Restricted Seat Size

Niniane

I am taking 3 of my children to the Gold Coast next week for our first holiday in 7 years. We are all very excited about the trip and with the kids aged 16, 14 and 13, I expect we will be visiting some of the Theme parks during our stay. After reading about some of the parks on their websites, I noticed that Movie World specifies issues with restricted seat sizes. While I am not worthy of a medical monstrosity TV special, I am a larger lady and have previously had issues with the metal lap bar used on some of the rides at Luna park in Melbourne (my body has not coped well with having a number of kids and I cannot explain the shame felt when asked to remove myself from a ride full of holiday makers!!). Is anyone able to give me some insight as to whether or not I will have similar difficulties if I choose to try some of the rides here with the kids or should I save myself the embarrassment and simply sit back and watch?

I think that the main ride to watch out for is Scooby-doo spooky coaster: If you had trouble getting on previous rides, do not even bother, you will embarass yourself of everyone. queues up to 1 and a half hours on this ride. Make sure your kids ride this atleast once, best indoor ride there is. But you wont beable to watch your kids, its fully indoor. Make sure you get to this ride AS SOON as movieworld opens as queues can easily get up to 2 hours. The scooby-doo spooky coaster uses lap-bars and its a very tight fit sometimes

Edited by PixelPushed

I have heard that a larger friend of mine was not able to ride Superman Escape, but he is extremely large. If you're worried, why not call the theme parks and ask? They'll be able to tell you the specific rides where size may be a problem. I'd recommend Dreamworld and Seaworld. They both have enough to keep the family entertained even if you don't get to go on all the rides.

I have heard that a larger friend of mine was not able to ride Superman Escape, but he is extremely large. If you're worried, why not call the theme parks and ask? They'll be able to tell you the specific rides where size may be a problem. I'd recommend Dreamworld and Seaworld. They both have enough to keep the family entertained even if you don't get to go on all the rides.
but Movieworld is a must too, they have all the greatest attractions and moviestars, plus the craziest thrill rides So yeah Movieworld, dreamworld, seaworld is a MUST but seaworld is boring if you dont take the time to see all the shows, may i reccomend Imagine (the supposidly new dolphin show which was there 3 years ago), polar bears and all the other ones, and all the rides there

The only things that restrict you on Superman escape is how big your thighs are and if you chest touches the resistant (creating tension on the straps) Mw's rides are better for larger people then DW's, I'm tall and heavily boned (thick/heavy boned , that's what you get when your dads unfortunately Maori lol) and I can fit on all of Dw's rides, just.. my shoulders hurt on the claw and cyclone (can just fit on cyclone since they made the adjustments too the resistants) but I have no problems on mick doohan's moto coaster. But at MW I have no problems at all....same with W'n'W (surfrider) and sea world. People getting kicked off the rides for being too "large" has happened many times at all the parks so "if" you do, your not the first. I highly recommend Movie World. Zane.

Edited by zane

Thanks to everyone for the help/advice - it is much appreciated. My problems are definitely not my thighs but rather my chest and stomach (hence the problems with the lap bar as mentioned previously). While I am sure there are many other people who are not able to ride due to their size, this does not make me feel any more comfortable about being put in that position. I would much rather watch the kids and make sure they enjoy themselves. Anyway, thanks again!

At Dreamworld, the Claw and Mick Doohans motocoaster both have test seats out the front of the ride, so you can sit yourself in there and see if you can close the restraints properly before entering the ride. Giant Drop was built by the same manufacturer as the Claw so the seat system is the same, so if the Claw test seat is fine then Giant Drop will be too. Cyclone is fairly similar so that should be right. Wipeout has automatic restraints (and it doubles up, as there is a over shoulder restraint, and then a second T bar that closes on to it) so it can fit pretty much anyone. The water rides and Vortex have no restraints (well, Thunder River has a thick velcro lap belt which could fit anybody) At MW, Wild West Falls, looney tunes river ride and Batman adventure would cause no problems. Superman escape should be fine for you, the restraints look similar to most looping coasters, but the pressure is on your thighs (the contact point is well away from your torso..about halfway up your thigh), not on your chest or stomach. The thin straps that go over your chest do nothing, and dont touch the body) At SW, Bermuda Triangle, The Eye, Vikings Revenge would cause no problems. You could always drop by the Guest Relations office at each park and enquire, they would be able to deal with any questions.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went today, im of around average height, about 6ft, large build (and i mean large build, im not talking about being fat here, chest is a little below 130cm). Im fat at about 135kg, but ive seen much bigger people out and about every day. We went on everything today and ive got a few observations for people who arent the usual 170lbs they build these rides around. Ill be honest about it all, im not going to be nice about it, if you are fat, you are fat, deal with it, dont get upset with the term. Scooby Doo - Pretty much most people can fit, you would have to be pretty fat (much larger than iam) to have problems, the seats are fairly large, however tall people who are also overweight might have issues. The problem i found is, if you have long legs it is a little cramped (especially at the front), you have no choice but to bend your legs to fit, if you are overweight, this will mean it pushes your stomach out too. This can create problems for the lap bar, i actually saw someone who was only maybe 10kg overweight today, forced to get off the ride as he couldnt get the bar down low enough because of his long legs (this thighs wouldnt allow it to lock in place). Suggestion? if you are a little overweight and worried about riding, sit in the back of each train, this is because from behind, the leg room is much larger. The space opens up under the seats in front of you, i could stretch my feet out as far in front as possible, giving you much more room, this should give you the best opportunity to get on the ride. Lethal Weapon - Again, will take some pretty large people, with one major problem. If you have wide shoulders, even if you are in shape, you could be in for some trouble. As said before, unfortunately i have a large build coupled with my size, this means wide shoulders. Today i rode lethal weapon about half a dozen times and i have to say, it kicked my arse. Sitting in the seats, pulling the restraint down, i find that, even with my size, my stomach isnt a problem. I can pull the top down far enough so the strap has about an inch of free play left, so its far from the end of its limit. However, what i find is, the molded section designed to fit the profile of your shoulders does not even go close to fitting me. The curved edge of the padding that is designed to run down over your upper arm actually starts just over the tip of my shoulder as it leads into the upper arm. Nothing you can do about it im affraid, if you are any wider than iam, you might be forced off the ride due to discomfort, or simply not being able to get it locked in place. Suggestion? you are simply going to fit or you arent, no real way around it. However, a couple of things that might be of use if you do indeed fit on it. The harness does allow more play than superman so it has a slightly relaxed fit compared to it. If you are bigger, what i suggest you do is when the operator comes around, breathe out fairly deeply and have them see if they can get it down one more click. What i found happened is this allowed me to fill out the odd (for me) shape of the padding, creating a tighter fit, holding me in place a great deal better. Basically, what i found i could do was puff out my chest and stomach a little during the ride which really held me in place nice and snug. The difference between doing this and going about it as normal was a stark contrast. With - Tight fit, still easy to breathe, holds me in place, little impact to shoulders, kept back in the seat, easy to keep your head upright and back. Results in less banging around in the harness, my ears thanked me for it. Also results in a much smoother ride, even in some of the jolts lethal weapon has :) Without - Not a tight fit, can rock around a little in the seat, doesnt hold you in place quite as well. Movement means loads of force from the padding is placed on the shoulders and upper arm if like me. Very rough ride, head moves around a hell of a lot more, hard to enjoy it. Superman - The harness system is a little different and designed to be a tighter fit than usual. The only requirements, regardless of size, is simple. 1. Restraint has to come over and touch your legs (thigh), to hold you in place. 2. The Tie down across the center has a mandated yellow line in the strap. The operator has to be able to pull this strap through the buckle far enough that a yellow line stitched into it is visible from the outside. No line, no ride, thats it, even if you can fit in the harness. 3. When in place, there shouldnt be large amounts of pressure around the rib cage, the shoulder section of the harness isnt designed around this, thats why it clamps down so far on your legs. They generally require you to have a bit of space around the restraint, if you are pressed up hard against it, particulary in the middle of the chest, it will raise issues with the operator. I found this to be a tighter fit, again mainly due to leg room again. This time my stomach fat was a bit of a problem, you have to be able to pull the bar down so it touches the thigh, the lack of leg space when i rode means having to tuck your knees up a little (though both times i only rode in the very front, so someone else might be able to comment on room behind?), which means your stomach is going to get in the way. Again, its simply going to be a case of being able to fit or not. For the record, i could fit, even with my large chest size, i loved every minute of the ride and was comfortable right through it. What i did notice is the staff are on the ball as far as people go. Dont take offence if they stop you and ask if you have ridden the ride before, they only have concerns about you being able to fit in the ride. Its not their fault, they are only doing their jobs and were very courteous about the whole thing. If this happens to you, or if you have any worries about fitting, speak to the attendant at the entry to the ride, explain your situation and they will accomodate you by sending you around to the exit of the ride to test out the seating prior to lining up. They have no problems in doing this if you should ask, but make sure you ask first and explain the situation. I did this for superman after riding lethal weapon and asking if the harness comes down any tighter, it was then suggested when riding superman to speak to the attendant (or someone in the gift shop) first and get a trial fit, before lining up like everyone else. And for the record (again, lol), they werent really concerned about my girth (hah, stomach fat, nice people :lol: , but rather the width of my shoulders. I rode scooby doo 3 times before going back in the afternoon to be asked by a new attendant if i had been on the ride before (i knew what was coming), seeing as i had, i knew it wouldnt be a problem, but i asked him if it was an issue could i test fit the seat before lining up? again, no problem. So yeah, to save any embarrising situation (and frankly, i really dont think there is all that much to worry about anyway) or time lining up, just speak to someone first. Only one that might be an issue could be lethal weapon in peak times as both loading and unloading occur at the same place, and given the control panel is on the otherside of the platform. But just take a walk up the exit ramp when its being off loaded and ask, i dont think you will find its a problem, they will try to help you out. So yeah, if its of help to people out there, good, but if you are a larger size unfortunately you are going to face some issues with comfort and the ability to ride. It happens, the staff know it happens and it doesnt really bother them, so you shouldnt let it bother you either :)

Edited by Mad Hatter

I am planning a trip to Surfer's later this year and am a little concerned over the coaster restraints. ^ I am about the same size, 6'1" & 130kg or so, so your post has put me at ease a little. I am just wondering whether you have ever tried a standard B&M restraint? I was recently lucky enough to be in Florida but could not fit into the standard seats on the B&M coasters at Islands of Adventure or Busch Gardens, though I did fit the "big boy" seats that they have on all of those coasters thankfully (Sheikra FTW!). Also, do you have any trouble with Dreamworld or Seaworld's rides? Thanks, Bryce

Coming from a person who used to be that sort of weight, i'll provide some input. At Dreamworld, you most likely won't be able to do The Giant Drop, the Claw, the Motocoaster, Runaway Reptar and some of the smaller flats. You should be fine for the Tower of Terror and the Cyclone though. Your only real concern at Sea World is the Corkscrew, however with the Corkscrew the restraint system is just simply the restraint, without the fancy seatbelts and whatnot. I think I have covered everything, anyone else think of any other rides?

Not in recent years, no, only B&M ride ive been on was nemesis in the UK, but that was a good 7 years ago and i was a fair bit thinner then :) No problems at dreamworld recently, claw was ok, but the restraints werent a great fit either. Wipeout, fit fine, though i hate it. Ill just say to you, make sure they push the harness down tight against you, make sure you breathe out to try and get a great fit. Cyclone is fine too, though my ears do cop a bit of a rubbing, i find the trick to keeping still on it is to push up with my feet, helps keep my back straight and my head up. Giant drop was fine for me? i didnt have any problems like the person above. Its not exactly comfortable, but you cant expect something to fit you perfectly if you are quite a bit larger than the average person. Tower of terror is a bit of an issue, but its just all my legs. I have longer than average legs it seems and i find the space is really cramped. I have to make really sure i sit straight up and as far back as possible otherwise im not getting in. Havent been to seaworld in quite awhile, so i cant really comment there.

Edited by Mad Hatter

• 5 years later...

I know this was posted a few years back, but I found it helpful before I went to do the theme parks last week and thought someone else might need to read it one day.

I am 166cm tall, weigh 105kg (but lost 4kg last week just from running around like a lunatic when I was up there!) and wear size 16-18 pants and size 14 shirts. I didn't get questioned by any of the staff and I was able to go on all rides without a fuss. The Claw and the Motorcoaster at Dreamworld were the only rides I felt slightly uncomfortable on (motorcoaster only because I have big calves, but still I got on without a fuss), but apart from that, all was fine. Giant Drop's seats are exactly the same as The Claw, so if you can get on one, you can get on the other. In saying that I felt slightly uncomfortable, there were much, much bigger people than me getting on and were perfectly fine. Cyclone is very roomy, as is the Wipeout, and there was still PLENTY of room on the Buzzsaw. I hold most of my weight in my bum and thighs, and was very worried about the Scooby Doo and Superman rides at Movieworld after reading reviews, but I didn't have a problem with either of them. All other rides were fine, and I didn't have an issue fitting on any of the other rides. Rides at Wet'N'Wild, Seaworld and Whitewater world were not an issue. There are weight restrictions on the slides at Wet'N'Wild and Whitewater world, I think 180kg combined weight, and you have to be between 45kg and 120kg to do the aqualoop at WNW (you have to stand on a scale at the beginning of the lineup for this ride). Apart from that, as long as you are comfortable and the restraints fit properly, you will be fine.