Wonderland's (tight) budget

GoGoBoy

I went to post the following in the 'Space Probe vs Giant Drop' debate but read Richard's post re steering back on topic so decided to create a new topic for this. Some of my comments do follow on from the other topic though... You'd probably find that a lot of the current management WOULD like to implement the various improvements you guys have mentioned above but it all comes down to one thing... money. My guess is that the Malaysian owners have put out a directive to keep operating costs at an absolute minimum... thereby increasing returns to their shareholders. I know that Sunway has had a tough couple of years financially so their goal has been to gain maximum profits from their existing assets through minimum expenditure. Sad but true. So keeping that in mind you have to realise that even small improvements cost money. When you look at a place as big as Wonderland you can imagine that there would be tons of requests from the various departments every day for various expenditure. I'd imagine the CEO's goal is to spend money only on the essential items. Unfortunately though, Sunway (Wonderland's owner) will be able to continue to get away with this so long as people keep visiting Wonderland. At this stage it seems that they still manage to pull the crowds. It's hugely popular with the family market (particularly those western suburbs families). I also understand that a large proportion of Sydney's middle eastern community (families and teenagers) are happy to continue to support Wonderland also. So until these people stop visiting and renewing their Wonderpasses, Sunway probably won't start spending.

It would be nice for WS to be able to spend as much money as they like on all the requests put in by all departments (there are about 11 or 12, and some of those have more then one section). As you can see the number of requests for expeniture would be enormous, any with an owner (including shareholders) cannot possible spend all the money required. Yes WS is in a poor state but it is better then it was about a year ago. Money is being spent but people outside the park (non-workers) dont see where alot of this goes. ~Former

Granted Former re: maintenance requests. Still as you'd know, if a problem was mentioned about a ride, it'd still be the same the next day. Something that could more than likely be fixed without getting a contractor. Simple stuff like making sure tv screens and monitors are working. Light globes needing replacing. Microphone not working because of a loose connection on the mic. Easy stuff I'm referring to. I'm not saying major jobs like painting etc. As a matter of interest Former, how long has it been since you've been there?

Actualy with a proper AV maintenance team as Wonderland should have things like getting monitors and lights working is a pretty simple job. There isn't much that can go wrong with those sorts of systems. There is just no excuse for bad or non existant ride upkeep. If you don't have the ability to properly maintain the rides they should never be built in the first place.