstacles in them expanding further down that area?? I know that at the moment it is park land but surely the owners and operators could negotiate with the State Govt for use of this land?? You could still have a walkaroud promenade right to Lavender bay?? This area is also not as close to buildings as other sections of the park are,and could probably accomodate larger rides or attractions here quite safely... Food for thought.. :!: Beyond an indoor coaster or a River Caves ride i dont think we will see anything too major introduced into the park. There will definetly be a rotation of flat carnival type rides for different seasons but i dont think we will see anything much beyond what i have already stated. Very good discussion though..loving it!! Anyone else have any ideas??? Cheers, Jobe :P

• 1 month later...

Here's a thought!!! If Wonderland are not going to retain The Beastie, let Metro Edgely buy it and relocate it to the back of Coney Island at the back of the new kiddies area. This space is fairly far removed from any major buildings so noise wouldnt be a problem. I think with its relatively small footprint it would fit nicely. And having just looked at the Luna Park website,it states that where the old Dipper sidewinder used to run is a now a bitumen paved and grassed area where rides and a childrens playground will be.This land is all part of the Luna Park project. Surely something major and exciting could be done down in this space??? 8) Comments?? Cheers Jobe :bert:

holes for what, they cant fit anything in that park, luna park is known all around the world, from new york to australia for its heritage listing, its not about the rides, its the atmosphere of a night the entertainment the traditional carnival rides the traditional circus, luna aprk is trying to keep the park as traditional as possible. i wouldnt count on a new ride, but if i owned the park i would probably of bought the rail chase from sega world and installed it in the coney island room and helped people remember that teh ride is a NEW ghost train, to replace the old one. Luna park is fine the way it is for now.