New childrens ride for dreamworld

dodge53

If the Stingray ran like Chance Trabant's are MEANT to run, you will find that they are actually a very fast ride with rather high G Forces. Just look at this video here:

That shows what the Stingray IS capable of if they beef it up. I mean... I know it's a kid's ride, but even then it's very slow for one of them. Anyone remember the "Roulette Wheel" that used to be where the Wipeout lives now? If anyone here has rode it could you tell us what the ride experience was like? I'm sure it's 10x Better than what it is now (as it's the same ride)

I have recently found out that Dreamworld is or has planed for a new childrens ride for the theme park, I am unsure if this is the stingray rebuilt they a refering to or if this is a totaly new ride.
And where did this information come from? You seem to have a lot of "inside information". The Stingray is back in place, but wasn't running on Saturday when I was there. It's no longer on the "Ride and Attraction Maintenance" page so it might be up and running again now.

If the Stingray ran like Chance Trabant's are MEANT to run, you will find that they are actually a very fast ride with rather high G Forces. Just look at this video here:
That shows what the Stingray IS capable of if they beef it up. I mean... I know it's a kid's ride, but even then it's very slow for one of them. Anyone remember the "Roulette Wheel" that used to be where the Wipeout lives now? If anyone here has rode it could you tell us what the ride experience was like? I'm sure it's 10x Better than what it is now (as it's the same ride)
The roulette wheel opened originally at the same time as the Reef Diver (then Enterprise) - The Enterprise ride has since been completely replaced but the stingray was just remodelled. It was always a slow ride, but I know what you mean, I have ridden versions of this ride at Carnivals (there was one doing the rounds years ago called "UFO") and these rides can be quite thrilling - there are several modes that the ride can function including, rotate with rotating angle, no rotating angle with fast rotation and no rotation with fast rotating angle - all of which can operate in forwards and backwards modes.

When it first opened I recall it being mildly more thrilling but it never operated the cool manouveres the ride type was renowned for - I believe it was toned down a few years before it was moved from the wipeout site when it later became stingray. I often thought the main reason why this was never such a wild ride was because the design was potentially too unsafe to operate it in such a way

And where did this information come from? You seem to have a lot of "inside information". The Stingray is back in place, but wasn't running on Saturday when I was there. It's no longer on the "Ride and Attraction Maintenance" page so it might be up and running again now.
Lets just say I know some people. :lol::lol:

About 2 weeks ago we had a Staff Meeting at WWW (White Water World) and they mentioned 2 new rides at DW that should be done by 2010 one of them is a kids ride but the second one i'm giving 1 hint hint " its gonna be big." if u can't figue out what its gonna be do some reasearch

Edited by www worker

What do you mean "think about it", there are loads of big rides out there, so that still isn't enough info for people to work out what you are on about. Do you mean this? p12630.jpg I mean that is a big ride isn't it? Or what about this? p9599.jpg Thats a pretty big ride too. See what I'm getting at? Don't be arrogant just because you know something. I'm with Myk, Ill believe it when I see it. And anyway, i doubt they mean what they say...Mick Doohans was said to be thrill ride, and it isn't, so when they are talking about a "big ride", I doubt it would even be 40m tall!

Edited by Gazza

Guest jake-train

Yeah your rite Gazza that is a big ride but i was just like thinking? If DW did think about to try and build a ride like that were the hell would it be built like what i did here from my uncle who works at dreamworld well he builds stuff there and he said that there were plans for some short of kids ride themed on the out back of Austraila at the back of the park. But like i'll have to look in to it more <_<

Edited by jake-train

What do you mean "think about it", there are loads of big rides out there, so that still isn't enough info for people to work out what you are on about. Do you mean this? p12630.jpg I mean that is a big ride isn't it? Or what about this? p9599.jpg Thats a pretty big ride too. See what I'm getting at? Don't be arrogant just because you know something. I'm with Myk, Ill believe it when I see it. And anyway, i doubt they mean what they say...Mick Doohans was said to be thrill ride, and it isn't, so when they are talking about a "big ride", I doubt it would even be 40m tall!
They are Looking at A Mega or a Giga Coaster they are looking at building one doesn't mean there gonna build one p.s. sorry about the late reply

I don't think that dreamworld would install a stratacoaster accellerator like kingda ka or top thrill dragster. They are very expensive and require a heavy maintainence schedule and tend to break down regularly. They also roll back alot (although i think that might be fun). But i will say that they do seem to like launched rollercoasters.

Hi Everyone. Just found an old picture of Dreamworld's Stingray here http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2502034570015981698aBYAMC Just thought some people would take interest to it.
I rode a version of this ride called the UFO a couple months back. It actually was fast and had a ton of 'air time'. I rode it twice, and I only ever ride a flat twice if I think anything of it. After reading about Dreamworlds 'Stingray' I think it's a shame that Dreamworld will not run the ride the way it was originally intended. It's just like if you ran a Zipper but at such a slow speed the cages never flip. I hope that made sense. Flip.

Hope to get to the park over the weekend, depending on weather, so will let you know if there has been any movement around the "old" location of Stingray. As far as the mega/giga rumors...I know that the park has looked into these rides before, but if I had to put my money on a new coaster for the park, would look at something launched, but it would be either an Australian or Southern Hemisphere first. Would be looking at a ride with a compact footprint rather than one that takes up too much room. And I just can't see DW getting another permit to build a ride as high as a mega/giga coaster again. They had to jump through a lot of loops just to get the permit for Cyclone and it is only 35 or so meters tall. I still remember the construction being held up on that coaster just for that permit, or at least that is what the park was telling us at the time. UPDATE: Stingray is in and operating, but it no longer has the octopus top on it. Looks like all the main supports have been either replaced or just repainted. The plywood boards have also been replaced, as you can see they are new from the underneath during the ride operation. The other interesting thing I did notice is a lot of large earth moving machines are in a fenced off area behind the pirates tent towards the road. We all know that the new water park section is starting soon, but could this gear be for the rumored new kids attractions coming to DW....as always, only time will tell.

Edited by thunder001