3D Imax

Gazza

This one seems to have slipped through the net (Dreamworld_Rulz has really dropped the ball in terms of copying this up) but has anybody been into Imax since they introduced the 3D system in August? Apparently they are showing Space Station 3D http://www.dreamworld.com.au/content/stand...name=LatestNews which is not a bad film actually. I dont really blame anyone for missing this, the Imax has only ever shown older films that are rarely interesting. Is it comparable to what is on offer in Sydney and Melbourne?

Edited by Gazza

They've been playing 'Thrill Ride' again? That film is a decade old and so incredibly out of date. I thought it was outdated when I first saw it back in about 2001. I always liked how it runs out of roller coasters halfway through and decides to proclaim motion simulators as the next big thing. It's always a shame that Dreamworld have turned what could very easily be a major drawcard to the park into a very minor attraction by not giving it any attention. Granted it'd be more expensive to run if they kept the films up to date and fresh but surely then it'd warrant being more heavily promoted and the attraction could then actually serve a meaningful purpose within the park.

I never even knew it was 3D!
I know neither did I, and until i walked passed It i never knew that the Imax theatre was even at dreamworld.. If only they could play new-release movies such as The Bee in 3D and it would be free with a normal admission They can also make an advertisement on TV for the Imax theatre and advertise the latest film out each month Edited by PixelPushed

I was wondering if they would have to have two projectors now for the 3D movie to work or do they just layer the images on top of each other?
Only one projector would be used. 3D movies are generally shot with 2 cameras, side-by-side (like eyes) with filters on each camera. Back when they first started 3D, this was achieved by coloured lenses (e.g. red and blue) The red lens would only let red light through - the blue one would only let blue light through. The two images were then combined onto one film. To the naked eye, it would look like the image is ghosted, because you could see both the red and blue filtered images, but when you put 3D glasses on, one eye would only see the red and the other would only see the blue, creating the 3D effect. Unfortunately the colour filters meant that colour images didn't show right, so they started using polarised lenses. These are a bit more complicated - and only allow light through in one "direction". You can tell if a lens is polarised by holding it over a digital watch and rotating it. The display switches from visible to completely blank. (This is because digital watches use polarising lenses to make particular sections look black for the display.) The downside of the earlier "linear polarisation" is that tilting your head affects how the image is seen. More recently Disney has developed a method called "Real D", which uses "circular polarisation" (clockwise and counter-clockwise), which means it doesn't matter if the viewer tilts his or her head. It also alternates frames between L&R rather than actually overlaying the image (although it'd probably look exactly the same on the screen). For more informaton, check out the article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film